A historic royal BWE visit to the Great State of Maine

JimHow

A historic royal BWE visit to the Great State of Maine

Post by JimHow »

LEWISTON SUN-JOURNAL

HOW: STATE OF MAINE PREPARING FOR HISTORIC ROYAL BWE VISIT

Lewiston, Maine (AP): FLASH

Internationally renowned lawyer and philanthropist Jimmy L.B. How alerted local media that commercial jets were in the air en route to Boston's Logan Airport, in a "BWE-related visit to the Great State of Maine."

Unofficial sources quietly hinted that the visitors were arriving from the states of Texas and Florida, but nothing further could be confirmed as of press time.

This story will be updated.
Nicklasss

Re: A historic royal BWE visit to the Great State of Maine

Post by Nicklasss »

OMG. Nice time to boycott Meta and read BWE news instead.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I hope that the big storm headed to New England doesn't interfere with history
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Even hurricanes cannot stop BWE.
The guests arrived safely in Boston last night and are now advancing to Lewiston at this very moment.
Other than tomorrow, their week looks great weather wise!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like we'll avoid the worst of it (fingers crossed):

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article ... 7-31689757
stefan

Post by stefan »

Agents stefan, Lucie, J, & J housed and ready for engagement with General How.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A historic BWE night on the back deck in Maine....
Attachments
IMG_0329.jpg
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Looking good. Envious but nice to see the smiles. I hope that LEE goes easy on Lewiston today. Crazy how many hurricanes have got so far north lately with Fiona curtailing our plans last Fall and now LEE. Fingers crossed. Keep the photos and updates coming. Will be tracking the news as it unfolds.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

It was a great night at Jim's pad. The weather was perfect for having lobster on the deck. Our first BWE visit to Maine has a great start.

Wines last night were Krug #168, 2008 La Grande Dame, 2017 Francois Carrillon Puligny 1er Les Perrieres, 2012 Jadot Corton Charlemagne, 2018 Niellon Les Vergers, 1988 Rieussec, 2014 Vieux Chateau Certan. Not a dud in the bunch. IMO best match with the delicious soft shell lobster was the Puligny. Hard to say which was the best or even favorite of the Burgundies as all three were spot on true. Jim pulled out the VCC late and served us blind. Both Jacques and I thought it was left bank from the smell, and Jim laughed. It tasted right bank but was less developed in the mouth than in the nose. Clearly excellent but a wine to Blanquito twice for my taste even if it might shine now with several hours of air and prime rib.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A great night indeed, I was afraid it was going to be too cool on the back deck but it was upper 60s with no wind, it was a delightful late summer evening of soft shell Maine lobster, Champagne, white Burgundy, Sauternes, and longtime friends I have known for over two decades now. The wine matches with the sweet soft shell lobster were heavenly! We pulled out the whoopee pies with the 2014 VCC to end the evening!

Tonight it is red meat with red Bordeaux. The weather here in western Maine is holding, knock on wood, basically no rain and moderate winds, they are even calling for possible sunshine by late afternoon. As long as we don't lose power we should be in good shape.
Attachments
IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0326.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Stefan and Lucie in the Great State of Maine....
Attachments
IMG_1749-2.jpg
jckba

Post by jckba »

Looks like a lovely Maine get together.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

stefan wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:42 pm It was a great night at Jim's pad. The weather was perfect for having lobster on the deck. Our first BWE visit to Maine has a great start.

Wines last night were Krug #168, 2008 La Grande Dame, 2017 Francois Carrillon Puligny 1er Les Perrieres, 2012 Jadot Corton Charlemagne, 2018 Niellon Les Vergers, 1988 Rieussec, 2014 Vieux Chateau Certan. Not a dud in the bunch. IMO best match with the delicious soft shell lobster was the Puligny. Hard to say which was the best or even favorite of the Burgundies as all three were spot on true. Jim pulled out the VCC late and served us blind. Both Jacques and I thought it was left bank from the smell, and Jim laughed. It tasted right bank but was less developed in the mouth than in the nose. Clearly excellent but a wine to Blanquito twice for my taste even if it might shine now with several hours of air and prime rib.
Lovely night. Some of my favorites in there. How did the Jadot show? The 2010 is amazing.

Thats the Jacques Carillon Puligny, right? Ian was kind enough to share two bottles of the 2016 with us in London and they were awesome. So glad I was able to source one recently, they're hard to find.

Jim always nails it with those Krug buys in NH. Can't wait to try one of mine soon. Thanks again!

Everyone is looking great.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Tonight is northern Medoc night in Lewiston, Maine….
Attachments
IMG_0341.jpeg
jckba

Post by jckba »

Nice, Mouton versus Gruaud, Pauillac versus Saint Julien … if the 86 GL is a good btl then that’s got my vote for WOTN.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A couple of sentimental favorites in the group, Stefan brought a couple of 1986 GLs to the first convention in Chicago in 2001, and we had a 1997 Mouton the first time we met Jacques and Arv in Manhattan later that year.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice! Everyone look great!

