1993 Montelena Estate Cabernet

RPCV

1993 Montelena Estate Cabernet

Post by RPCV »

Long time fan of this estate. One of the few California wines that has kept true to its founding roots. Montelena, Dunn and Togni are the only California wines that I buy other than Ridge Geyserville, of course :lol:

On to the wine....last of the 93's.

Cork needed the Durand. Popped and poured. Beautiful bricked translucent rim deepening into a dark garnet core. Funky at first so I left the glass for an hour. Opened the 2020 Louis Michel Chablis Montee de Tonnerre which was quite good; albeit a fatter and riper rendition, but still very "chablis". Upon return, it was clearly still absorbing oxygen so I left it for another 30 minutes. I probably should have used the Andouze method.

The steak was ready so I waded in. Graphite, red cherry and earthy loam dominate the nose. A wee bit of herbs in the background add complexity. Very captivating and total different now with some air. Initially, I thought this was a dud. I love it when a wine tricks you like that...my motto is never give up on an older wine! The palate follows the nose with pencil shavings, bright red cherry and dusty loam. A little saline quality peaks through with a sneaky herbal flavor. Nice lengthy finish. Equating this wine to a Bordeaux wouldn't be right because this wine represents California in the best possible way. Still, even in an off vintage like 1993, Bo Barrett creates magic like all great winemakers do. Paired so well with the meal....ripe, mature, cleansing acidity, resolved tannins and a joy to drink. Why I purchase and cellar wine! A **** plus effort.
Gerry M.

Re: 1993 Montelena Estate Cabernet

Post by Gerry M. »

Montelena and Ridge were the only mailing lists I remained on for years. I reluctantly dropped off of them a couple of years ago only because the Montelena Estate and Monte Bello need at least ten years to start showing their stuff.

The 93' Estate was a little leaner with a little green streak in its' youth. At the time, I didn't think it would make old bones but it's good to hear I was wrong. 93' followed two very good vintages of 91' and 92' and was overlooked by the outstanding 94'. It was easily lost in the mix. Thanks for the good news!
jckba

Post by jckba »

90s Montelena can certainly be great.

And if you were comparing it to a Bdx, would you be north of Bdx in say Saint Julien or south of in Graves?
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

More Graves character because of the earthiness, but the 1991, 1992 and 1994 are more St. Julien.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I am a longtime Montelena lover. I have every vintage of the estate Cab from 1990 on, but noticed last week that I’m down to my last bottle on a couple of them. I’ll have to open a ‘93 soon, as it’s been quite a while and they’re probably getting long in the tooth (for that vintage anyway, though the ‘91, ‘92 and ‘94 are holding well).
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

93 and 92 are two overlooked Cali Cab vintages. Both need drinking, but I have many fond memories drinking these vintages while many were chasing 1990, 91 and 1994.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

I love a good Montelena. Bottle shock nostalgia anyone?

Also I have had extremely good luck with the underrated 1993 vintage in Napa. A nice cooler feel to the fruit often that speaks to me.

Just lovely and classic to me across many wines. I haven't yet had the 1993 but the 1987 that WinonaChief brought to the 2021 Friday convention dinner was my WOTN out of 50+ wines. Also the 1997 that I dropped and broke in my cellar two years ago smelled amazing...