I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacation..

JimHow

I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacation..

Post by JimHow »

I am going to buy a case next week, I'm holding off announcing it out of concern that the price will skyrocket. Can you guess what it is? Answer will be disclosed on Monday.
JimHow

Re: I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacati

Post by JimHow »

20 questions eliciting yes/no answers, one question pending at a time, no questions about price.
JimHow

Re: I have a wine that I am going to declare the best vintage of, I'm holding off buying it until I get back from vacati

Post by JimHow »

1. No.
2. No.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

3. No.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

4. No.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

A Red wine from France?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

5. Yes.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Is there one of the following grapes in it?

Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Malbec and Carménère
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

6. Yes.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Is it from the Margaux appellation?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

7. No.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Is it from Pessac / Graves region?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

8. No.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Is it a Medoc wine?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

9. Yes.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Is it a wine from the Saint Julien appellation?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What is your definition of the Medoc?
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

This doesn't count as a question. But just to clarify, you mean that this is the best vintage of this specific bottling that you've tasted before, right?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I was going to clarify that Joel. I have enjoyed several bottles of this particular vintage of this wine. The other night I tried one more bottle to confirm whether I wanted to buy another case and it was the best bottle yet.
jckba

Post by jckba »

JimHow wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:39 pm What is your definition of the Medoc?
Above the city of Bordeaux. It was generic as to cast the wide net to narrow down the region before going area by area in an attempt to isolate it.

But Haut-Medoc is my next guess.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

So red, French, Medoc.

Yet to be clarified whether “Medoc” refers to the entire region encompassing N. and S. Medoc and whether it includes the more specifically named communes or if it means only those properties outside of them. We’ve ruled out Pauillac, St Estephe, and Margaux and are waiting on an answer about St Julien vs. the “lesser” Medoc properties are still in the running.

I’ll take a stab at the vintage: 2016?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha so the answer to #9 remains Yes.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

#10: Is it the 2016 vintage?

No.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Not questions for Jim, but background discussion for the rest of us…

If we assume for a second it is not St Julien, then it must be Haut Medoc, which probably means La Lagune, Sociando or Cantemerle.

If we assume it is St Julien, what could be Jim’s best ever from there? And presumably we’re thinking of recent vintages.
tim

Post by tim »

I don't believe he answered the St Julien question...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Greetings from above the Atlantic.
Oops you are right Timmy:

#10: Is it St Julien?

No.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Blanquito wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:39 pm Not questions for Jim, but background discussion for the rest of us…

If we assume for a second it is not St Julien, then it must be Haut Medoc, which probably means La Lagune, Sociando or Cantemerle.

If we assume it is St Julien, what could be Jim’s best ever from there? And presumably we’re thinking of recent vintages.
Blanquito, I remember Jim was impressed with 2018 Cantemerle sometime back. But not sure if he had any La lagune recently...
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Just noodling, not asking…

Patrick, I concur those are the likely top contenders. I’d lean towards Sociando and a recent vintage, 2018, 19, or 20. Second guess would be Cantemerle ‘cuz the other one is The Wine That Shall Not Be Named (TWTSNBN). Whaddaya think?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Given what we know so far, I agree Sociando makes the most sense... except I don't recall the BD waxing lyrically about this a recent vintage of Sociando, which should be a tell. Plus, is wine like Sociando likely to go up much in price even if we on BWE go a little nuts buying it up? It always seems like there's a lot of it on the market.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Is it from the Haut Medoc?
jckba

Post by jckba »

David, can’t be a 2020 as there is no way Jim has had anything from that vintage multiple times already and with enough time for it to change.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

#11.
Yes
jckba

Post by jckba »

Is it a bottle of Sociando Mallet?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Is it the 2019 Sociando Mallet?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

#13.
No.