An easy equation for stefan:
Great friends + white Bourgogne + lobster = ecstasy!

I've been knowing many BWEers since a long time, and suffer a bit to not seing you often enough.

Mouton vs Gruaud, that will be very interesting... will a certain Pauillac 5th Growth will show off later?
jal

Post by jal »

It was indeed the Jacques Carillon, Joel.
A spectacular evening of wine and lobsters. I'll be posting more details once I recover
Best

Jacques
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Lovely lineup. I'm betting the 97 Mouton might subtly show out. I love those 97 Bordeaux, especially Pauillac. Such a cool and beautiful vintage. The Pichon Baron was awesome recently. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the updates. Enjoy!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When I first met Bill “stefan” Johnson in person in 2001 at Chicago 2001, he brought two bottles of 1986 Gruaud Larose, which has been a BWE legend ever since. 22 years later, we are drinking a 1986 GL with steaks at my house in Maine. Life is good.
Attachments
IMG_1611.jpeg
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Retirement is looking mighty fine, Professor Stefan!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Look at the fill of the 78 Gruaud! You all most be Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What a treat, we started with the 2008 Dom, tight as ever but opened up as it warmed up to reveal its profoundness. With grilled steaks we had the Gruauds and Moutons, all showing really well but I think we were all really impressed by that 1978 Gruaud, 12%, they just do not make them like that any more. The 1986 Gruaud was still young! And I don’t care what anyone says, I am always thrilled to drink a Mouton, we had two, the 1997 and 1998 very different in styles but true to their vintages. The 2014 Coutet was stunning in its purity and balance, I absolutely loved it. I must say this BWE crew are troopers, there are only like two whoopie pies left from the dozen I bought, we even had some with brunch yesterday afternoon, with Pinot noirs from CA, OR, snd FR. Loved the young La Cote that Jacques brought, up front fruit but not candied or tannic, very easy drinking now but lots of depth. We really got very little impact from the hurricane, almost no rain and the winds were very moderate, no tree damage or loss of power. Off to the coast today for more… lobstah!!!!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great day yesterday. For brunch Jacques made scrambled eggs with mushrooms to go along with smoked salmon and cream cheese. We drank some Krug #171 while the prep was going on before having our first bad experience: a terribly corked bottle of 2002 Chezeaux Chambertin. The next PN, 2012 St Innocent Shea Special Selection, was also corked but only slightly, so we drank most of the bottle. I hope it is replaceable (Mark Vlossak will replace flawed bottles but may not have any more of the Shea SS). Fortunately, the 2018 La Cote was good and well balanced with none of the candied fruit I dislike in California PN. All the dinner wines showed well. The 1997 Mouton was thin but true and could stand up to strip steak. The 1998, while no match for 1998 Lafite, has the strength you expect in a Mouton. The 1978 Gruaud Larose was a treat. It has been a while since I drank any 1978, which is one of my favorite vintages. The 1986 is great for drinking now. The strong but resolved tannins will probably keep the wine youngish for another 10-20 years. The young Coutet was a perfect match for Lucie's apple tart.

The weather is great this morning, so we'll head for the coast but return to Jim's for dinner, which will feature Margaux.
jal

Post by jal »

1st night
168 Krug with cheeses, Jim brought great cheeses sourced from fromages.com; some Brillat-Savarin, Brie de Meaux, and Comté all delicious and great quality that is hard to find in the US, even at reputable cheese stores like Murray's. The Krug was excellent as always. Fresh and vibrant with great depth.
2008 La Grande Dame, heftier, more depth and more expansion than the Krug it is a favorite of Jill but give me Krug any day
2017 Jacques Carillon Perrières and 2018 Niellon Vergers with lobsters, both started with a flinty nose hinting at some reduction, I am usually not a fan but this blew off quickly. They were both excellent. Great expressions of Puligny and Chassagne. Wonderful with the best and sweetest lobsters I've had in years. A match made in heaven. My two favorite producers in White Burgundy. The Niellon is a little more focused and angular, the Carillon more seductive.
2012 Jadot Corton Charlemagne fully mature and what it lacks in freshness, it more than makes up in depth and power.
We adjourned to the dining room as it was getting a bit nippy and Jim opened a blind Bordeaux. Both Bill and I guessed left bank and I wouldn't give in even when Jim said it was not. Cantemerle I say and bill and Jim would yell together NOT LEFT BANK, again when I said Graves, La Lagune, Sociando, I just didn't want to believe it was a right banker and thought Jim was wrong when he said right bank lol.
Eventually we got to Pomerol and the 2014 VCC which smelled like a left banker and still even after tasting it, I could not believe it was a Pomerol. Really a unique and excellent wine.
The 1988 Rieussec with blueberries and cream was delicious, dark colored and a perfect ending to the evening. I avoided the dreaded whooped pies
Sorry about the abbreviated notes I was having too much fun to do any serious wine analysis. This was one fantastic evening at Chateau How

Day 2 notes will come when I have gathered some energy.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A gorgeous sunny Sunday, off to the coast for some lobster rolls, then tonight it is 1995 Chateau Margaux vs. 1996 Chateau Margaux. And more Krug, why not? Friday we had the 168, yesterday we had the 171, tonight we'll have the 170.
Attachments
IMG_0352.jpg
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Sounds like a lot of fun and some very good wine. Lisa and I had a 1995 Pichon Baron that was finally ready to drink and I finished off the last bit of a 2001 Rieussec that was top notch while thinking about our BWE friends.

