Whole Lotta Lafite

s*d*r

Whole Lotta Lafite

Post by s*d*r »

WHOLE LOTTA LAFITE - Wine Watch, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (1/26/2024-1/27/2024)

I've tasted a number of vintages of Lafite and even done some verticals, but I still felt I had not grasped the Lafite style and confirmed its reputation for longevity. So, time to put on a significant vertical of the Château including some young ones back to the oldies to see how they are showing. I had a sprinkling of them in my collection but accumulated most of them in last year from various auctions. Is Lafite really the "First of the Firsts"?

Apéritif
  • NV Laurent-Perrier Champagne Grand Siècle Iteration 23 Grande Cuvée - France, Champagne (1/27/2024)
    From a late release magnum, this is a blend of 2006, 2004 and 2002, 58% CH, 42% PN. These Grande Siècles are ready on release and this one was very fresh and energetic with lots of citrus and yeast.
The Youngsters
  • 2018 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/26/2024)
    Purple in color, purple in flavor, as in pure grape juice. Immense concentration. Super ripe but not hot or stewed. Really tiring to drink; one sip is plenty. I lack the skill others have to determine how this will evolve. Impressive in its infancy but I can't put a number on it.
  • 2016 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/26/2024)
    Much more suave than the teeth staining 2018, this 2016 is only moderately tannic and easier to drink. Lots of black fruit. Moderately oaky. Stylish. Will not take decades to come around but it is of course primary now. Rated for potential. (94 pts.)
  • 2009 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/26/2024)
    An odd aroma of beef broth appeared briefly then settled down to a more classic red berry scent. Very tannic but fortunately not bitter. Slightly low in acidity but the stuffing mostly hides it. At age 15 it is an awkward teenager. Too soon to tell exactly how it will turn out. (93 pts.)
  • 2000 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/26/2024)
    Very youthful and exuberant. Lots of red cherry and raspberry fruit, which is delicious. Somehow both very slightly hot on the finish yet gaining sweetness as well. No complexity yet. Nice acidity. I'm optimistic for the future but you can drink it now if you like fruit bombs, Bordeaux-style. (94 pts.)
Are They Ready?
  • 1996 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    An off bottle although not corked. The fruit is old and stewed. Probably heat damaged. Sad since this vintage of Lafite can be outstanding. NR (flawed)
  • 1990 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    While this bottle was not nearly as impressive as one from last month it still proves 1990 is a highly successful vintage for Lafite with no roasted or green characteristics. Questionably high in alcohol on the palate which fortunately only detracts very slightly. Creamy texture. Ripe but not overripe. Just lacking the focus of the best bottles. In its early maturity stage and the one to reach for if you want to drink Lafite without too much risk. (93 pts.)
  • 1989 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    The first growths in 1989 do not have a great reputation other than Haut-Brion but this Lafite is fine. Interesting mix of black current, licorice and wet earth. Sometimes Lafite can resemble St. Julien or Margaux more than Pauillac but this one shows where it came from. (92 pts.)
  • 1988 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    This Lafite did not taste of the austerity for which this vintage is famous. Actually surprising hints of sweetness which along with cassis, tobacco and dirt make for an interesting drink. But only medium intensity at best and seems older than it is. (92 pts.)
Mature Lafite
  • 1986 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    If this bottle is representative the 1986 Lafite has finally come around and is in early maturity. Exciting depth of blackberry and black cherry fruit, "sophisticated" tannins as Clive Coates might have said, and well judged acidity. Sheer pleasure and might even become better with time if it develops additional complexity. (95 pts.)
  • 1985 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    Some of the experts heap great praise on this vintage of Lafite but I am not yet convinced. Soft, friendly and cuddly on the attack but the finish is short and rather thin. Even if you are not trying to be a blockbuster you should last throughout the tasting cycle all the way to the end. Perhaps other bottles are better. (92 pts.)
