A historic royal BWE visit to the Great State of Maine

JimHow

Re: A historic royal BWE visit to the Great State of Maine

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, as Jacques says, all four of those northern Medocs were fascinating in their own ways on Saturday night.
If I had to pick one I'd go with the '78 Gruaud because it was just so old school Bordeaux 12% Cordier compelling.
Tommy and Gail brought a '79 Gruaud to Chateau How a few years ago that was equally compelling.
If you have any of those 1978-1989 circa Gruauds in your cellar you are lucky indeed.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can't argue with Jan on the '08 Dom. It was tight as a bastard at first but it opened up to demonstrate the glory that is on the horizon.
All three Krugs were just heavenly. And the '08 Veuve Cliquot Grand Dame. we drank some great Champagne this weekend in the Great State of Maine.
AKR

Post by AKR »

What a lot of wine! Looks like a great time
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Had a transcendent 71 Gruaud not all that long ago, magic stuff in a funny shaped bottle.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Your name came up this weekend, blanquito. As did that of some homeless guy, I can't remember his name, I think he had a pony tail, and JC, and dinners in NY where even the BD* was not invited (can you believe it, who would be part of such a clique), past and present.... certainly not, gasp, Comte! Et tu? Long live BWE. A venue for TRUE BWEers, with the true BWE spirit.

Am I dreaming, or was there a dinner of 1989 Bordeaux in NYC in which the likes of even (gasp) Stefan, Jacques, Tommy, Ian, Patrick, and some homeless guy with a pony tail were invited, but not the BD? That surely can't be right, can it? And if it happened once through some mindless aberration, it can't have happened twice, after 23 years of BWE, can it?

At least Nicola was not there without me, then all would have been lost. But then again that would have been an impossibility, because he is my brother.

God, I hate cliques, it is anathema of what BWE is all about. I welcome everyone, with love, to my back deck, I will uncork something special for any BWEers from the best that I have to offer in my humble cellar, I am a mere country lawyer.

Is there something that the homeless man with the pony tail offers that I don't? I'm not worthy, I know, even after all these years. Did jckba bring a Burgundy to the recent Saturday night dinner in NY while the rest of us who weren’t invited were jerking off in Manhattan?

If the Winona was at least invited I can accept it on some level, even if I were not allowed into the club, I can get my vicarious thrills through the reports of a legendary BWEer who has paid his dues.

Has the homeless man with the pony tail brought you tax free Krug at $130?

Hoping to get more Krugs in the tax free Granite State, want more Blanquito?.... I'll cover the gas and tolls... Can I go to your next private dinner?

*The kind and benevolent BD, who takes losses on wines to deliver them to fellow BWEers.... To me the worse sin would have been to not invite Winona Chief to dinner in NYC. But surely that could not have happened....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The reservoir dogs of BWE.

Looks like they're heading back south in NH on the way back to Logan Airport....

The end of an epic trip.
Attachments
IMG_0369.jpg
jckba

Post by jckba »

JimHow wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:30 am Your name came up this weekend, blanquito. As did that of some homeless guy, I can't remember his name, I think he had a pony tail, and JC, and dinners in NY where even the BD* was not invited (can you believe it, who would be part of such a clique), past and present.... certainly not, gasp, Comte! Et tu? Long live BWE. A venue for TRUE BWEers, with the true BWE spirit.

Am I dreaming, or was there a dinner of 1989 Bordeaux in NYC in which the likes of even (gasp) Stefan, Jacques, Tommy, Ian, Patrick, and some homeless guy with a pony tail were invited, but not the BD? That surely can't be right, can it? And if it happened once through some mindless aberration, it can't have happened twice, after 23 years of BWE, can it?

At least Nicola was not there without me, then all would have been lost. But then again that would have been an impossibility, because he is my brother.

God, I hate cliques, it is anathema of what BWE is all about. I welcome everyone, with love, to my back deck, I will uncork something special for any BWEers from the best that I have to offer in my humble cellar, I am a mere country lawyer.

Is there something that the homeless man with the pony tail offers that I don't? I'm not worthy, I know, even after all these years. Did jckba bring a Burgundy to the recent Saturday night dinner in NY while the rest of us who weren’t invited were jerking off in Manhattan?