SF Ed
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmmm doggie, lobster rolls at Five Island Lobster Co on the coast of Maine…. with white Burgundy. Heaven on earth.
Attachments
IMG_0354.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg
IMG_8563.jpeg
IMG_0360.jpeg
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Looks like a wonderful time! I'm really glad the weather didn't curtail any festivities.

Lobstah and white Burgs are always a good choice.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds like a lovely BWE celebration. Question - what is soft shell lobster?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Soft shell lobster season runs from about July 1st until about October 15, Jon, the lobsters shed their hard shells and molt into soft shells that can be broken with your hands. Both hard and soft shell lobsters are great, the soft shell may be slightly sweeter. We had a great showing of Maine lobsters this weekend for our out of town BWE friends.

The two Margauxs were in spectacular form, and the 170 Krug may have been the best showing Krug of the weekend. The crew just left, they are going up to Bah Habah tomorrow.

https://www.thurstonforlobster.com/all- ... oft-shell/
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Bah Habah...hahaha! One of the most beautiful places we've ever visited!
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Kind of amazing how the BWE family lives on after over 20 years. I know from my occasional visits to "annual" dinners that it's like seeing old friends again. I don't get much opportunity to participate in the events of the past several days, but it's fun to live them vicariously.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The 1er Cru Carillon and Niellon white Burgundies were great with the excellent lobster rolls. I think the Burgs were Referts and Clos St Jean, maybe both from 2017. After the trip to the coast and the filling lunch, none of us wanted a big dinner. We stopped at a supermarket on the way back to Chez How to pick up simple food. Nevertheless, Jacques prepared an excellent meal of poached chicken thighs, green beans, pureed sweet potatoes, and oven french fries. The #170 Krug was indeed the the most approachable Krug of the weekend. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to find now. Both Margaux were in good form. The 95 was open from the first pour and stayed the same throughout the meal, while the 96 was closed at first. However, the 96 developed well in the glass and became a powerhouse in the mouth. No doubt it will improve further and live for a long time. The 95 is a beauty but not as impressive as the 96.

It was great to spend the weekend hanging out with Jim. Tomorrow Jacques & Jill & Lucie & I will go to Bar Harbor for a couple of days. Jacques says that there we may have to drink Kendall Jackson Chardonnay with lobstah as corkage is not an option in Maine. I'll opt for beer.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We enjoyed our visit to Maine several years ago especially the bake on the beach but I thought it was spelled lobstahhhh??
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Very nice!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

So which wines were voted:

1) Best fizz?
2) Best white burg?
3) Best claret?
jal

Post by jal »

Ian,
We didn't vote but if I am doing it now
Top champagne: Krug 170
Top white burg: 2017 Carillon Perrières (though it really isn't fair as the last two were drank from plastic cups)
Top Bordeaux: 1996 Margaux
Top Pinot noir: 2018 DDLC (by default as all others were flawed imo)

I will post more details when I have some time.
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

Lunch day 2
With a mushroom omelette (scrambled eggs for the mushroom averse) lox and cream cheese we opened a few bottles
170 Krug excellent, vibrant more giving than the 168 and really all around ajoy
2002 Chezeaux Chambertin badly corked
2012 St Innocent Shea Special Select I thought was corked, Bill and Jim still liked it.
2018 Domaine de la Cote DDLC had a nice perfume, lightweight with still good structure, red fruit, no extraction. All in all lovely. Too bad prices have almost tripled in two years

Dinner day 2
With grilled steak a la Jimhow, steamed green beans and fries and a green salad we started with a 2008 Dom Pérignon. I was saving myself and skipped this (the horror). Jan said that was her favorite sparkler of the weekend
We then moved to the Bordeaux
1986 Gruaud Larose beautiful vibrant robe, almost ready 🙄, may need another blanquito fruit was a bit subdued, still yummy and on its own would have been fantastic.
1978 Gruaud Larose dusty but oh the nose is to die for. Love those 1978 left bank aromas. Resolved and delicious on the palate. My wine of the weekend until the two Margaux made an appearance the next evening
1997 Mouton, good nose, good backbone, emotional wine as it was the first wine I drank with Jim, Arv and Ben our first encounter, a little overwhelmed by the others. Still wonderful
1998 Mouton would have easily been the wine of the night but couldn't compete with the nose of the 1978 GL, delicious and a great match with the steaks.
With some home made apple tarts that Jan whipped up (wow!) We opened a 2014 Coutet that ticked all the boxes for me, fresh, sweetness balanced with acidity, long delicious finish. Great ending.
That was some night!
Day 3 coming up later
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What a weekend!
I want some pics from Bah Habah!