  • 1978 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    The decade of the seventies was not kind to Lafite - or to most Bordeaux. This '78 has received praise from some of the experts but is is far beyond its drink-by date. While there is a smidgen of interesting damp earth character it is not enough to make you want a second sip and the wine is too meager on the palate. (87 pts.)
  • 1975 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    There is no trace of Lafite elegance in this bruiser of a vintage where the tannins and acidity have outlasted the fruit and from an era in which Lafite was not at the top of the echelon. Orange brown and too acidic and thin. Sometimes these old fashioned Bordeaux can be pleasant to drink but this is not one of them. (84 pts.)
The Elder Statesmen
  • 1970 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    This was a pleasant surprise from a vintage I included in the vertical out of "necessity" and not because I expected it to be good. But it was, in a very old school claret way. Pale orange, some brown. Classic old Bordeaux aroma of sweet old polished mahogany wood and brick. It is all tertiary now so don't expect any recognizable fruit. Seems even much older than it is, though. (92 pts.)
  • 1966 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    We were blessed with an excellent exemple of 1966 Lafite, which can often be too lean and too mean. Not this bottle. Good healthy ruby color. Fine generosity in 1966 terms. The fruit is lively enough and the balance is impressive. Held up well in the glass. Undeniably pleasant drinking even if not a superstar. (93 pts.)
  • 1961 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    This was one of the best examples of 1961 Lafite, a vintage plagued by bottle variation and from which even the better ones are not in the top rank of 1961 Bordeaux. But this bottle was quite pleasing; decent concentration and length and nicely fragrant. I much appreciated its elegance and finesse. (93 pts.)
  • 1949 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    Tea color. Smells like rain water. Did not survive. Most tasters thought it was corked or otherwise spoiled. NR (flawed)
The Legends
  • 1982 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    This was the most "interesting" bottle of the vertical. Purchased many years ago from a New York merchant, the back label clearly stated it was recorked at the château in 1994. On closer inspection, the capsule and label were somewhat suspect, especially since the label was very slightly smaller than usual. The cork also did not seem entirely correct. Still, you want to drink it to see what it might be but if you do, you still can't tell anything except that it is not 1982 Lafite and it is not a good anything, being much too dry and tasteless. NR (flawed)
  • 1959 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    Fabulous mature Lafite from one of its most successful old vintages - but only for about 20 minutes. Beautiful Lafite fragrance of berry and dried flowers. Remarkably full and rich mid palate. Black and red fruit, beautiful structure and balance with just the right acidity and melted tannins. Unfortunately became less clean and lost focus after a while, but the first 20 minutes were a 97 point experience. (94 pts.)
  • 1953 Château Lafite Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (1/27/2024)
    This is what very old claret is supposed to be but rarely is. From a delicate vintage of which Lafite is reputed to be one of the stars. Color as expected for age from a sound bottle - pale tawny, some brown at the meniscus. Gorgeous subtle bouquet of rose and black tea. Not feeble on the palate even if the tertiary flavors of dried fruit demand attention. One of the favorites of the group. A lucky privilege to drink a well preserved bottle of this legend. I might have added a point or two out of respect. (94 pts.)
Sweet Dessert
  • 1967 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (1/27/2024)
    The bottle looked great including the color through the glass. But this was a very weak example. Smells too much like acetone. Only moderate viscosity and not much botrytis either. While it was very sweet, the acidity was much too high so the balance was lacking. (87 pts.)
    As usual with large verticals there were some bad ones, some misses, some excellent ones and some over-achievers. I don't find Lafite to be consistently elegant much less sublime. But the best vintages can last extremely well, arguably as well as any Bordeaux, and provide extraordinary interest and enjoyment.
    Among the Firsts, I'd vote for Lafite for its complexity, Latour for its concentration, Mouton for its flamboyance, Haut Brion for its stylishness and Margaux for its sheer beauty. Which you rate the highest depends on your stylistic preference.
    Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
    stefan

