2009 Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreaux

Blanquito

2009 Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreaux

Post by Blanquito »

I had the 09 Jean Gautreaux last night, really impressive stuff. Maybe more of a claret for a Cali cab lover (but one who likes some restraint and balance) with a more refined, pure, less rustic profile than Sociando usually has, but nothing OTT or overripe. In fact for an 09, it seemed quite restrained with no heat or prune. Beautiful, dark Cabernet Sauvignon fruit here, not fully ready for prime time drinking, but really not that far off either. 93+ pts.

I really liked this and picked up 4 more as KL has these on sale for $59 (this cuvee is often >$100).
Comte Flaneur

Re: 2009 Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreaux

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Patrick what was your pre- and post-opening regime for this bottle?

Did you pop and pour or have it standing up a long time for a long decant?

The reason I ask is that apparently the 2001 SM-JG benefits a lot from plenty of air time and I made the mistake of popping and pouring my first couple. The next ones will get the kid gloves royal treatment.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I gave it 3 hours in an open decanter and it could probably have used more. The bouquet was the least open part right now but there’s plenty of (ripe, well-judged, not hard/not soft) structure too.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I hear great things about the 01.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

In 2012, i bought the 1997 at the Château, but never taste it as invited for dinner at a France friend place, i give the wine ad a gift, and he did not open it that night...😢