TN: 2006 Trotanoy

JimS

TN: 2006 Trotanoy

Post by JimS »

It's been a while since I've opened a wine that has captivated me to this degree - I don't know if it was this particular bottle, me having zero expectations prior to opening it, the environment, etc. but this wine really moved me. Perfect cork, fill, color, etc. the nose was just absolutely captivating and beguiling. The best description I can think of is blueberry / raspberry compote on cheesecake - fat, rich, creamy, pungent, but just absolutely delectable, like walking into a pasty shop. But then the shapeshifting slowly began....hints of cloves, spice, earth, mocha began to show themselves. On the palate, everything completely in balance. By the intensity and richness of the nose, you'd think this would be a full throttle wine on the palate, but nary a hint of weightiness. Some truffle, blackberry, spice box, dark cherry, and an incredibly long finish with very mild tannins. If you have any of these, I suggest opening them. Easy top 5 wine of the year for me at this point.....
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 2006 Trotanoy

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Congratulations Jim. Mark of a very great estate? The ability to produce sublime wines in so called nontrophy vintages? Who would really care for Pomerol in 2006? Well I do, I have a case of La Conseillante, but you know what I mean.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Mr. Flaneur. I can easily imagine Jim's experience with a 2006 right banker.
I think it may be close to time to crack open my cases of 2004 and 2006 Pontet Canet.
I'm bracing for disappointment, but then again I had it in my head for some reason that I wasn't going to enjoy it but, alas, just the opposite....
Life is good!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice report JimS.

Trotanoy is a great Pomerol, and a very special unique one. I guess you description of the 2006 is telling the truth about that wine. Another ok vintage was 2004, and Trotanoy was just pure elegance Pomerol, way above what you would expect.

I had a trenscending wine too last night, as JeanFred was in a crazy mood, and will report soon, after he will report on it.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Very interesting. Maybe this wine is coming around more quickly than expected. I opened my first of 6 in Dec 21. I found it to have a lot of baby fat and a lot of new world qualities. The changes you mentioned did come around after about 2 hours in a decanter though. I noted to myself not to touch one for at least a blanquito, maybe two.

For what it's worth though, a lot of the DC crew that come to BWE events were there and thoroughly enjoyed it more than me. Tough competition that night. With a 1990 LLC firing on all cylinders, 1982 Calon Segur, 1990 Figeac, 1995 GPL and 1990 Gruaud Larose. To me the 2004 L'Evangile was much more ready and approachable for my tastes.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

Yes Joel, I enjoyed the Trotanoy that night. Interesting to see how it has evolved since then. But there were quite a few special wines for that dinner. The 90 LLC was memorable.
Brian Pinci
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

barsacpinci,

It's a big surprise for me that 2006 Trotanoy was so splendid. 2006 is generally not so good vintage on Right Bank, due to Merlot not being perfectly ripe. I did taste some 2006 St. Emilions and they were hot and fragile. Apparently, they did some magic at Trotanoy.

In March 2020 I arranged a vertical tasting of Trotanoy in Copenhagen - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8901&p=80788&hilit=trotanoy#p80788

It was a fantastic experience.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

How is a wine where the grapes are not ripe come across as hot?
I agree with you that the Medoc is far superior to the Right Bank. I don’t get heat from the Right Bank, just a blob of slightly herbaceous flavors.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Trotanoy in general is one of my favorite wines, but like other Pomerols, it has become a luxury item. I have not tasted it since primeur, but my notes indicated a stand out, although inevitably, I preferred the VCC. The sleeper was Latour a Pomerol
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Trotanoy is cheaper than VCC and L'Eglise Clinet and at least tenth of the price for Lafleur, Le Pin, and Petrus.

It was in Bx during the harvest in 2006. Here is my assessment of the weather in September/October taken from my website:

September started with scorching, sunny, and humid weather, followed by ten quite rainy days, and then came the sunshine and hot weather again for the remaining days of September. October was unstable and mixed from the very beginning sun and rain.

Properties on Left and Right Bank, who got Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petit Verdot into cellars by the end of September, did make the best wines. Others who waited experienced an unstable October with both sun and rain, and this humid weather, with temperatures around 25°C, resulted in an outbreak of white rot on Cabernet Sauvignon, especially in Haut Medoc, Medoc, and Graves, but not in every vineyard. Cabernet Sauvignon became not perfectly ripe in all places because this grape variety needed a dry period of at least one week at the beginning of October, and it didn't happen.

It was btw a fantastic year for "cepés", the famous champignon in Bordeaux.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Anyone tried the 2005 or 2014 Trot? I have a few of each. Wondering if the ‘05 is getting close to ready.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

The 2005 is a decade away. Even more backward than VCC which I paired it against.
Can’t help with 2014 I am afraid.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

greatbxfreak wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:34 am barsacpinci,

It's a big surprise for me that 2006 Trotanoy was so splendid. 2006 is generally not so good vintage on Right Bank, due to Merlot not being perfectly ripe. I did taste some 2006 St. Emilions and they were hot and fragile. Apparently, they did some magic at Trotanoy.

In March 2020 I arranged a vertical tasting of Trotanoy in Copenhagen - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8901&p=80788&hilit=trotanoy#p80788

It was a fantastic experience.
I wouldn’t say splendid. I enjoyed it with the meal. Joel knows I have a bit of a new world palate so the baby fat was appealing to me. But it didn’t come close to the 1990 LLC that night, that was a beautiful complete wine. I’m sitting on a 2010 and a 2014 Trotanoy waiting for the right moment. Trotanoy is less costly than VCC and L’Eglise Clinet, both favorites of mine. But for value in Pomerol, I buy more Le Gay, Conseillante, and Clinet.
Brian Pinci
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Musigny 151 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:23 pm The 2005 is a decade away. Even more backward than VCC which I paired it against.
Can’t help with 2014 I am afraid.
Thanks Mark. Will leave them alone.