Re: Whole Lotta Lafite

Post by stefan »

Another epic Stuart tasting!

The first time I drank 1970 Lafite, sometime in the 1990s, I was similarly surprised by how good it was even if it was much different then from now. Light for 1970, but a wonderful floral nose with the mahogany accent you mention, and a pleasure to drink. For my taste 1966 Lafite was the best Lafite from the 1960s and 1970s, although the best bottles of 1978 had a stunning perfume. I missed having the 1961.
    JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A-keep it cooling baby.... Man, Lafite.... That note on the 2016 sounds similar to the way Jeff Leve describes it, Stuart, sort of light on its feet, one of the motivators for my recent purchase of 6 bottles. I still have some 1996s in my cellar, I'll have to bring one down to drink with you and K, the Man from Quebec wants to make a trip down to Florida to see you guys and the Orlando Bobbys.
    Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good title and great report Stuart.

I was wishing that you had the 2002 and 2008, as I had them with dstgolf and JimHow last May, and would have been fun to compare.

Complexity, élégance, classic Médoc, are for me thé Best descriptives for Lafite. I feel that in your descriptions.

Well done and thank you for reporting.

On a side note, I enjoy read all your report, especially the ones on FG + Cheval Blanc + Petrus + Ausone + Mission Haut Brion, as I’m trying to analyze and find which one is your real favorite… not easy…
    AlexR

Post by AlexR »

OMG, 19 vintages, including some legendary ones. And such good tasting notes!

What strikes me is that the "first of the firsts" only garners one score above 94 (for the 1986 vintage).
    What gives?
    I'm a tough grader myself, but even so...

I have tasted Lafite en primeur for a few years with Izak Litwar, and one vintage that particularly impressed me was the 2004, of which I have two bottles.
    I was privileged to be invited to dinner at Lafite once, and I asked the manager of all the Rothschild estates what "politically incorrect" vintage of Lafite he would especially recommend. He answered: 2004.

All the best,
    Alex R.
    JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice! I have two bottles of 2004 Lafite in my cellar.
    DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, now that’s a Lafite feat!

I’ve been favorably impressed with the ‘88, possibly because of low expectations and possibly for sentimental purposes. Your note seems spot on.
    robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

DavidG wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:00 pm Wow, now that’s a Lafite feat!.
    Lafeat!
    robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

You know, Orlando is not that far away sir! 😃

That's the way to wake up a forum🤟

Epic bucket list line up for the age's...Bravo sir Bravo! 🙌👏
    Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the excellent notes Stuart, you don’t seem to have much luck with Lafite. When we did a much more modest Lafite vertical in 2018 we got lucky - every wine was on top form and the distinctive theme was the poise and sophistication of theses wines’ mid-palates, which is why for me it is first among equals. As stefan once quipped the only thing wrong with Lafite is the price. But maybe it also has too much bottle variation too and can be inconsistent.
    DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Valid point Ian. But once you get past 20 years or so, the risk of bottle variation increases, and I’m not sure that can be fairly attributed to the estate.
    jckba

Post by jckba »

… or crossing the pond.
    robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am Thanks for the excellent notes Stuart, you don’t seem to have much luck with Lafite. When we did a much more modest Lafite vertical in 2018 we got lucky - every wine was on top form and the distinctive theme was the poise and sophistication of theses wines’ mid-palates, which is why for me it is first among equals. As stefan once quipped the only thing wrong with Lafite is the price. But maybe it also has too much bottle variation too and can be inconsistent.
    Maybe just a conservative scorer?
    robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I had the '90 Lafite 6mos. back... excellent wine, though less expressive than I anticipated considering the vintage.
    JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

Wow! What a line-up!

Always a pleasure and instructive to read your description Stuart on this Lafite Dreamer

Also like your conclusion and comparison of the first growth. Would be a question for a quiz… which one …

Thank

Jean-Fred
    hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

We had two bottles of ‘86 Lafite two years ago for a birthday celebration and they showed real bottle variation. One was extraordinary; the second quite fine but by no means as good as the first.
    s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
    s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Nicklasss wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:51 am On a side note, I enjoy read all your report, especially the ones on FG + Cheval Blanc + Petrus + Ausone + Mission Haut Brion, as I’m trying to analyze and find which one is your real favorite… not easy…
    JeanFred wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:39 am
    Also like your conclusion and comparison of the first growth. Would be a question for a quiz… which one
    Jean-Fred
    Well, I've concluded I don't have an overall favorite because it is so vintage dependent.

But here are my favorites from the vintages we had in the Lafite tasting*:

2018, 2016, 2009: don't know yet
    2000: Lafite
    1996: Lafite
    1990: Lafite
    1989: Haut-Brion
    1988: Haut-Brion
    1986: Lafite
    1985: Margaux
    (1983): Margaux
    1982: Latour, Mouton (tie)
    1978: La Mission Haut-Brion
    1975: La Mission Haut-Brion
    1970: Latour
    1966: Latour
    1959: Lafite
    1961: Pétrus
    1949: Latour
    1953: Margaux
    (1947): Cheval Blanc
    (1945): Mouton

*have not tasted all of them in any vintage except 1982 and 1961
    Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
    JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmm doggie on the video.
    DavidK

Post by DavidK »

It's easy to guess from which NYC merchant the 1982 was sourced.
    Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Just for fun here are my favourite FGs or FG equivalents from each vintage starting in 2010, with the caveat I have not tasted nearly as many as Stu and have lots of gaps

