My First DRC and Other Fun Labor Day Wines

JoelD

My First DRC and Other Fun Labor Day Wines

Post by JoelD »

Labor Day Weekend turned into quite a fun and eclectic Friday and Saturday wine nights. My friend Jim Harrigan (he was at BWE 2022 in DC) invited me to join with some of his collector friends up visiting from North Carolina (and a couple that lives outside DC). It was great to meet and taste with new people and the awesome bottles shared.

Friday night-

Some fun apps and cheese. With a very good pulled chicken cacciatore that went quite well with the wines.

Krug 164eme- Out of two half bottles. This is a very good, rich but balanced wine right now. Especially out of half bottle, however still a bit young for my tastes. The best experience of this bottling that I've had yet but is almost certainly a wine that will gain a lot by giving it bottle air, or one to two blanquitos. 94pts

2012 Roland Champagne Special Club- Very enjoyable early but fell off a bit in glass and bottle. 91pts

2010 LDH Rose- A very interesting and often polarizing wine. Very fun to try and had some similar qualities to the old barolo's opened. I prefer the blanco but this was still quite solid. 92pts

1958 Pio Cesare Barolo- Mostly clean wine and good stuff under here except for the massive amounts of VA that just never truly blew off. 88pts or flawed, depending how you look at it.

1961 Luigi Oddero Barolo- Cloudly and not as clean as the Pio, but ended up being the much better wine. Touch of madeira but still very enjoyable with late tastes. 92pts

2005 Perrot Minnot Clos De Beze- What a treat. Big, meaty and masculine. But balanced, floral and pretty at the same time. Needed the 1-2 hour decant that we gave it. My first time with this producer and I see why it costs what it does. 97pts. WOTN

1996 Bruno Giacosa Falletto- So much fun trying this for a 4th time in as many years. Still aging glacially. This was the most accessible of the bottles that I've had, probably due to the owner storing at around 62deg instead of 55. Such wonderful purity of fruit and minerality. 95+pts

2006 Paul Bara Comtesse- Opened later for another bottle of champ. Very clean, balanced and lovely wine. Didn't speak to me as much as a previous bottle I've had though, or the 2008. Most enjoyed it though. 93pts

1994 Trimbach Gewurztraminer SGN- Absolutely wonderful on all levels. Perfect golden color. Just a touch of that Gewurz spice. Not as viscous as most SGN. Similar in body to some Loire chenins. 95+pts
IMG_9558.jpg
Saturday Night-

With Greek apps, cheeses and a roast leg of lamb with root vegetables in the jus.

Egly Ouriet VP (2020 Disg)- First time trying this and I certainly enjoy it more than some of their other bottlings that can be very oxidative. It got very good with some bottle air. 94pts

1998 Billecart Salmon Clos St Hillaire- Such a treat to try this. And different than I expected. Great acidity, perfect golden color. This is a wine for the long haul and like the Krug, could use hours of bottle air. Others were wowed by this a bit more than me but very enjoyable. 94pts

2014 Pierre Baillette Rilly Montagne- This wine came out firing. Everything I look for in a Champagne. Light on it's feet but lots of depth and balance. Very low dosage but still a touch of fruit sweetness. Balanced but noticeable acidity. Only gripe was that it fell off a bit later in the evening. One of the very pleasant surprises of the weekend 95pts

2014 Marc Morey Chassagne Caillerets- My best of 3 bottles of this. Perfect straw color. Needed just 10 min of air in glass to really open up and give. Probably at it's peak. Super clean but very interesting. Definitely got lost in the shuffle. Should have served all with the apps instead of saving for dinner. 94pts

2005 Michel Gros Vosne Clos De Reas- This came out firing. Absolutely stunningly pretty nose with a great mix of dark and red fruit. Vosne spices. Drinking very well right now with possible upside. Only gripe was that it closed down a bit as the night went on, probably because it's an 05. 95pts

1959 DRC Grands Echezeaux- Not the best ullage but color was really good. We all had tempered expectations. But wow, once this was poured it was clear that it needed air in the glass. Almost zero risk of falling apart in the short term. No madeira notes. Color was a bit cloudy and is in pics below. The depth, length, finish, spices, acidity were all so balanced and lovely how they came together with the brown sugar protruding as time went on. A bit of fruit left as well, "cooked" fruit in a good way (like in a pie or a warm spiced wine). Some noted a salt/brine flavor or smell but I didn't get much of this. It lasted well for a 1-2 hours although did fall off slightly at the end. The nose was better out of tighter glasses but the broader ones were better for the palate. Just such a treat. Thanks to Jim for sharing this and hosting. 98pts. WOTN and WOTY candidate.

