Sad times with a young 2020

Nicklasss

Sad times with a young 2020

Post by Nicklasss »

The world is not getting better. I feel like i had 3 kids, that will live in a World that is unlikely to improve : war in Ukraine, war in Israel, crazy shooter in Maine, what's next? To make us cry and think where are we going?

Man, i invited my parents for dinner, as you have to enjoy the ones you love, before what's next...

I asked my father, we will have a young 2020 rec Bordeaux, that just arrived here 2 weeks ago, chose an appellation between Saint Julien, Pauillac or Saint Estèphe... his choice was Saint Estèphe.

The 2020 Chateau Calon Segur is young, but impressively gifted. Dark color, with a nose full of blackcurrants, integrated oak, cedar, lot of forrest floor, blackberries... with something spicy. Mouth is very balanced, fruity, but with lot of flesh, tannins, freshness, cedar, violet berries and flowers. Some ripe green something, tannic cherries, and a long ligth austere long fruity vegetal mineral finish. Very Calon. This is quite something, and surely a distinctive excellent to great Calon Segur. Prices are up, but this is a great showing, for those who appreciates classical Bordeaux, made in a controlled ripe way. Very drinkable. Tn : 95.

It was a great Bordeaux, in a time i consider very disturbed, sad, and worrying...
Nicklasss

Re: Sad times with a young 2020

Post by Nicklasss »

A very classical style Bordeaux. Got me.
Attachments
Well, try it! Calon Segur at his top!
Well, try it! Calon Segur at his top!
marcs

Post by marcs »

I don’t think the world is any worse than it ever was, and in some ways it is better, but there is a LOT more media devoted to bringing the worst of it not just to our door but hot-wiring it into our minds through our phones. That part is new.

I spend a lot of time reading history, always been a hobby…you’d be surprised how much absolutely horrific stuff used to be routine.

Glad you were able to relax and enjoy one of the worlds finest wines with your family…
smoore4

Post by smoore4 »

We take so much for granted. When your biggest complaint of the day is that you paid too much for a Ch. Montrose (or insert fav name here) that is past its prime, then savour that Montrose because you are in a place where the world is good. I used to worry about losing my hair until my brother had cancer. I don't worry about my hair anymore.
PghMike

Post by PghMike »

While there are major challenges in the world right now, I am not yet convinced that things are all downhill. World War I and II as well as parts of the Cold War likely felt awfully bleak. It was once viewed as a near certainty that nuclear war between the US and Soviets would end humanity as we know it. While terrible, the scale of conflict in the world right now doesnt seem out of the ordinary historically. Many more died in Vietnam than Ukraine and Israel/Gaza so far - not that either are triumphs of humanity... The indifferent masses will eventually have to rise to the challenge someday whether it be global warming, AI or some other challenge. While often criticized, I see a younger generation coming that is far more in tune with today's challenges than the political old guard.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Folks
I'll address the first issue of the wine.
2020 is an excellent Bordeaux vintage on both banks, in a different style to 2019.
I tried 50-60 2020's a few months back and they were excellent overall BUT I am not buying any simply as I have too much red wine and an increasing list of health issues is making things rather difficult. Anyway at age 66 I cannot see any point buying wine for long term keeping and have the unpleasant thought that my rels will probably send it off to auction after I pass on.

If any of you can wait 15-20 years, I have no doubt that 2020 will excel, though their friendly profile will allow shorter term drinking.

On the later point.
The Lewiston mass killing is just one of a long stream of such violence.
I DID note the location and wondered if Jim was affected - I now see he's okay.

I looked up FBI data and that suggests that 400-470M guns are owned in the US and that more than half of them are illegally owned.
So if the legally owned guns are removed from circulation (yeah, that would only take a few minutes...) then what do you do to recover 200-250 million illegally owned firearms? And they include handguns to military grade stuff. Drug cartels, gangs, other criminals and the like will kill anyone trying to take them away. And many of the owners of legally obtained guns will do the same. So without a civil war, forget about any chance of meaningful change. Sorry folks. I wish you were not in that position, but it hasn't happened overnight.

The incident was vaguely mentioned here in Singapore though there are lots of hot spots at the moment (not just Israel/Gaza and Ukraine) so it did not get much airtime and importantly, it was reported as just another normal day in a country that has lots more guns than people.

I understand the arguments against guns and thankfully I live in a country which is largely gun free, and violence of any kind is uncommon. A fight at a food court here is big news. my point however is that the issue of gun ownership and violence isn't going away any time soon and the right of private ownership has been confirmed in your high court.

As for causes of the attack, I've been a qualified psychologist for 40 odd years, though later moved into research, consulting, academia and then investing. I still read the psych journals and have a particular interest in substance abuse (my first master's thesis was on that topic). Firstly, there are two types of psychiatric disorders that increase the probability of violent acts, particularly malefic acts with no specific etiology. They are schizophrenic spectrum disorders and personality disorders.

However, there is a stronger correlate of violence which is substance abuse. It increases the probability of violent acts by a factor of ten. No, I do not mean the dealers, cartels and gangs I mean the actual users. Of course, a lot of violence and crime is associated is with the trade. So maybe a good place to start is changing the way substance abuse is handled as if there was any need to demonstrate that exist policy and practice isn't working, read statistics on the topic or take a walk in neighborhoods which are most affected.

I have also done research and consulting work on the topic in Australia and the same unhelpful ways of thinking are rife. I give up now.

As for the violence in the world, I grew up in the cold war era and agree with others that it was a scary time. There was a perception of one power vs another, though in reality, the USSR was crumbling for a long time before it finally collapsed. The USA over-estimated the economic strength of the USSR and under-estimated the problems inherent in a forced union and hopeless policy.

Well I'm not feeling too confident now but my wife tells me I worry too much. probably true but I can't just ignore the violence and suffering I see.

One last point. Over here in SE Asia, govts are a lot more worried about China than any other nation and the Chinese economy is much worse than Bloomberg or CNBC will tell you. A story for another day.

cheers
Mark