05 La Tour Blanche, 17 Langoa Barton, 00 Beychevelle

AlexR

05 La Tour Blanche, 17 Langoa Barton, 00 Beychevelle

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

Dinner at my house last night.

Apéritif: Grand Cru blanc de blancs “Les Aventures“ from A.R. Lenoble. Blend of 2002 and 2006. Bottled in 2017. Rope capsule! A little oxidation there, but not very bothersome. Clearly an older Champagne that to me was past its best. Nevertheless enjoyable.

2005 Ch. La Tour Blanche: Lovely amber-golden color, complex bouquet, and not overly sweet. As good now as it ever will be. A treat with foie gras.

2017 Ch. Langoa Barton: This was the big surprise of the evening. What an elegant, delicious wine! Well made, just the right amount of oak, with freshness and considerable elegance. This is the best 2017 I’ve had. Served blind, guests were thinking Margaux. In light of the poise and lighter body, I can see why. A great experience. Went well with rare grilled duck breast.

2000 Ch. Beychevelle: Nose of incense and graphite, along with other nuances. Definitely showing its age. Classic palate in every way. Ethereal blackcurren and forest floor nuances as well as a great deal of class. At age 23, this wine is in its prime. Oh, it’ll hold in its own way, but I like it just the way it is now .

Alex R.
JimHow

Re: 05 La Tour Blanche, 17 Langoa Barton, 00 Beychevelle

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report Alex.
I rarely seem to be disappointed by Langoa Barton.
I sipped the 2001 with Lilian Barton at the UGC Montreal this weekend, a flowery label celebrating 200 years.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the notes Alex. I am a fan of 2000 Beychevelle but my case has been a bit up and down. At its best it is revelatory.

Interesting to read you effusive praise of the 17 Langoa. I was so impressed by its 17 Leoville sibling that I immediately purchased a case. That was just over a year ago.

Is 2017 a Cinderella vintage that we should be paying more attention to? Is it the new 2014?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting query, Ian, there are still quite a few 2017s on the shelves in NH, I may have to pick some up in the name of science.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Are the prices coming down/fair Jim? You mentioned that they are not ‘giving away’ the 2021s, implicitly an impediment to buying them.

I didn’t buy any 2021s and have only a few 2017s, picked up when discounted.

I have been waiting quite patiently for the price of 2017s to fall and I also picked up the Leoville Barton at a good price.

But they have been generally higher than the 2014s, which have made the 2014s easily the preferred choice.

The market in the UK is pretty soft… merchants are sitting on top of large stocks of overpriced 2022 Bordeaux and now burgundy. We can live in hope.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Not really on the 2017s, Ian, which is an issue. Although I haven’t really calculated the prices with the 20% NH sale in effect til Sunday. The only price I looked up for the 2021 vintage was Haut Bailly, which seems to be coming in around $120 at this point, which is a bit high for my liking.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice report Alex. I think that 2017 are interesting as well made, and will be drinkable sooner than bigger vintages. The 2000 Beychevelle seems in a great place from your report.

Enjoyed the 2021 Langoa last week, preferring it to many other Saint Julien last week, but 2021 Branaire was my favorite, probably followed by Talbot and Langoa. Other Saint Julien taste were more concentrated and a bit close to me (Léoville Barton, Lagrange, Beychevelle).