2004 Pavie- I also had tempered expectations on this but the nose gave beautiful 2004 classic vibes. Sadly the palate did not for me. Overly sweet and just not my thing. Most of the others really enjoyed this. 90pts

1998 Henri Bonneau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve des Célestins- My first from this producer and I see why it's so highly regarded. Probably the best nose of the whole weekend. Similar to the Giacosa in the purity of fruit and minerality. My only gripe with this is that it showed it's alcohol a bit. 95+pts

2013 Cellers de Scala Dei Priorat St Antoni- One of the other surprises of the weekend for me. A Priorat like I've never had. So clean, pure and didn't show its alcohol. It doesn't have all the depth or length in the world but I very much enjoyed it. A fairly rare wine from what I'm told. 94+pts

1959 Huet Le Haut Lieu 1er Trie- So cool to try this next to the 1989 that I have loved. Very good color and in good shape. At times I was worried this had some TCA or other taint but when I got good tastes, it was wonderful. 93+pts

1989 Huet Le Haut Lieu 1er Trie- Late release bottle with the new label. DavidG introduced me to this the first time I met him in Dec 2019. At the time it was the best dessert wine that I had ever had and I sought out a few bottles. This was lovely, although a tad less clean and a bit mushroomy as these old chenins can be sometimes. Perfect color and some thought it too young. With lots of air as the late night went on, I kept going back to it. The mushroom blew off and it got so good and balanced. 95+pts.

1996 Domaine Jo Pithon Coteaux du Layon Saint-Lambert Clos des Bonnes Blanches- This got lost in the shuffle a tad for me. A bit advanced on the color but still a very enjoyable wine. The Huet's outshone it but this was balanced and yummy. 91pts

All in all such a fun weekend with great new friends who all share a love of wine. My only gripes for the weekend were that my favorite reds of each night were the most expensive ones. And that I didn't quite appreciate the higher end big house champs as much as everyone else did. Those two gripes also completely contradict. However these are some of things that I love about wine and the many different people and personalities that share the passion.

I haven't been good about write ups this year. The more I taste, the less I write. Hopefully I can change that.
IMG_9571.jpg
IMG_9572.jpg
IMG_1332.jpg
IMG_9582.jpg
Claudius2

Re: My First DRC and Other Fun Labor Day Wines

Post by Claudius2 »

Joel
Sounds like a great tasting - nice that the DRC had held up so well after so many years.

One comment about the 2004 Pavie.
Not surprised you didn't like it much.
Until it the mid 90's, i used to buy this wine regularly - it wasn't at the price point it is now.
I've tried the 2004 a few times, once on release and once a decade ago back in Australia on a visit.
The young wine was so woody, so extracted and over-blown I could hardly drink it.
The older wine, though on
ly about 8 years old, was still overdone to my palate and still overtly oaky. Drinkable but not particularly interesting.
the tasters were all a bit miffed and the guy who brought it to the tasting was a bit pissed off- he expected a lot more for a wine that had escalated in price. It actually tasted more like a Merlot from Australia (Mclaren Vale or Adelaide Hills).
So now Pavie is off my "to buy" list and in 2023, there are now a lot of good St Emilions to be had for fair prices.
However, I actually miss it. I hunted it at auction for some years when cheap, starting with the 1966.

cheers
Mark
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Fab line up Joel - what you described was classic mature DRC - what a treat - glad it was a great bottle.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Great writing Joel. It is very "refreshing" to see great comments/notes on all those wines, and not that much from Bordeaux.

Also these bottles were aged, this is probably helping a lot to the wonderful ambiance and most of the bottles delivering their best.

And the 1959 DRC... i want to drink Bourgogne now!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Nice lineup! Thanks for the TNs
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Quite the collection of great bottles Joel! Enjoyed your notes, felt like I was there.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Great notes and it sounds like it was a great evening. No wine is finer than a great old wine in great shape.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No wine is finer than a great old wine in great shape.
I thought of Mr Michael P and Nalan when I read that comment. I hear they are moving to the City of Angels
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great notes and write up, Joel. Some epic wines there, DRC is a “thing”, in my (very limited) experience it merits every bit of the hype.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow that Bonneau is a rarity too. I have hardly heard the property mentioned on any boards in the last decade.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great holiday weekend, Joel.

>>
DRC is a “thing”, in my (very limited) experience it merits every bit of the hype.
>>

As opposed to, for example, Leroy.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

stefan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:49 pm Great holiday weekend, Joel.

>>
DRC is a “thing”, in my (very limited) experience it merits every bit of the hype.
>>

As opposed to, for example, Leroy.
I have encountered more aliens than Leroy wines in the last 30 years, but BWEers poured some Leroy Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru to me 2 times (1999 Fontenys and 1999 Combottes) and I thought they also merits the hype. But these are "only" their 1er Cru at around 3000-6000 $ per bottle. I never had the Chambertin or Musigny, more around 20000-60000 $...