2010 Cantemerle

RPCV

2010 Cantemerle

Post by RPCV »

A blast of cooler weather brought the season's first fire in the fireplace. Along for the ride was grilled picanha (top sirloin cap), creamy stone-ground polenta and the seasons last zuchinni.

Now to the star of the dinner, THE 2010 Cantemerle......just lovely. Perfect cork poured straight away. Dark color lightening at the rim but certainly primary. Aromas and flavors of licorice, dark and red cherries; a bit Margaux-like. A faint herbaceous note emerges with air that adds complexity. Tannins are there, but I like them. Not too astringent or aggressive, just a nicely balanced young wine. Finish is long and very appealing. Such a pleasurable wine and perfect for the dinner fare. A four star effort.

Day two reveals the same aromatic and flavor profile so no rush on these. However, I like the balance of today so I'll drink my remaining stash in the next few years.
Nicklasss

Re: 2010 Cantemerle

Post by Nicklasss »

RPCV, nice report on that great vintage of Cantemerle. Soooo balanced, and complex and long.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Sounds like it might be time to crack my lone bottle of this. With the long finish, I would think it might gain some complexity over the coming years for my palate. What are you worried about it losing? Freshness?
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Hello Joel.

I just really liked where it is drinking now; fine bead of acidity, layered, long, and balanced. I've got 3 more and plan to drink two in the coming months and save one for a few more years. I have quite a few older Bordeaux so I don't really need more aged wines, although I am certain the 2010 will go the distance.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds nice. Cantemerle has been a regular go-to but I missed 2010.
JimS

Post by JimS »

2010 may be my favorite vintage of this wine - period. I opened one last year and found it to be just entering the sweet spot for my palate. Still youthful, but very accessible and complex. I haven't been as impressed by vintages post 2010 - like 2015, 2016 I both found enjoyable but don't think they achieved what they did in 2010 at this address in my opinion. One of my faves and just ridiculous value for what is still a sub $50/btl wine imho.