If the Winona was at least invited I can accept it on some level, even if I were not allowed into the club, I can get my vicarious thrills through the reports of a legendary BWEer who has paid his dues.

Has the homeless man with the pony tail brought you tax free Krug at $130?

Hoping to get more Krugs in the tax free Granite State, want more Blanquito?.... I'll cover the gas and tolls... Can I go to your next private dinner?

*The kind and benevolent BD, who takes losses on wines to deliver them to fellow BWEers.... To me the worse sin would have been to not invite Winona Chief to dinner in NYC. But surely that could not have happened....
I think the history between Dale and yourself predates me as does that ‘89 dinner so I am going to stay out of that but will respond to some of the above and hopefully clear the air in a civilized manner.

I was looped into the pair of dinners for when Ian was going to be in town late but I think the idea as I understood it, was to have a BWE night on Friday which by the way, was one of my favorite dinners in a long time and a then a WB night on Saturday (with Dale).

Ian, Patrick, Chris and myself attended both nights.

The WB night was originally planned to be at Txikito but the $30/per btl corkage seemed like it would amount to a small fortune in corkage so I helped move it over to Noreetuh. As the original dinner was tapas themed, we had adopted a Champagne, Spanish, Burgundy mixed theme. And I did not bring burgundy as all my burgundy is too young but I did bring a pair of LdH Tondonia Blanco’s and a Rosado.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

And boy oh boy, were those LdH Blancos and Rosado worthy of all the hype! Move over Bordeaux, that was some real wine. JC, I’ll trade you some Krug for some of those rosados!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think I met the dude once, I don’t even remember what he looks like. I think it’s one of those situations where a “history” is a one way street, I’m not sure what pisses people off sometimes nor do I care. I’m sure it must have been something really important. <rolls eyes>

The 170 Krug was the Krug of the weekend among three lovely Krugs. The 171 is out in NH at the same price, if there are any left if/when they go on sale I’ll pick up more. Jacques and Stefan bought like more than a dozen between them.

Au revoir to the Teyxxans and Floridians…. Until next time!
jal

Post by jal »

I really don't think you have a reason to be upset.
Ian and Patrick came to NYC asked if we are available and we did a BWE dinner. The next day they were invited to a non BWE event and went to that one as well. I don't think it was their place to invite anyone to the non BWE event, since they didn't organize it, what's more there may not have been any room.
And if you don't want to buy Krug for anyone, don't. It's really not a big deal, we all have too much wine.
Let it go, we're all friends and I consider some of you almost family.

On LDH, I had a white Gravonia in Sarasota a few weeks ago on JC's recommendation and loved it. In Bar Harbor with Bill and Jan we had a 2008 Tondonia Riserva that was delicious. LDH rocks but for me it's a once in a while wine. Burgundy and old Bordeaux I can drink every night.
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

JimHow wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:39 am
The 170 Krug was the Krug of the weekend among three lovely Krugs. The 171 is out in NH at the same price, if there are any left if/when they go on sale I’ll pick up more. Jacques and Stefan bought like more than a dozen between them.

Au revoir to the Teyxxans and Floridians…. Until next time!
Flying out in a few hours. It has been a spectacular week
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think your wife disagrees with you on that, Jacques, as do I. Hey you were invited to the secret event, you made the cut, was Winona? I think Chris and I were the only ones at the table who weren’t in on the secret joke. In any event, I really don’t care, I wouldn’t have attended anyway as I had other options, but the point is there was a secret dinner the next night, it must have been awkward when Winona and I brought up the discussion with Ian about getting together with him that next night. It's not quite the way you characterize it. The point is that I frown on clique like behavior on BWE. Our openness is our strength. Loyalty and friendship is our hallmark. I do indeed demand a lot of BWEers. BWE is not for everyone in the often snotty world of fine wine. BWE is about the people, not the wines. We don't dismiss other BWEers by telling them to "get over it." And of course we are not even bringing up the 1989 dinner fiasco. It is easy for you to pontificate about letting things go, you are part of the secret clique. Hey, if you guys want to hang out with this Dale guy be my guest, it's a free life. But don't expect my unconditional love. We are not Wine Berserkers. If Nicola were there on Friday night would he have kept the Saturday night dinner secret from me and Winona? I expect the Nicola standard from people, at least if they want to hang out with me.

