1983 Talbot

robert goulet

1983 Talbot

Post by robert goulet »

Dinner at Osprey in Baldwin Park

Been looking for a reason to pop this for sometime....Fall weather screams old Bordeaux and Burgundy.

The cork slides out fairly easy with a standard ah so, and it's wet/soaked thru on the bottom 1/3....a small pour to start and the wine is left to sit open for a few minutes.

Just what I was seeking, absolute classic Bordeaux scents protrude from the Zweisel. Old sweaty locker room (cordier funk) coffee, leather, musty tobacco and shittake. These are unparalleled aromas that sit firmly in my wheelhouse. I just wanted to sit, sniff and indulge this all evening. This is why you age your Bordeaux.

On the palate, the Talbot is much lighter than what the pungent aromas might foreshadow. Time in the glass allowed the flavors to unfurl. Tannins are completely melted, there is some light tartness, but it feels fresh on the plate, and the remaining fruit has a coolness to it. All the savory sous bois has come forward along with the classic notes on the nose in a reserved, understated style. Everything melded together nicely, I must say, I really dig this, what a way to welcome in the autumnal season.
Cheers🍷
JoelD

Re: 1983 Talbot

Post by JoelD »

Lovely. I just acquired my first bottle of this wine. Sounds like it's classic Cordier. I'm really looking forward to it as 83 has slowly become either my second or third favorite BDX vintage.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Indeed '83 is a lovely vintage
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

Yes, ‘83 is a truly lovely vintage, especially in Margaux.
The Palmer and Chateau Margaux were extraordinary, as good (at least) as their 1982 counterparts.