2020 Clarinet

Nicklasss

2020 Clarinet

Post by Nicklasss »

I met Julie Powell and Zac Brown while i was working in Kitimat, Bc, in 2002. The couple were working for the same company as me, left, went away, get married in Switzerland, tour some place in the World, came back to Canada. Bought the Alderlea Vineyards estate 7 years ago. Duncan, Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island. I stopped by last August, and they have some of the oldest vines of the Island. Zac was making wines in his basement back in 2002, good wines with limited equipment. Today, with a lot more of good equipment, he is making wines that clearly respect the grape and terroir.

Last night, opened the 2020 Clarinet, made of Marechal Foch. This is surely one of the best Marechal Foch wine i had. Dark red color, perfumed nose of purple fruits, blackcurrants, light coffee and some herbs. Powerful fruity attack, ripe but with balance. Purple flowers, some light oak, black berries. Flavorful, but the finish is light, on lilac, and makes you think that you have a sweet caress to swallow. Excellent. Tn: 89-90.

Wines is so impressing sometimes, out of the Crus Classés...
Attachments
Nice Marechal Foch wine
Nice Marechal Foch wine
JCNorthway

Re: 2020 Clarinet

Post by JCNorthway »

Not only a good wine, but a great story behind it.
dstgolf

Re: 2020 Clarinet

Post by dstgolf »

Nic,

Great story. Still tough to make great wines in many places in Canada with native grapes and winter hardy varietals like Marechal Foch. Maybe they've found the right match and paired with good winemaking but I'm skeptical. Last year I visited a few wineries on Isle d'Orleans with most grape varietals I had never heard of before all winter hardy varietals and I must say out of 3 wineries and 15 samplings later I don't know who buys this stuff especially at the prices they were asking as they were universally undrinkable for my palate. Sounds like you found a winner though on the other side of the country.
Danny