Safe travels back to FLA!
stefan

Post by stefan »

It was a great week for Lucie and me. Traveling with Jacques & Jill. Visiting BD Jim for the first time and hanging out there. Seeing the view from Cadillac Mountain--a view unlike any others we have seen. Eating Maine lobstah. Drinking fine wines. But mostly it is about the friends we have met through BWE. Thanks Jacques, Jill, and Jim. We'll get together again soon in Texas and/or New York and/or Israel and/or Florida. Maybe Spain, but that is looking unlikely for us.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m so glad you guys got up to Bar Harbor, Bill, it is as beautiful a spot as there is on the planet.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A bit of context here is relevant I think Jim. Patrick on July 10 reached out to inform me he was going to be in NYC that weekend in early August, noting that you, Jacques, JC, Winona Chief and Ramon would be there and asked if there was any chance I could come over. My immediate instincts were to think it was too short notice then I thought why not if I could get a good deal to come over which I did.

I know that whenever Patrick visits NYC he always meets up with the group which includes Dale and Ramon, whom I am good friends with too - Ramon has stayed in my house - but also other people whom I regard as friends and/or acquaintances like Richard Lin and Jayson Cohen.

We all know that you and Dale fell out on here quite a few years ago. I remember you wrote a post which was highly critical of him and he decided never to post on here again. I don’t know what he did or said to upset you Jim but I do remember your post which was a pretty caustic ad hominem attack. Not for the first time. I have been on the receiving end of one or two but for me it is just water of a duck’s back and I just hit back even harder. I never discussed it with Dale but I do remember what happened. Then Ramon left BWE for whatever reason. Ramon was going to join us on the Friday but pulled out. Why I don’t know.

I assumed there would be two separate dinners - one for BWE and one for the other group. I was the guy who flew in from London, and I did not fly three thousand miles to get embroiled in a petty dispute. As far as I was concerned I would have been happy for you to come along on the Saturday and kiss and make up with Dale - the emotional side of my brain thought that would be wonderful. Why bear grudges ad Infinitum? Time is a great healer.

But the logical side of my brain suggested that maybe it was not a good idea. Your references to Dale in this thread confirmed to me it would have been a bad idea. But it was not - or should never have been - for me to decide or inform/remind? you of the arrangements, which I ended up having to do.

As grown ups we should not have to put up with this petty nonsense. What also dismayed me Jim when you asked me about Saturday I gave you a deliberately vague reply which you went onto spin that we agreed to meet. No such thing. Same with Winona. I felt I was in an invidious position not of my making. I got so annoyed that had to end up texting you Jim to tell you arrangement. It was awkward but to my relief you took it well at the time.

So I was saddened to see you post on this in this thread in a silly and provocative manner and accuse us of being a clique. Nothing of the sort. What deluded nonsense! Put yourself in my shoes. What was I supposed to do? This is so unnecessary and silly. Jacques is right to rebuke you. Get over it! We have to speak truth to power! Stop playing the victim. Stopping playing the spurious bullshit loyalty card. Stop portraying it in terms of spurious false choices. This is what you get in abusive relationships, which we have both been in. You sound like Donald Trump. Like the mafia boss.

It was great to see you in Manhattan seven weeks ago, and thank you for your very generous gift of the bottle of the 170 Krug. I look forward to seeing you in Bordeaux and sharing some great wine with you.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

“Secret” dinner? Seriously? How old are we? Do we owe you something Jim? Are we all supposed to clear everything with you in advance? You sure have delusions of grandeur to go along with your rank hypocrisy. Ironically given this latest outburst, if you weren’t such a jerk periodically (phase of the moon? Staying up late drinking alone? Or maybe you’re just really an asshole at heart?) and hadn’t alienated so many good people without any reason, there wouldn’t be any “secrets” to keep.

This is really pathetic and your snide, childish digs at Dale after all of these years are beneath even you. I have no idea if Dale was homeless at some point, but Donald Trump like, you belittle and ridicule him for a true misfortune (if it actually happened) or you defame him with false allegations.

