2005 Duhart Milon

dstgolf

2005 Duhart Milon

Post by dstgolf »

For our anniversary last night with chateaubriand we enjoyed another very baby Lafite-like bottle of this Pauillac hitting well above its price point. 7th bottle from case and best yet. After an hour decant this was singing. Beautiful violet floral nose with spicy dark red fruits. Tannins resolved nicely and smooth from start to finish with no fading in the glass through the 3hr dinner. Violets, cassis, classic lead pencil and slight tobacco notes on this lighter Pauillac version. Delicious up front that catches your attention that this is special. Long finish and displays all of the elegance of Lafite for a fraction of the price. I don't see where people on CT claim disappointment with this one. They must have poorly stored bottles as this is nothing shy of superb. Drinking well now and doubtful to improve but no rush finish these up any time soon. 95+pts
Danny
stefan

Re: 2005 Duhart Milon

Post by stefan »

Glad to hear this, Danny. Historically I preferred Lafite to Mouton but liked D'Armailhac and Clerc-Milon more than Duhart. Your post tempts me to buy some younger Duhart. Love to have another excuse to buy more wine.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This is great to hear. The 2005 Duhart was $44 in 750ml and $22.50 in 375ml on release, and I bought a case of 750s and eight 375s.

During the Lafitte craze circa 2008/2009, I sold the entire case of the 750s (for $150 each), but I kept all of my half bottles.

I wasn't really planning to tuck into my ample stash of 05s (my cellar holds 37 different 2005s) until 2025 -- I am planning big horizontal with the local crew at least -- but I may have to revisit the timeline.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I still have my sealed case. The reports of Danny and Nicola make it tempting.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Congrats Danny this is a fabulous 2005 and one of the best for current drinking, similar to Gruaud, a 2005 with real finesse.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Just like Blanquito, I sold mine off in the Lafite craze and while I more than doubled my purchase price, I now find myself regretting that decision after reading your note.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I echoe what Danny is saying: simply a great Duhart was made in 2005, one of the greatest modern vintage.

That wine is very "Lafite like" by it classicism, finesse, Pauillac character, in a strong claret style. Love it, bit don't have any left. But i have some 2010, that i read great things about too...