2010 Courcel Grand Clos des Épenots

Nicklasss

2010 Courcel Grand Clos des Épenots

Post by Nicklasss »

"Want it or not, wine is a superb hobby as you'll always learn but never know it all, while developping eternal friendship with other wine lovers".

Nic

Opened a 2010 Domaine de Courcel 1er Cru Grand Clos des Épenots 2 days ago. On the first night, the wine was almost unbreathable with tones of lobster shell and iron nails... and mouth was like a black hole as nothing could get out of it! I thought this wine was "incredibly" closed and could wait 20-30 more years...

I let it in a decanter all night, pour back in the bottle the next day, put in the fridge, get out of the fridge 2 hours before the diner that second day.

So last night, the wine had opened, and was what you would call "a real extraordinary serious" Pommard. Light oxidized blood color, medium nose of old concentrated red berries, blackcurrants crushed with rocks, light forrest floor mushrooms, blood iron, and black flowers. The mouth was gentle, but at the same time so special. Flavors of old cherries, old blackberries, little strawberries, but mixed with strong terroir earthy minerals. Medium tannins, good length, with what pinot can show as convincing austere seriousness. Tn : 93.
Attachments
What a masculine Pommard
What a masculine Pommard
JoelD

Re: 2010 Courcel Grand Clos des Épenots

Post by JoelD »

I'm not surprised by this showing in the slightest. This and the Rugiens are wonderful wines that take forever to come around from Courcel. Brought the 99 to the 2022 Friday dinner and it was singing, but still very youthful. Maybe I need to try an off vintage. I have no idea when to open my 2005 of this and the Rugiens. The 2008 Rugiens was still not ready yet either.

Happy New Year!