Old Burgundy Dinner

barsacpinci

Old Burgundy Dinner

Post by barsacpinci »

Old Burgundy Dinner
WINE TALK

Brian_Pinci
6h
Our wine group friends Marc and Sandra hosted a dinner with some very old wines from his collection.

1988 Salon - Nose of brown sugar. Obviously some oxidation because of the rose color to it. Lots of acidity left on this and plenty of fruit. Nice finish. Shows very well. #5 wine for me.

1983 Roulot Meursault Les Mieux Chavaux - Lots of sewer funk on the nose. But it had a beautiful palate showing sweet wood Got much better with air and the sewer funk disappeared leaving a highly perfumed wine. Even the empty glass had a powerful nose after the wine was gone. A very memorable and controversial wine. #4 wine for me.

1980 Clair Dau Bonnes Mares - Had an appealing camphor nose with soy flavors to it as well as some spicy cloves. Went well with truffled cheese. But it fell apart after a while.

1980 Lucien Jayer Echezeau - A very clean nose and palate. Cherries still showing nicely with wonderful balance. Drank very young. So smooth and elegant. My #2.

1982 Dujac Charmes Chambertin - Nose of musty plums. But palate was too hot and sour for me. Not my favorite but others said it improved over the evening.

1982 Maume Charmes Chambertin - A bit bitter and acidic on the palate but some nice red fruit to it.

1969 Misserey Romanee St Vivant - Bottle said they are a negociant but also labeled that is was bottled by the domaine. Beautiful nose so smooth. Fresh and surprisingly young. A bit of cinnamon on nose and palate. My #1 as well as the groups.

1986 Dujac Clos St Denis - A got a lot of raspberries on this one - nose and palate. Very Nice wine. Definitely bramble berry showing up everywhere. Beautiful. My #3.

We also had a Port for dessert which was good but I forgot what it was, something old, but my palate was dead by then and I don’t really care for Port.

Our hosts were so gracious to open up such wonderful bottles for us. We truly enjoy tasting wines with this group.
IMG_8432.jpeg
IMG_8430.jpeg
IMG_8429.jpeg
IMG_8428.jpeg
IMG_8426.jpeg
Brian Pinci
JimHow

Re: Old Burgundy Dinner

Post by JimHow »

Nice PC. I have a 2002 Domaine Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes in my cellar, I wonder when I should uncork it.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim, based on the 2002's I've opened recently, I think it would be very good now, perhaps with a decant. Of course, it could possibly be good for some years to come. I have only a few 2002's left, and plan to drink them the next couple of years (unless one of them surprises me with its youth).
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

That is a great line up. 1980 was a very under-rated vintage in burgundy especially for reds.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

1969 is really a fabled vintage for red Burgundy-don't know about whites. Thanks for the vicarious experience, Brian.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice report on some terrific wines.

The one ive actually had is the 1988 Salon. We drank a lot of that for anniversary celebrations over the years. Probably 5+ years since we finished our stash. Salon is one of my favorite Champagnes, but I haven’t bought any since the 2006. Just too expensive.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Sounds like a wonderful evening despite some of the wines being disappointing. Wonderful that you got a great bottle of 1969 RSV.