Mouton 1985

Musigny 151

Mouton 1985

Post by Musigny 151 »

I have known how good 1985 is on the Right Bank, and I have enjoyed some from the left. We did a tasting of California 1985 versus Bordeaux, with Bordeaux just about winning and the clear winners Cheval Blanc and Mouton.

That was several years ago, so when I came across an offer of Mouton magnums, I thought it my sworn duty to try a bottle from my cellar before buying. Roast leg of lamb and Pauillac is a great match, and the Mouton was up to the task. An incredibly expressive nose, cassis, pencil lead, herb and anise. On the palate, it took the best part an hour to wake up (I decanted it only a half hour before dinner) but once fully awake, it showed beautifully. Although it lacked the density of the 1986, this was a much more elegant wine, and exquisitely balanced with a finish that stretched into minutes. Not quite ready now, and no hurry to drink.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Mouton 1985

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Musigny 151 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:17 pm I have known how good 1985 is on the Right Bank, and I have enjoyed some from the left. We did a tasting of California 1985 versus Bordeaux, with Bordeaux just about winning and the clear winners Cheval Blanc and Mouton.

That was several years ago, so when I came across an offer of Mouton magnums, I thought it my sworn duty to try a bottle from my cellar before buying. Roast leg of lamb and Pauillac is a great match, and the Mouton was up to the task. An incredibly expressive nose, cassis, pencil lead, herb and anise. On the palate, it took the best part an hour to wake up (I decanted it only a half hour before dinner) but once fully awake, it showed beautifully. Although it lacked the density of the 1986, this was a much more elegant wine, and exquisitely balanced with a finish that stretched into minutes. Not quite ready now, and no hurry to drink.
I agree Mark.Good bottles of 1985 Mouton are more exciting than the ever dependable 85 LLC. I generally prefer the 85 Mouton to the 86 just based on the number of disappointments with the latter.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmm many years ago, at least 15-18 years ago, I brought a 1985 Mouton magnum to a Thanksgiving Day family dinner, I remember it being a-point back then....
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

One of my favorite meals is a rack of lamb and Pauillac with some serious age on it. I think I know what I'm making for dinner this Saturday now