Maybe I’ll just start making references to “some defense lawyer” who gets pedophiles (Lanessan anyone?) and murders off for a living.
jal

Post by jal »

I think it's important to keep some facts straight if we're going to the mattresses on this.

The previous issue was a 1982 event not a 1989. The distinction is important as there are more 1982 fakes than any other vintage I'm aware of. It took place in 2012. Over a decade ago. I really was under the impression we had buried that particular hatchet.

I was unaware of the Saturday dinner. JC mentioned it to me at Balvanera. I was flying early the next morning so wouldn't have made it in any case.

I like Dale and Ramon and have gone to wine dinners in NYC with them (last one was in 2019). I have no issues doing it again and have no intention of hiding it and may or may not mention it.

What are you really upset about? Do you really think Dale and Ramon as organizers should have invited you? Do you think Patrick and Ian should have ditched it to go out with you? Are you upset Winona wasn't invited? I think Chris B. is a big boy and in that latter case, I think he can fight his own battles, I doubt he's offended though. I don't understand your issue at all.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lol, I'm reading these diatribes, I'm still waiting to see what it was that I did so "ad hominem" against some dude named "Dale," that, honestly, I can't tell you what he even looks like, let alone what it is that I did so, the horror -- "ad hominem" -- what it was that that caused all this grief. What, did I criticize his pony tail?

All I know is Nicola would never lie to me. Or Winona. That's the bedrock upon which I balance myself. Do you know Nicola and Winona never attended a Stuart Thursday night dinner - not out of any animosity towards Stuart, they LOVE Stuart and Kathy-- but because they don't believe in events that limit attendance. Heck, even I, the kind dictator, have not met the Nicola/Winona Standard.

And seriously, do you guys want me to bring up the details of that secret clique 1989 Medoc dinner in NYC, probably the lowest moment in BWE history…. It is too painful for me to even think about it.

Hey, have fun guys, do whatever you want! Just don't invite me to any more of your secret events. Do that shit over on the Berserkers page.

Shame on you guys. You should never lie to anyone, especially a kind dictator.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Delusions spring eternal.

Chris Bublitz, your beloved Winona, was in on the “secret” and attended the Saturday tasting that the whole country (which of course doesn’t include Canada) was in on except you. You know, for a “lawyer”, you sure don’t read things carefully — it has already been mentioned in this thread that Chris was in attendance that night, but Trump-like, anything that doesn’t fit in your narrative is ignored.

The only secret, Jim, is that you weren’t invited. After yet another stunt like this, who would want you there, who could blame us?

You know, after this I doubt the 170 Krug will ever taste good. So send me your address, and I’ll ship you the 5 bottles I have left back, free of charge and you can keep the payment I sent (and with no whining about tolls and all that poor-little-me pathetic BWE-is-about-generosity bitching).

Jim, I really hope you get therapy, it’s never too late.
Last edited by Blanquito on Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Goodbye, BWE. Despite Jim and his demons, I have loved it here these last 20 years* and learned so much and made so many friends. But the petty, mean spiritedness at the top has at long last done it in for me.

So, I’ll join Dale, Ramon, Matt, Salil, Chris, OrlandoBobby and others who gave up and were driven by this place by the bizarre, unhinged divisiveness which all too often defines its “leader”.

You’re all welcome in Denver any time, come say hi on Berserkers once in a while.

*At my very first BWE offline in 2005, attended by many current and former regular BWE contributors, I was told repeatedly by nearly everyone in the room about BWE’s bipolar leader (that was the most common diagnosis, along with other mental and emotional conditions) and how it was only a matter of time before the worm would turns and I would be attacked too. Of course, these prophesies came true long ago, but it’s hard not to think back to that night now.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I respectfully prefer soap show on tv, than here.

I agree i'm "one of a kind", like everyone here, but i'm no Saint.

I feel very, very priviledged each time i hang out with BWEers, but i can't make all diners, as i don't need to be invited to all diners. But each time i can, all BWEers have been kind, friendly, good to me. Many are great friends to me, by being simple and true. I surely appreciate reading the beginning of this thread about BWEers in Maine, or in NYC, or Florida (yes i've been invited twice to Stuart's diner, but decided 2 times to not go, bad timing. But in revenge, i went to see them alone in 2012... ), or in California, or anywhere else, even when i'm not invited.

