BWE lives! In Auckland New Zealand

Comte Flaneur

BWE lives! In Auckland New Zealand

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Comes back to life, like the phoenix from the ashes, in a far flung corner of the world, which is the rather delightfully civilised Auckland, the largest city in New Zealand.

We met at Ian’s house in Eden Park to sample some mature Bordeaux, topped and tailed by Perrier Jouet, a 2022 Kumeu River Chardonnay Ray’s Road from Hawkes Bay (rather than from the KR HQ North of Auckland), and a 1997 Penfold’s Grange.

The KR was lean and clean, weighing in at a trim 12.5% abv and still a youngster.

The first Claret we opened was Ch La Lagune 1997. What a beautiful elegant wine, it really sang for us.

Next up Gruaud Larose 1985 showed very well despite its 12,000 mile journey, likewise the GPL 1996, showed very well too, two good examples of mature left banks.

Then we tried 2008 Leoville Barton, which was surprisingly backward. I say surprisingly because when I last tried it nine years ago it already seemed open for business.

The most disappointing claret was the 2004 Giscours, which was painfully awkward, and clearly not ready to drink, though it was popped and poured at the last minute, so perhaps it would have been different if it had been given a good decant.

The Penfolds had the trademark Grange signature, with some ripe and distinctive berry and eucalyptus notes and was surprisingly sleek on the palate. A good wine but lacked the nuance of the mature clarets and I actually preferred the La Lagune.

It was a pleasure to meet Ian, his wife, family and friends for a splendid evening.

IMG_1508.jpeg
IMG_1505.jpeg
jckba

Re: BWE lives! In Auckland New Zealand

Post by jckba »

Nice report Ian from down under (which I think also applies to NZ). A nice varied selection of fine Medoc’s and it just seems to me that there just are so many wines from the aughts which are simply unyielding in their current state (I think of my 2005 Leoville Barton experience recently) and it really makes me wonder if with all this winemaking prowess, when will these wines be ready? Is 30 the new 20?
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Yes, it was a great evening indeed and wonderful to meet you, Ian. Thank you also for your generosity in bringing out those two lovely mature Bordeaux all the way from London with you.

Just a few additional points on some of the wines from me:

The 97 La Lagune set a high benchmark right from the start. Refined, elegant, in a beautiful spot and such a delight. My wine of the night though was the Gruaud Larose 1985 which just edged it. Just a tad more complex and ‘interesting’ for me with each sip seeming to evolve and reveal different nuances and complexities. The 08 Barton was indeed backward and needs 10 years + to me. Fortunately, I have some more so will see how this evolves. The 04 Giscours is interesting as I know others on here have spoken highly of it and I’m a big fan of Giscours. I bought two 04 bottles from auction not so long ago and wonder if I was unlucky as neither have shown well. The Grange was very different in style of course, but I was pleased with how it showed up.

Good luck with your bike ride round Lake Taupo today, Ian (160ks)?!! and safe travels back.

PS – I’m based in Mount Eden, not ‘Eden Park’ which is where the All Blacks play their rugby! :D
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I'm presently in the wine country of Argentina (Mendoza) and Ian Amstadt and I have exchanged photos from other sides of the world.
The brotherhood of wine is truly international.

Alex R.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Alex, while in Argentina, seek out a bottle of either red or white from Bodega Chacra. It is the Patagonian project of Piero Incisa della Rocchetta (the grandson of Sassicaia's creator), Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays and the latter which is made in collaboration with none-other than Jean-Marc Roulot. They are well made and pushing the boundaries of what can be expected in this climate.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Very fun. I brought the 85 Gruaud to the DC convention last year and it showed quite well. Although some pretty dusty tannins mixed with some lovely Cordier funk that BWEers tend to appreciate.

Interesting combo of 97's next to each other. The 98 Penfolds showed amazingly well recently, with half the table choosing over the perfect 1989 La Mission Haut Brion.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your trip!
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Just a quick postscript to the above. There was a glass and a bit left of the 08 Barton and 04 Giscours which I had on Saturday – so day 3 from opening them. I’m pleased to report that both had improved significantly. The Barton in particular was finally displaying its true self and potential (bear in mind I had decanted this for 5 hours before we tasted it) and the Giscours was likewise demonstrating some signature Margaux traits - so perhaps not an auction dud after all.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy to read that, and that BWE still going strong with meeting for wine dinner far away. New Zealand is not an easy place to go, but a friend of mine went few years ago for work and love the place! And he did not brought back wines, but different NZ olive oils! And they were quite good.

1997 was not considered impressive in Bordeaux, but that La Lagune demonstrates that generalities don’t exist.

1985 Gruaud Larose and 1996 GPL are 2 wines i always liked. Very typical from their respective vintages and appellation.

Never tasted a Grange yet. Maybe one day.