Two Moutons and various other things

Comte Flaneur

Two Moutons and various other things

Post by Comte Flaneur »

First the various other things

The Sorrel Hermitage Les Recoules Blanc 2002, part of a batch which I picked up at auction a year or two ago, is fully mature with a lovely herb garden entrance and good persistence for what is deemed a weak vintage.

Both the St Emilions were fully mature and most satisfying with textbook clean plummy fruit especially in the 1998 Clos De L’Oratoire, while the Moulin St-Georges 2004 was more in a traditional mould…neither of them had the complexity of the top St Emilion wines, but both are good mid-week quaffers.

The Grasso Gavarini Langhe I think may include some declassified fruit from grander sites and was scrummy even though the awkward foursquareness of the 2017 vintage was on full display.

The star of the show however was the Vallouit Les Roziers Cote Rotie 1998 which Blanquito flagged up to me and we shared in a case. This bottle was appreciably better than the first one a few months ago: old school northern Rhone at its very best. Blind I would have guessed a Noel Verset Cornas. Wild and feral with olives, brine, meaty, slate, iron and herbal notes with a line of spikey high-toned acidity.

IMG_0717.jpeg
Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Two Moutons and various other things

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The two Moutons were drank at Elystan Street restaurant in Chelsea with my former mentee from Connecticut days, now a successful hedge fund manager. Annoyingly the 1995 was too warm so I had to fight against an incredulous ‘sommelier’ to manage the temperature down. The 1989 was another good bottle with so much multi-faceted flair and raciness though not quite as spectacular as the one I had back in May. I may be wrong but I don’t think the 1989 Mouton will make old bones. No point in waiting in these if you have some. The 1995 has much more density and dark matter on the mid-plate and is still backward and brooding - unlike the 1996 which is really coming into its own now. I have had it a few times and it is a great wine in the making but still one or two Blanquitos away from showing at its very best.

IMG_0721.jpeg
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Last night I drank Belair Monange 2010, which was pretty darn good, and tonight I am torn between opening a Lynch 2004 and a Gruaud 2005, I will report back.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmm those two immediately recognizable labels as 1989 and 1995 remind of great Mouton experiences of yore. I need to drink a Mouton before the year is over.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Outstanding Comte on les deux Mouton. We had the 95 last year and tighter than a bulls arse still! How was yours? Not your arse!! :lol:
Danny
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nicely done Ian and curious to hear your thoughts about the 2004 Lynch Bages as I found an attractive price in the wholesale channels which is well below market and would prefer your thoughts versus trying to form an opinion based on mixed cellartracker reviews.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jckba wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:12 pm Nicely done Ian and curious to hear your thoughts about the 2004 Lynch Bages as I found an attractive price in the wholesale channels which is well below market and would prefer your thoughts versus trying to form an opinion based on mixed cellartracker reviews.
Hi JC the context for the 04 Lynch purchase- what a steal it tuned out to be - was that going a few years back it was a class above the opposition in London horizontals in the 1995 and 2004 vintages in particular, both of which helped to restore my faith in Lynch Bages and helped me understand that this estate really does deserve its de facto ‘super second’ status.

Last night, in a coin flip I opted to drink the magnificent 2005 Gruaud Larose - take it away Jane (Anson - deduct two points for her exuberance)

Needs coaxing out of the glass, as is true with so many 2005s even at 16 years old, but straight off the first nose you get the most beautiful nuance and turmeric-strewn spice. It's exotic if subtle, with a creamy texture, grilled oak, black chocolate shavings, cassis and raspberry, all with the most beautiful sense of tiptoing through the palate, holding the line. Exceptionally well balanced, slate and smoked earth, giving signature St Julien finesse. You have really had to be patient for this wine, but it is utterly spellbinding, and starting to show its potential. Harvest September 20 to October 10. This one really does benefit from being carafed, because it keeps so much of itself hidden (I tasted it once in a carafe and once straight from the bottle). Brilliant, full of flavour. Harvest September 20 to October 11, 35% new oak.