Since 2000, many adventures, events, stories, hanging out with the BD. Had lot of fun with Jim, in our best and darkest times, a bit like brothers. He even came to our little no fancy wedding... but i admit, he did way more miles, efforts, spending time to hang out with me than the opposite... i surely thank him for that.

We're all different but also have one thing in common: we can be simple, humble, fun, very friendly persons, that hang out together well when the opportunity is there (the stars are aligned). We're an amazing group, but not exclusive to each other.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jim we love and respect you but it doesn’t mean you should not take responsibility for what you say and that you should not be held to account.

You should read some of your diatribes and put your self in the shoes of those they are sometimes directed at. Patrick was on the receiving and of several ad hominem - yes I am afraid so - attacks here on BWE after midnight Eastern time which you deleted before sunrise. That’s why he left the first time.

Different people react differently to this kind of behaviour. Some will pick up and leave - Dale, Ramon, Patrick and Orlando Bobby - which is ever so sad - some will just ignore it and some will fight back.

And for the record nobody lied to you - and Winona Chief WAS invited to Ramon and Dale’s dinner on Saturday - are you calling Chris Bublitz a liar? Are you surprised they did not invite you? We do not have to ask your permission to join them. And it is not being disloyal.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We will just have to agree to disagree, Mr Flaneur. I stand by everything I have said, I know what happened and who said what to whom. I still have the emails and texts about wondering where we were dining that next day, and wondering why we weren’t hearing back from you, wondering if it was because you had an international number, and then of course the big disclosure late afternoon that, well, there wasn’t going to be a dinner after all, and I rearranged my plans. I had an image of Winona sitting alone in his hotel room but I’m glad that wasn’t the case. Not sure what your definition of a lie is. Maybe I do have too high of an expectation of loyalty among friends. If BWE is such a rancid place I can always just shut it down.
jal

Post by jal »

I apologize if I said something during our meetings last week that triggered this, I thought we were all having a wonderful time but I apparently misread the situation.
Thank you for a lovely time in Maine. Thank you for the lobsters, the wines, the hosting, and especially thank you for taking time off from your busy schedule to host.
I will no longer post on this thread. It has been too toxic.
Best

Jacques
marcs

Post by marcs »

Wow this is super disappointing to see. This has been a great community for a long time and it’s being damaged out of all proportion to any provocation. Jim I hope you calm down and are able to apologize at some point.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm perfectly calm, Marcus, I'm sorry if you're disappointed.
I believe very strongly in my complaints, and I'm sorry it has upset some here.
Again, you should not assume you are seeing all the evidence here on the site.
If I did present that it would only make things worse, so I won't.
In any event, there will be no apology.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Also:
Let’s get one thing straight, folks.
You’ll not change my mind that the behavior I’m talking about was in the wrong. So you can each come here and tell me it’s time for an apology, etc. You’re just going to have to accept the fact that I’m going to disagree with you on that. Maybe I can agree with JC that it shouldn’t be aired out publicly, etc., but let me be clear: I’m simply not going to accept being lied to by so called friends. At some point the group will either get past it or it won’t. There is a very easy way to end this and that is to simply bring BWE to an end and delete it. This is the third time that Patrick has left the site, complaining that mean Jim is scaring people off. Yeah, I’ve been scaring people off for 23 years. But if folks don’t like it then we can move on and I’ll contact Hostgator to delete my account. It’s really up to you. I deal with angry people every day of the week, many who are “disappointed” in me, etc. I have a life beyond BWE. If you all think it’s time to wrap up the site, just let me know. Otherwise, I’ll keep posting my tasting notes, and Trump comments, and pictures of dinners with fellow BWEers. Many of you have known me for 23 years. If you have doubts by now about my character or the type of person I am, then there’s not much I can do and I’m afraid you’ll continue to be “disappointed” in me. If that’s the case then BWE is probably not the place for you. In the meantime, I have work to do. Have a good weekend, chill out, and drink some fine northern Medoc.
tim

Post by tim »

I value BWE.

At work, we have a guiding principle of “assume positive intent.” I’d suggest that would be a good principle to apply here. Law is an adversarial system, wine shouldn’t be.