2014 Duhart Milon has been uncorked and other ramblings....

JimHow

2014 Duhart Milon has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

Well here we are, 2024.... It was a rugged end to 2023 but I think 2024 is going to be a better year. Finally getting a chance to breathe a little bit as a jury trial scheduled to start on Tuesday settled at the last minute. I have five bottles of this 2014 Duhart Milon left in my cellar, I've been thinking of buying more (along with more 2014 Leoville Barton), I thought I'd pull this out tonight and make a final decision....
Attachments
IMG_0632.jpg
JimHow

Re: 2014 Duhart Milon has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

This time next week I'll be hanging out with some Canadien BWE habitants in the great city of Montreal, I absolutely cannot wait!
It will be my first Union de Grand Crus event on Saturday afternoon, we are going to also have dinners on Friday and Saturday nights.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was happy to see the annual BWE convention tradition continue in DC, much thanks young Joel for your leadership while I was away! I was tied up in a murder trial in Portland involving a young gangster, it was as wild a trial as I've ever been involved in, more twists and turns than a Grisham novel:

https://www.newscentermaine.com/video/n ... cd4dda4a0b
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So when we were at Pavie Macquin in October, we tasted the 2014 up against the 2019.
The 2019 outclassed the 2014 side by side.
But... vintages like 2014 -- and others -- are not meant to be tasted side by side with other vintages.
This 2014 Duhart Milon is a classic example of that principle.
It is 13%, very restrained, on both the palate and nose.
But I'm going to buy another 6 bottles, along with another 6 bottles of 2014 Leoville Barton. I love it.
2014 Duhart Milon is not for everyone's palate... But it satisfies mine, it is exactly what I look for in the Medoc.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I did get to watch a really good movie during all the madness of the last quarter of 2023, it was on Netflix.... a Korean film: "Burning."
It entered my top ten favorite movies list. Highly recommended, not sure if it is still running on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oihHs2Errwk
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Duhart Milon. I might bring a bottle next week. I guess 2014 is your type of vintage Jim. Unfortunately, i don't have any bottles of 2014 i think. But will try to find something decent.

Weekend of 19-20-21 January, UGC Montréal, 2021 vintage with BD, dstgolf, JeanFred and my good friend AlexH. Should be a good weekend. I feel very priviledged. And MC will be there, tu update on married life as at the wedding, impossible to have quality time with all.

I'm losing track, what is the final verdict on that 2014 Duhart?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicola, I rate the 2014 Duhart at 95 points. This is what I have consistently rated this wine. Like the 2014 Leoville Barton, it is everything I look for in a Medoc. Perfect expressions of St. Julien and Pauillac. I am going to buy 6 more bottles of each.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think you nailed the chatacter of the 2014 vintage: solid, classic, not flashy. I haven't had the Duhart but can second your endorsement of the Leoville Barton.
JimS

Post by JimS »

Such a wonderful wine. Opened a half bottle of the 2014 Haut Brion and it was an outright stunner. I am hard pressed to think of a 2014 that I opened in 2023 that I have not thoroughly enjoyed. An absolutely classic vintage.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That’s been my experience as well, Jim, I just seem to be never disappointed when I uncork a 2014. Just got confirmation from Saratoga that my order of Duhart and Barton has been filled, that’ll leave me with about a case of each. Drinking well now and for years to come.