Jane Anson, JaneAnson.com, November 2021

I will pop one of my 04 Lynches in the next few days JC
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Other than the 82 and 86, I've had very limited success with Mouton (and Latour, but I've had so few of those). In contrast, Haut Brion and Lafite almost always are a thrill.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I have one bottle of 89' Mouton left and I've been holding onto it for sentimental reasons. Next year will be our 35th anniversary so I'd like to hang onto until then, unless you think it should be popped sooner.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

It is drinking beautifully aged 34 - I am sure it will last another year Gerry - unless you have stored it inbetween the pizza oven and the tumble dryer ! ? 😳
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Storage shouldn't be an issue 😂. Thks for the info
AKR

Post by AKR »

I've had a couple of 2002 Hermitage blanc in the last few years and have been amazed with how good they were.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the report Ian. I always wanted to buy 1 or 2 bottles of the 1995 Mouton, but never pulled the trigger. And a pre-wedding bottle of thec1996, opened by JeanFred was fabulous, so would stick to that one vs 1995, when i read your reports on the 1995.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes Nic the 1996 is the safer better bet right now but I certainly would not write off the 1995 - it just needs an age
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jckba wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:12 pm Nicely done Ian and curious to hear your thoughts about the 2004 Lynch Bages as I found an attractive price in the wholesale channels which is well below market and would prefer your thoughts versus trying to form an opinion based on mixed cellartracker reviews.
Magnifique! Even slightly better than the sublime clean as a whistle 2005 Gruaud which Jane Anson gave 98 points.

The 2004 Lynch is ever so classical and glorious - leaning old school - Pauillac - so glad I snagged these
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Bin soiled labels so got em on the cheap

IMG_0824.jpeg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Baby doll.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

How’s the 02 Lynch?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I would not buy the 2002 Lynch. It is a classic Pauillac beauty while it lasts, but comes up woody and short in the end.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:42 pm I would not buy the 2002 Lynch. It is a classic Pauillac beauty while it lasts, but comes up woody and short in the end.
We need a thumb-up/like button!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:10 pm
Hi JC the context for the 04 Lynch purchase- what a steal it tuned out to be - was that going a few years back it was a class above the opposition in London horizontals in the 1995 and 2004 vintages in particular, both of which helped to restore my faith in Lynch Bages and helped me understand that this estate really does deserve its de facto ‘super second’ status.

Last night, in a coin flip I opted to drink the magnificent 2005 Gruaud Larose - take it away Jane (Anson - deduct two points for her exuberance)

Needs coaxing out of the glass, as is true with so many 2005s even at 16 years old, but straight off the first nose you get the most beautiful nuance and turmeric-strewn spice. It's exotic if subtle, with a creamy texture, grilled oak, black chocolate shavings, cassis and raspberry, all with the most beautiful sense of tiptoing through the palate, holding the line. Exceptionally well balanced, slate and smoked earth, giving signature St Julien finesse. You have really had to be patient for this wine, but it is utterly spellbinding, and starting to show its potential. Harvest September 20 to October 10. This one really does benefit from being carafed, because it keeps so much of itself hidden (I tasted it once in a carafe and once straight from the bottle). Brilliant, full of flavour. Harvest September 20 to October 11, 35% new oak.

Jane Anson, JaneAnson.com, November 2021

I will pop one of my 04 Lynches in the next few days JC
Ian
I've got a case of the 2005 Gruaud Larose - you are temping me to open one soon.
cheers
mark
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:54 pm Bin soiled labels so got em on the cheap

IMG_0824.jpeg
Love bin soiled labels. Usually cheaper, and there tends to be little or no ullage.

However make sure it doesn’t come from a flooded cellar.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Love to hear that about the 2005 GL.... Have a magnum resting deep in slumberland