BWE in Manhattan….

jal

Re: BWE in Manhattan….

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:05 pm My wine of the night was the 1985 Leoville Las Cases. To me it was in just a perfect place, a-point.
Mine too
And I thought it had a pretty nice bouquet. I am surprised Patrick didn't think so. The Lafite was great but I thought the nose was very shy.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

There was like no bouquet at all on the Lafite nose with my first glass, I went for a healthy second pour later and it had opened up significantly.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I think the Lafite and Latour were both sorely in need and would have greatly benefitted from a decant. Initial tastes of both were very primary for me and were all about future potential.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

jckba wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 pm I think the Lafite and Latour were both sorely in need and would have greatly benefitted from a decant. Initial tastes of both were very primary for me and were all about future potential.
I agree about the Latour for sure. I think the Lafite really blossomed with bottle air after an hour or so though and might have lost something with a decant. Take that with a grain of salt though as I am generally anti decanting.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Part of my issue with LLC’s bouquet is specific to LLC in general, as I find it kind of boring, especially compared to the stunning noses on the PLL, Mouton, Latour, etc. ironically given how much I liked the 96, I often feel the same way about Cos!

Probably because we are so spoiled on BWE with epic red wines, the ones I keep thinking about from that night are the champagnes and the Ygrec. They just stood out so much.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

It is interesting to read all your comments. At the end, it seems that BWEers are always drinking the same bottles.

Not the 98 Lafite, but all other i had them 2-3 times each, at different BWE events. All great wines, but different bottles shine at different night.

But the 1985 LLC has always been rewarding to me. The 1982 Cos was my best wine of the Thursday night diner in Denver. The 1996 Mouton at JeanFred's place last May was great. The 1994 Pichon Lalande is like the 1994 LLC, one of the best of that vintage.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a wonderful coda to my weekend in NYC, enjoying a lovely bottle of 170 Krug that Jim snagged in NH and hauled to the city on our behalf. Cheers, BD!
Attachments
71306507007__728733EF-51CC-46D0-8C5D-25F1FF2CD2C4.jpeg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Finalizing our tours of the Vatican, and Sistine Chapel, and Colosseum, and Michelin restaurants… Can’t wait! A tough pretrial suppression hearing on Monday in a murder case before we leave… But life is good!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Super jealous, Jim… I found Rome so enchanting. Have a great trip.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

I don't know how you do these whirlwind tours like surgical strikes in and out. The jet lag kills me now both ways and three days in Rome even if it was offered for free I'd pass with all of the castles air travel brings today. Once you're there you'll love it and yes Vatican City is fabulous. St Peter's Basilica is amazing and usually you don't have to wait to get in. The view from the Duomo I think is worth the trek to the top to see the city from above. Sistine Chapel if you are fortunate to get in is priceless but wait time last time was hours so we passed having seen it before. There is so much to see and wander by that you won't have enough time without a guided tour or hop on hop off bus to give you an overview and good way to get oriented in a new place. The place is huge with lots spread out so plan before you go and enjoy.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks Danny yes we are hiring private guided tours, early morning visit to the Sistine Chapel, etc. The jet lag is indeed tricky but we’re just doing it. We’ve booked some fancy restaurants as well. I’ve got 152 felony cases, including 6 murder cases, I just got my Medicare card, I’m about 22 months away from getting full social security, we put together a list of 20 places we want to visit, I’m going to work hard and play hard! Even these quick four night trips require a lot of finessing with my court schedule. I’ve never been to Italy, can’t wait!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Have a great trip, Jim. Rome is sooo beautiful. And even absent *'s, it is hard to get a bad meal.

Be sure you protect your billfold--front pocket only.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Vatican is amazing, but crowded infinitely when i was there early July.

I particularly liked the geographic room with all the old maps.

I would go back to Roma anytimes. Great city, great scenery, great food at the right prices. But no free place to swim or getting wet when it is warm...
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Can’t wait! We’re going before visitor hours, I guess we’ll see how that goes.
jal

Post by jal »

Have a great time
Post some photos
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:09 pm Have a great trip, Jim. Rome is sooo beautiful. And even absent *'s, it is hard to get a bad meal.
So true, EXCEPT during riposo! Every single credible, non-tourist-trap restaurant is closed for ~3 hours at midday! Also, avoid any and all venues that have photos of their food displayed anywhere, but especially out front!