Philadelphia Area Bordeaux Verticals

DavidK

Philadelphia Area Bordeaux Verticals

Post by DavidK »

I'm new to this board but not new to organizing wine dinners. Is anyone interested in Bordeaux verticals to be held at one of the terrific BYOB restaurants in the Delaware Valley? I'm looking for general expressions of interest, with details to be worked out among those who would like to participate.
JoelD

Re: Philadelphia Area Bordeaux Verticals

Post by JoelD »

Hi David,

I am always interested in these types of offline events and organize a lot myself around the DC area. As well as the upcoming BWE DC convention if you'd like to join, please PM me with your info.

I also make it up to NYC tastings and dinners and could definitely trek up to Phillyfor one. Preferably one that isn't a great distance from the Amtrak station but I could also drive. I'm sure that I could get some of the DC, NYC, PA crowd to join as well.

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to meeting you. Cheers

Joel
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

Give me an opportunity to visit Harry and my old stomping grounds.
Brian Pinci
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

Thanks for replying, Joel and Brian. Please pm some contact information.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We get up to the City of Brotherly Love on occasion so possible.
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

Thanks for replying, Jay. Please PM some contact information.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

X
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

Thanks for replying, Harry! Please send contact information
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

After having recovered from some health issues, I finally arranged a vertical last Sunday at June BYOB in Collingswood, NJ. The restaurant has a French-ish menu. The wine theme was Ch. Ducru-Beaucaillou. We had six people (all longtime friends of mine who have deep cellars) and six vintages: 1978, 1985, 1995, 1996, 2000, and 2005. There were some additional wines, including some white burgundy and a bottle of 1986 Ch. Clemens. All of the Ducru bottles were sound. The 2000 was decanted at table. The 1985, 1995, and 2005 were audouzed for about five hours, then brought to the restaurant. The 1978 and the 1996 were popped-and-poured. Across the span of these years, Ducru was made with a unitary conception. Several of the wines evolved a bit during the evening, in particular the 1978 and the 2005. Those wines both faded some with time. Initially the most powerful of the six, the 2005 reverted to mean after about an hour. Conversely, time in the glass helped the 1995 and the 1996 to come into sharper focus. Everyone was happy with all of the Ducrus and with the overall experience.

Anyone interested in coming to the Philadelphia area for a vertical, please get in touch with me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicely done, David, it's pretty hard to beat Ducru in my book. Hope to meet you in the Philly area at some point.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We had a nice dinner at a BYOB off Rittenhouse Square called Luna. Italian cuisine owned by an Albanian women. Nice stemware and they decanted one of my wines. Let me tell you Albanian women are beautiful and love their country. We might have to visit one day.