2019 Ch. Le Grand Verdus, Cabernet Franc

AlexR

2019 Ch. Le Grand Verdus, Cabernet Franc

Post by AlexR »

Château le Grand Verdus is a well-reputed centuries-old estate located in Sadirac, equidistant from Bordeaux and Libourne. This large vineyard (120 hectares) produces wines sold under the Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur appellations. The château makes a range of wines including an unsulfured red, an orange-type Sémillon, and a small quantity (for Bordeaux, i.e. 6,000 bottles) of a varietal Cabernet Franc.

The latter caught my eye because it is fairly rare to see a Bordeaux made from this grape variety alone.
The salesperson in a shop where I bought the wine explained that it was easy-going and to drink young (he said, c’est très glou-glou). Seeing as we are in the middle of a heat wave (40° C yesterday), I thought that suited me just fine. In view of the grape variety, I was expecting a wine similar to a quaffable light red Loire made from the same grape.
But this was not the case. The wine had a very dark color, which was the first difference compared to a Chinon or Saumur Champigny. The nose showed some attractive cherry and even kirsch notes, but was not very pronounced. However, the comparison with the Loire really fell apart on the palate because this was unmistakably Bordeaux, full-bodied with tons more tannin and considerable grip – definitely a wine to enjoy with food rather than casual sipping. There was also a ferrous quality. Served cool, the 14° alcohol was nevertheless obvious.
The brother of a red Loire this was not. More like a first cousin once removed.

Would I have guessed this was a Cabernet Franc if served blind? Probably not because I did not find the grassy quality and light body I associate with that variety. Still, it was a fun experience at a reasonable price.
jal

Re: 2019 Ch. Le Grand Verdus, Cabernet Franc

Post by jal »

Interesting, I love Loire reds and find they are enjoyable young as well as with a few years.
But it seems that the sales guy was wrong, it is not a quaffer but a serious wine with (as you say) a lot of tannins and serious grip, can it age? Should it age?
Best

Jacques
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

".... a quaffable light red Loire made from the same grape." Strongly said, but it's not true.

You obviously haven't ever tasted Cabernet Franc wines from Saumur Champigny.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Dear Izak,

You are mistaken there. I lived in Saumur for rwo years and sold such wines, which I have enjoyed on countless occasions.

All the best,
Alex
AKR

Post by AKR »

I wish these unsulfured reds could travel better. One of our family members can basically only tolerate that kind of red wine.

Interesting notes thanks for sharing
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Alex,

Chateau de Villeneuve from Saumur Champigny was the favorite producer of the late Didier Dauguneau and is making a powerful Cab Franc. Their 1995 tasted some years ago was an impressive effort with gobs of life and certainly not a weakling.

Light body for this variety, you say.🙄
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Izak,

I do not doubt your experience with that wine, but I was speaking about the category as a whole.

It is only normal that red Loire wines should be lighter in body since they are located 300 km north of Bordeaux. It's colder.

I agree that light-bodied does not equate with weak.

Yours truly,
Alex
(who seems to be disagreeing with you a lot lately, but always respectfully)