2002 Clos des Lambrays

William P

2002 Clos des Lambrays

Post by William P »

Another anniversary wine. I just saw my note on last year's wine the 1982 Grand Puy Lacoste and decided to post this years wine. It was our 47th anniversary and I brought a 2002 Clos des Lambrays to the restaurant.

This is simply an outstanding Grand Cru. It is just beginning to enters its tertiary phase. Though the lighting was not the best in the restaurant, no bricking color was noticed. Still youthful.

On the the nose it is earthy, dark berry, some wood spice. It's a very muscular wine. Medium plus body, with a healthy dose of tannin. Beautifully balanced with fruit, acid, and tannins. It's in a perfect drinking place but it could last another 20 years.

On the palate you taste what the nose presents, earth, loam, blackberry, kiss of old leather, and some spice. Balance, power, this wine had it all.

As I recall, Nic brought this to the SF Friday night convention dinner many years ago. I am please to say, it is still singing.
AKR

Re: 2002 Clos des Lambrays

Post by AKR »

Maybe I need to save more of those wedding year wines. I might be too casual in consuming them...
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Thanks for the note and congrats on 47 years!

I have a magnum of 2002 Clos des Lambrays and very glad to hear how well it is drinking and that you think the plateau of maturity is long. 2002 is our anniversary year but I don't think I'll hold that bottle out until our 47th ;)

SF Ed
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nice, I have a '14 Clos Lambray...2002 is a lovely burg vintage...interesting fact.. some people think this is a monopole, but it's not... This is due to Merme Taupenot, they had a tiny vegetable garden that is part of the Lambray parcel and they ended up ripping it up and planting vines...so they too have a Clos Lambray bottling...production is half a barrel per year making it one of the rarest Grand cru burgs. I have a '14 of this too.

Happy Anniversary!🍾🥂
stefan

Post by stefan »

Congratulations, Bill & Linda. That's a great wine to have on your anniversary.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy anniversary to Linda and you Bill.

For the record, in SF, it is JeanFred who brought a magnificent 2005 Clos des Lambrays.

I brought a 2005 Meo-Camuzet Vosne Romanée that was faulty (extra sulphur smell and taste).

I have one bottle of the 2003 Clos des Lambrays here, and should open it soon.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Happy anniversary Bill and Linda, two of the nicest people on BWE.
Clos des Lambrays is a crazy good wine, we used to get it for so cheap back in the day but now the prices are out of reach.