Getting high on a 2020 Sociando Mallet with a little help from my friends....

JimHow

Getting high on a 2020 Sociando Mallet with a little help from my friends....

Post by JimHow »

Thanks jckba (and PM, or was it JimS?) for the lead, my stash of 2020 Sociando Mallet from the too good to be true Zachys sale arrived today, uncorked one, the bouquet is filling the air here at my desk, I'm in an Haut Medoc state of mind these days....
Attachments
IMG_0682.jpg
JimHow

Re: Getting high on a 2020 Sociando Mallet with a little help from my friends....

Post by JimHow »

On the back label, it says:

"Sociando-Mallet, ... tout simplement."
JimHow

Re: Getting high on a 2020 Sociando Mallet with a little help from my friends....

Post by JimHow »

Just finished watching Charles Bronson in "Death Wish," circa 1974, now reading the NYT article on Truman Capote, circa Fifth Avenue in the 1970s.... Man, New York City in the 1970s.... Is there better fodder, ever, for film and literature? I say no.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

jckba

Post by jckba »

Wasting no time I see and I remember liking it at last years UGC tasting so looking forward to your note to see how it performs at this stage as I too wet my toes with a double 6pack purchase.

And considering that current wholesale costs are ranging between $28.90 and $35, the $23.39/per btl price we paid made this a no brainer purchase.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2020 Sociando Mallet is a serious wine, it reminds me of the 2016 vintage. It is polished, big, with lots of stuffing. I don’t think it is going to be to Orlando Robert’s liking as it seems quite modern, at least here in its infancy. But it is without question a wine of high quality, the $23 price we ended up paying on sale at Zachys is an insane price for the quality. It will age for a long time. Immediately noteworthy was the bouquet that filled the room upon uncorking. Deeply ruby/purple colored, this big boy offers up currants and cassis, the only question is whether longtime fans of this estate, like the men from Orlando, will like its style. It is obviously very young and primary but for me, especially at $23 per bottle, I’m happy to have eleven more bottles in the cellar to enjoy over the next fifteen years. Rating: 93 points.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I have to say ... I wasn't much of the fan of the sociando 2016 vintage...just a bit too glossy for me....But at 23 bucks, I'd happily take a flyer on a couple bottles.

On another note last night I popped the 2010 BAMA, Outf******standing! Could sniff this all night w/ lots of leathery saddle notes, fresh berries and damp basement... rusticity on the palate, JOY
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice description Jim. Sounds like a wine I'd enjoy. But the cellar is overflowing so no new purchases for me.

Regarding BAMA, I had a 2000 about a week ago. Just like the 2010 RG described.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A nice young Sociando from your report Jim. Does Sociando ever deceive? No... tout simplement.

AlexH bought a bottle of the 2008 cuvée Jean Gautreau last week.