Back to wine: 2000 Pontet Canet

JCNorthway

Back to wine: 2000 Pontet Canet

Post by JCNorthway »

I will pass on most of what I've seen here the past couple of days and hope it's mostly a lot of "guys being guys" when being "challenged" by one another. I was always sort of a "pacifist" about being a guy, so it's hard for me to understand this stuff.

Anyway, my first 2000 Pontet Canet from a case purchased on release. I've had the 1996 of this previously and really enjoyed it, giving it perhaps 92-94 points. But this vintage screams very Pauillac! I decanted it only for an hour due to poor planning. But even an hour caused this wine to begin opening up. Lots of cedar and earth, along with still youthful fruit. I would give this 93-95 points tonight, with the chance of being even higher with a few more years.
JimHow

Re: Back to wine: 2000 Pontet Canet

Post by JimHow »

Somehow I knew you had a case of this in your cellar, Jon, thank you for your report. I'm wondering when they went with the whole biodynamic thing. I have a case each of the 2004 and 2006 Pontet Canet that I do not expect to be as good as your 2000s. Nicola and I finished off the last bottle of my case of 1996s a few years ago and it was the best bottle from the case, quite stunning.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice report, Jon, I wish I had your patience. I drank my last of 4 about 6 months ago. It performed just as yours did, taking an hour to open and showing plenty of exuberant fruit with some early complexity.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Somehow I knew you had a case of this in your cellar, Jon
I actually have two cases - a long story, but I don't regret having it.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

That 1996 that Jim opended a few years ago, was excellent, perfect mix of Pauillac and 1996.

Dstgolf opened a 2000 at a diner we had at his place, and it beat up easily the 2002 Mission Haut Brion i brought that day.

And i think i'm with you Jon, preferring a bit more the 2000 to the 1996. But 2 great Pontet Canet.