Rome, Naples and the island of Ischia

Jay Winton

Rome, Naples and the island of Ischia

Post by Jay Winton »

We're planning a trip for a couple of weeks in early May 2024. Any advice especially for Ischia would be appreciated.
Michael-P

Re: Rome, Naples and the island of Ischia

Post by Michael-P »

When a young lad, I pursued a young woman that suggested I meet her on her vacation in Ischia. Neither of us lived there or in the same country and by the time I arrived in Ischia she informed me she now had a new boyfriend back home so didn't want to spend any time with me. I then had the best grilled octopus ever at a restaurant on the docks and the following day a travel nightmare of trying to get back home early, which ended up with me going to visit a college buddy in the US army in Berlin for the rest of my vacation. That part of my trip was good.

Sorry Jay, as a result no insights or suggestions for Ischia other than grilled octopus.

Michael-P
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

For Rome, we were there in March this year just before going to London for the BWE gathering hosted by Ian. We had sought out restaurant suggestions from BWE and others and can recommend these that we went to:

Salumeria Con Cucina Roscioli (in the wine cellar downstairs)
Colline Emiliane
Matricianella

And you need to book this tour directly with the Vatican as no tour groups can do it: Vatican Necropolis of St. Peter's Basilica.
Gets you in the Vatican without a long line, after the tour you're in and can walk up to the Cuppolla (the top of the church with great views) and elsewhere in the church.

Michael-P
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks Michael. At this point we're thinking of seeing Rome next time and including some days on the Amalfi Coast.
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

In Naples, we had a wonderful but very unusual meal at Palazzo Petrucci. We had a reservation at 7 for this beautiful restaurant on the beach. We were a bit confused upon arrival because you take an elevator down to the restaurant and when we entered the room, we were the only ones there. The waiter explained the locals eat much later and by 10pm it was packed. Food was very fresh and innovative. We had the tasting menu. Pretty expensive but memorable. Nice wine list, mostly Italian.
In Rome, if you like truffles try Osteria Barberini. It is very hard to find down an alley but well worth the search.
We tended to just walk around and go to the restaurant filled with Italians.
Brian Pinci
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

UPDATE: Now in Rome for a couple of days-hey, it's the eternal city after all. Flight and hotels are booked. Thanks for the restaurant suggestions.