1988 Pichon Lalande

robert goulet

1988 Pichon Lalande

Post by robert goulet »

Birthday dinner the other night with Orlando Bobby and the crew...My wine of the night was the '88 P. Lalande… Thought we had a dud here, the bottle looked in pristine shape, but the cork was a little faulty and expected the worst…no way sir, this was everything a classic Bordeaux lover seeks.

Note to self, drink more Pichon Lalande, I always give extra praise to a wine that builds in intensity and complexity as it’s exposed to oxygen…this did just that…it's sort of a 'pseudo-Sociando', an amalgam between Bordeaux ‘Zan’ and Chinon ‘Jayna,’ Wonder Wine Twin Powers activate!…this was like weaving through the produce aisle at your local supermarket unabashedly sampling the goods while Karen’s are giving u the stink-eye. Regardless, you don’t give a fuck, you’re shameless, focused and in your element, so let’s do this…mild jalapeno, celery stick, heirloom tomato, sugar snap peas, damp forest, graphite, tobacco…like some gorgeous alcohol infused Goulash w/ dried plum woven in…LOVE😍

Glorious stuff, the complete antithesis of big over ripe, over oak Napa wines of the last 20 + yrs…thank God for old Bordeaux ❤️ What a wine, what a night!
jckba

Re: 1988 Pichon Lalande

Post by jckba »

88 Lalande has always been an under appreciated effort and likely because while Parker called it one of the wines of the vintage he bestowed a lowly 90 point score which likely sealed its fate, but the wine is better than that; nicely done and happy belated.

https://www.farrvintners.com/wine.php?wine=4056
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I will be on the look out for more
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

A favorite producer and our wedding year, we went through a case of this a while back. Glad to hear it still delivers.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Lovely. Happy Birthday to the OB's. This is one of the Pichon's from the 80s that I haven't tried yet. I absolutely adore the 85/89 and the 86 when it's a correct bottle. I have the 83 as one of my options on queue for the convention in a couple weeks, looking forward to it.

Might be time for another Pichon Lalande vertical soon. They always show so well.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I last had the 88' PLL nine years ago from magnum. It was quite youthful then and very enjoyable. I made a note at the time believing it would not be as long lived as either the 89' or 90' but would easily go another ten to twelve years.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I’m feeling inspired by this thread to open either my ‘88 Pichon Lalande or ‘88 Domaine de Chevalier (both my only bottles) this weekend.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Sadly had to make choices when selling wine and recently consigned a bunch of 88 PLL and 88 LLC to KL. Now that I read here, perhaps a mistake. :(
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
Sadly had to make choices when selling wine and recently consigned a bunch of 88 PLL and 88 LLC to KL. Now that I read here, perhaps a mistake.
>>
Yes, you should have sold them to me. Then you could have continued to drink them if you visited Oregon.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

So I opened a 1988 Pichon Lalande last night with some prime bone-in ribeyes.
It was a bit lighter weight than I expected, but elegant, with a complex nose, lovely balance and overall delicious nonetheless. I gave it a 92.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

stefan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:56 pm >>
Sadly had to make choices when selling wine and recently consigned a bunch of 88 PLL and 88 LLC to KL. Now that I read here, perhaps a mistake.
>>
Yes, you should have sold them to me. Then you could have continued to drink them if you visited Oregon.
Am I wrong in thinking years ago we had an informal buy/sell forum?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

hautbrionlover wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:47 am So I opened a 1988 Pichon Lalande last night with some prime bone-in ribeyes.
It was a bit lighter weight than I expected, but elegant, with a complex nose, lovely balance and overall delicious nonetheless. I gave it a 92.
Lovely! Well done sir... Ethereal stuff ❤️
ericp

Post by ericp »

Jay Winton wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:55 pm
stefan wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:56 pm >>
>>
Am I wrong in thinking years ago we had an informal buy/sell forum?

We did Jay, but it was so long ago it was on the old site software😂