2010: Margaux - not sure how this can be bettered but not tried Latour - run up Mouton
    2009: Mouton, runner up Lafite, but again not tried Latour
    2008: Mouton
    2007: na
    2006: na
    2005: na
    2004: Lafite - by a country mile - runner up Margaux
    2003: na
    2002: Mouton, but not tried Lafite and Latour
    2001: Margaux, but not tried Latour
    2000: Margaux, but not tried Cheval Blanc, Latour or Lafite
    1999: Margaux
    1998: Ausone, Cheval Blanc, Haut-Brion, Lafite are all contenders
    1997: Lafite, runners up Margaux, Mouton and Haut-Brion
    1996: Lafite by a whisker over Margaux, but joint winners; runner up Mouton, Latour is up there, so is La Mission too
    1995: Lafite, runner up Haut-Brion, honourable mentions La Mission and Latour; Mouton and Margaux still a work in progress!
    1994: Margaux, but not tried Lafite
    1993: na
    1992: na
    1991: na
    1990: Cheval Blanc, runner up Margaux, honourable mentions to Lafite, Latour, Haut-Brion and La Mission (but Le Pin trumps them all)
    1989: Haut-Brion, runner up Lafite, honourable mention La Mission
    1988: Lafite, runner up Latour
    1987: Mouton
    1986: Lafite - Margaux and Mouton I guess are runners up but are shockingly variable
    1985: Cheval Blanc, runner up Mouton, honourable mentions to Lafite and Haut-Brion
    1984: na
    1983: Margaux, runner up Cheval Blanc, honourable mention Lafite
    1982: Latour, runner up Mouton, honourable mention La Mission
    1981: Margaux, runners up La Mission & Lafite
    1980: na
    1979: Cheval Blanc, runner up Margaux, honourable mention Haut-Brion
    1978: Petrus & Lafite (despite their Parker scores); runners up Margaux and Latour
    1975: Cheval Blanc & Petrus, runner up Mouton but highly variable, not tried La Mission
    1971: Petrus, runner up Ausone
    1970: Latour, runner up Mouton, not tried Petrus
    1966: Cheval Blanc, runner up Latour, honourable mention Lafite, not tried Mouton or Haut-Brion yet
    1964: Cheval Blanc, runner up Petrus

Not enough experience of any vintages before I was born in 1963

Eight edit - my wine of the vintage in …

1961: La Mission Haut-Brion, 45 minutes of dazzling perfection before it faded; not tried Latour or Palmer (ok should not qualify as a FG) - sad face
    Last edited by Comte Flaneur on Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
    JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Man, I bought two bottles of 2004 Lafite at $180 each tax free, I could have (should have) bought cases of it.
    greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Stuart,

With due respect, 2016 Lafite 94p?? Provenance? Purchased at auction?

I think several of your Lafite bottles cried from not having perfect provenance.
    Last edited by greatbxfreak on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Izak, you could have prefaced your post by saying, “Stuart, with all due respect”
    greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Ian,

Done.
    greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I have one bottle of 2004 Lafite. 2018, 2000, 2008, and 2017.

Btw, I had a frigging' wonderful 2003 Lafite (100p) last September during the yearly visit of 40 chateaux to Copenhagen, who supply the negociant company Beyerman. The stand of Duhart Milon poured their 2022 and 2017, and 200c Lafite for lucky ones who came to the stand early.
    JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have:

1996 Lafite X 3
    2004 Lafite X 2
    2002 Lafite X 1
    2016 Lafite X 6
    2019 Lafite X 6

Total: 18 bottles
    s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

greatbxfreak wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:18 pm Stuart,

With due respect, 2016 Lafite 94p?? Provenance? Purchased at auction?

I think several of your Lafite bottles cried from not having perfect provenance.
    Izak,

The 2016 I purchased in June 2023 from Benchmark Wines in California, one of the most reputable wine shops in the US. They even advertise their "Provenance Guarantee." Of all the bottles I have purchased from them none have been suspect. I don't understand why you think this bottle was based on my note. I score young wine based on potential and it seemed to me that 94 was about right. Perhaps in a decade or two the score could go up (or down).

I do agree however that some of the older bottles may not have been perfectly stored such as the '85 or '78. Unless you buy on release or ex-château provenance can always be suspect.
    Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
    s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

DavidK wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:54 pm It's easy to guess from which NYC merchant the 1982 was sourced.
    It might not be who you think.

I bought it approximately 1990 from "The Wine Connection" in Pound Ridge, New York.
    Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
    jckba

Post by jckba »

s*d*r wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:32 pm It might not be who you think.

I bought it approximately 1990 from "The Wine Connection" in Pound Ridge, New York.
    RIP Max