I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacation..

JimHow

Re: I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacati

Post by JimHow »

Yes. The 2014 vintage is the perfect match for Sociando Mallet. For my taste the vintage brings out exactly what we love about Sociando Mallet, the restraint, classic style, it is medium bodied and just so representative of that estate. I had about eight bottles, I’ve drunk I think about three of them, including this past week, and I am going to buy another case. Very easy to drink now, no rough edges, but that doesn’t mean it is not going to age, it will drink great for 20+ years. Light on its feet. Best Sociando Mallet ever. 96 points.
Blanquito

Re: I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacati

Post by Blanquito »

Price just shot up!

*I remember when folks were singing this when it was $28.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nice, have a case of mags but might have to also look into getting a case of 750s as well so I can start dipping my toes.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

That wine is the definition of a BWE wine. I bought 4 bottles around $35 a piece a the end of 2021 on you and OB's love of it. Might be time to crack another soon and see if I should acquire more. I remember it being beautiful on open and then clinching up some.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great choice Jim and I agree Joel. I've already Howed a whole case of 2014 Sociando over the course of a year. I was late to the game and paid $40. I see it's now at $43.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I just managed to source a whole case of 2014 Sociando for £340 all in including delivery reduced from £400, which works out at $36 a bottle
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I previously bought a case at $28 and have enjoyed five bottles so far with each succesively better than the last. I see it's up to $43 by the case with free shipping. It's tempting to pounce on it but will try and resist. If I had less than I do it would be a definate buy.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Nice score, Ian.

Not the normale, but I did pickup 3 magnums of the 2014 Sociando-Mallet Cuvée Jean Gautreau for $90 each in March (ex-chateau). OrlandoBobby was singing the 2014 normale's praises high and low (when it still was available in stock for only $28), so I figured the Cuvée Jean Gautreau should be killer in '14 as well.

We need to drink more Sociando together, BWE!
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:25 pm Nice score, Ian.

Not the normale, but I did pickup 3 magnums of the 2014 Sociando-Mallet Cuvée Jean Gautreau for $90 each in March (ex-chateau). OrlandoBobby was singing the 2014 normale's praises high and low (when it still was available in stock for only $28), so I figured the Cuvée Jean Gautreau should be killer in '14 as well.

We need to drink more Sociando together, BWE!
BTW I saw in my local store the 2019 Jean Gautreau for $55. If anyone is interested PM me
Not affiliated blah blah blah
Best

Jacques
tim

Post by tim »

Ugh. Talk about peer pressure, just bought a case. Which is the first case of wine I've purchased in... geez, a year at least? Maybe a couple years.

BWE, the site for wine purchase enabling.

And fwiw, $32.50 a bottle in France.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Can I get an amen for Mr Timmy M!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I am proud of you all my BWEers.
Even at $43 it’s an excellent QPR.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1986 or 1982?
I am a fan of numerous vintages of Sociando Mallet, Mark, what distinguishes this 2014 for me is its "light on its feet" quality.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Booooom...I recall Orlando Robert loving this vintage of SM!

And thank God it was not the Barde Haut ...I was nervous early on 😜🤪
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:19 pm 2016 👍👍👍
I agree Nic. I think I prefer the 2016 for the long term and the 2014 for right now. Geez, I drank through a whole case of the ‘14 already. But it’s early days. The 2016 is riper and less “light on its feet” than the more typically Sociando 2014. I think that gives the ‘16 more long-term potential and is why I’ve been holding them and drinking the ‘14. It will be fun to compare these with some age on them.
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
I drank through a whole case of the ‘14 already.
>>

Gosh, I rarely drink Sociando that is less than 10 years old, and it is usually better at 20. Is the 2014 that much different from the usual Sociando?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Inspired by this thread, I’m drinking a 2009 Sociando Cuvee Jean Gautreau tonight. Super young for SM and super young for my palate, but I wanted to How something for a change.

I’ll report back.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

:D
Blanquito wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:30 am Inspired by this thread, I’m drinking a 2009 Sociando Cuvee Jean Gautreau tonight. Super young for SM and super young for my palate, but I wanted to How something for a change.

I’ll report back.
Orl Bobby always breaks these out....too much cab for me though, I prefer the regular bottling.

I'm still out on the '16...seems like this one went to the dark side....too glossy for me....maybe in time it sheds that.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m a fan of the 2016 as well but it is a very big wine. The 2014 is light on its feet and very balanced, and it has a reserve that to me fits well with that neighborhood in the Medoc.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

stefan wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:09 am >>
I drank through a whole case of the ‘14 already.
>>

Gosh, I rarely drink Sociando that is less than 10 years old, and it is usually better at 20. Is the 2014 that much different from the usual Sociando?
Very approachable but of course no aged complexity. These were just so easy to drink when I didn’t want to open something expensive (Peggy wasn’t drinking for a while) and I was in a Bordeaux mood. Which is most of the time!