Dueling First Growth Fun

JoelD

Dueling First Growth Fun

Post by JoelD »

An impromptu belated birthday dinner turned into a bunch of fun first growths with some other great Bordeaux and Champagnes included. I’ll do a full writeup this week.

Unofficial voting gave the 1985 Mouton the consensus WOTN. It got murkier from there as almost every wine was great. Sadly the 1985 Haut Brion was a bit oxidized. I also blinded everyone on the 1985 Lynch Bages that ended up showing incredibly with a couple hours of bottle air. The very pleasant surprise was the lovely and super fresh 1993 Trotanoy for me. These two rounded out my top 3 of the night. If tallying votes, I think the 1990 Mouton and 1993 Haut Brion would have rounded out the top 3 for the group. But it was close and the Trotanoy or Lynch might have slid into the third spot.

The two grower champagnes were awesome. And the 1988 Climens was probably the best I’ve ever had of this wine. The color was so light and it was on the dryer side.
IMG_1942.jpeg
robert goulet

Re: Dueling First Growth Fun

Post by robert goulet »

Nice!!!...and

'93 strikes again, a really classic, soft and lovely vintage❤️

Orlando Bobby set up a bid for us 2x on some '93 Trots...he shit the bed 2x trying to pull off the win🤦‍♂️...bummer
ericindc

Post by ericindc »

Fun night. My tops were the '85 Mouton, '90 Mouton, and the '93 Haut Brion. Its weird. I didn't love the grower champagnes, but I am generally not a fan of most growers. I liked the Clouet 1911 the best although it was too young.
--
Eric
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

'93 again!!! Luv it!
I actively seek out '93's

Incredible tasting boys
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I see the Vilmart emotion...I am def. a fan of Vilmart, but the 2013 Emotion I had recently seemed very pedestrian.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I have an '86 Talbot but doesn't seem like it stood out ☹️
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

robert goulet wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:46 am I see the Vilmart emotion...I am def. a fan of Vilmart, but the 2013 Emotion I had recently seemed very pedestrian.
How much air did you give it? The 13 is more linear than the 12 and needed it, probably needs a little time in the bottle.

As for the Talbot, it was quite good and less monolithic than previous bottles. But still an 86, which are often a bit hard and tannic for my tastes in general. It was middle of the pack in a tough lineup. I'll post notes later but I still gave it a very solid 94pts I'd say.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Was open about an hour 30.
marcs

Post by marcs »

robert goulet wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:48 am I have an '86 Talbot but doesn't seem like it stood out ☹️
It did stand out! It's just that it was one of those great nights where almost everything stood out and some others stood out more.

A few quick TNs/impressions -- this was my first taste of fine wine for like three months and definitely brought it back with a bang. Just fantastic stuff tonight and every bottle but one (the 85 Haut Brion) performed great.

1985 Mouton Rothschild -- The very first wine I tried and it was hard to tear myself away! I tried to keep a bit in my glass for most of the night. Just a TREMENDOUS bouquet, the kind of wine you can sit and breathe in all night. A bit of that classic Bordeaux "grandmas attic" cedar, a beautiful touch of floral violet winding around some aged but still seductive ripe blackberry fruit, and an undertone of freshly tilled warm earth. Just such a picture perfect high level old Bordeaux, still fully alive and entering into a contemplative and vivid old age. On the palate it started a bit closed on the finish, but sitting in the glass it opened up to (almost) match the bouquet.

I really wonder whether post-2000 Bordeaux will ever end up tasting like this...discuss.

1990 Mouton Rothschild -- I had the pleasure of having this in the glass right next to the 85 Mouton where they made a perfect contrast. They were very recognizably similar in flavor but the difference in vintage character really came through loud and clear, with the 1990 being softer, rounder, and plusher. Less floral and subtle, more rich and fruity. Even a whisper of alcohol at the end but not imbalanced, one would really only have noticed it compared to the svelte and tailored 1985. Also a wonderful wine but I'd put the 1985 perhaps the slightest hair ahead as it's more subtle today. Five years from now I suspect they switch places.

1993 Haut Brion -- second time I've had this (first was two years ago), really excellent wine, not big but had a tremendous complexity and intrigue to it. With less fruit than the two Moutons it might have been even a slightly better food match as it was very transparent. Can't remember the details as well but expected to love this from my first time having it and I did. The lighter and more red-fruited quality of the year and the darker smokier aspect of Pessac-Leognan make a great combo.

1986 Talbot -- I brought this, the third time I've had this wine and it's been reliably excellent. Just a huge wine with many years to go, minerally, steely, but with more depths of cold black fruit emerging steadily hour by hour as it stays open. Kind of an iron fist in an iron glove. Can use a 1-2 hour decant if you open now, and has another 10-15 years in it easy. (I did not decant it as I typically don't, so this worked against it). Very 1986 and very classically Bordeaux. I put it a rung below the Moutons as it didn't have soft playful seductive subtlety of the Moutons -- this is a big bass-noted wine.

1985 Haut Brion -- not corked, but something was wrong. Super funky to start -- the funk faded into kind of an aged soy sauce note, but overall stayed more mushroomy than fruity. Really the only wine that didn't perform tonight.

1993 Trotanoy -- Not sure I gave this wine enough a chance as I had my hands (and mouth, and blood alcohol capacity) full with other wines. Others really liked it. I did too, I just didn't go wild over it. The softer 1993 year definitely let the normally huge Trotanoy reach full maturity. Between the age and the vintage, a kind of a beautifully faded photograph of classic Pomerol flavors, but lacked intensity for me.

1995 Pichon Lalande -- Another wine I brought. Surprisingly this seemed young at almost 30 years old. Had a quality I like in old PLL which is a nice greenness combined with a dark fruited cassis exotic quality -- seemingly contradictory but it works. However, that quality was pinched and eventually overwhelmed by powerful tannins and minerality that seemed to emerge more with aeration as opposed to fading -- definite sign of a younger wine. I have another bottle but not going to open for 5+ years. Have a few 1996s too.

1985 Lynch Bages -- Joel blinded us all on this, and got lots of guesses that were around the target but not a direct hit. I guessed 1980s left bank, others guessed a 1986, no one guessed the producer. I was shocked to hear it was the 1985 Lynch, as this wine was big, dark, and had lots of mineral and coffee elements -- when I had the 85 Lynch almost 20 years ago (!), when it was about 18 years old, it was notably soft, red-fruited, and seductive. Just a reminder that the personality of a wine can change considerably over its lifetime! Either that or bottle variation, but this really had a lot of clout and intensity for a 1985. Not surprising for a Lynch from the 80s, but surprising for an 85.
Last edited by marcs on Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JoelD wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:32 pm
robert goulet wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:46 am I see the Vilmart emotion...I am def. a fan of Vilmart, but the 2013 Emotion I had recently seemed very pedestrian.
How much air did you give it? The 13 is more linear than the 12 and needed it, probably needs a little time in the bottle.

As for the Talbot, it was quite good and less monolithic than previous bottles. But still an 86, which are often a bit hard and tannic for my tastes in general. It was middle of the pack in a tough lineup. I'll post notes later but I still gave it a very solid 94pts I'd say.

Hah! I was considering posting a CT note on the Talbot (something I rarely do), and had also decided on a 94 points for my score. Top end of very very good but not quite reaching transcendence. I do think it suffered from not being decanted and also being in a stunning lineup of wines that were more immediately ready to drink. A good wine to sit with over dinner and watch open up over the course of an evening.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great lineup, and excellent notes Marcs.