The 2020 Wine-That-Shall-Remain-Nameless has been uncorked and other ramblings....

JimHow

The 2020 Wine-That-Shall-Remain-Nameless has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

I'm sure this is going to suck....
Attachments
IMG_0693.jpg
JimHow

Re: The 2020 Wine-That-Shall-Remain-Nameless has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

Man, I'm telling you, there is a distinctive deep purple to that neighborhood, Cantemerle, du Tertre, d'Issan, Margaux, WTSRN, etc., etc.
Nicklasss

Re: The 2020 Wine-That-Shall-Remain-Nameless has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by Nicklasss »

Did you taste the 2021 in Montréal? I did not taste it… Which one is the worst (expecting both aren’t very good)?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I am interested in hearing about the 2020 Nameless Wine. Older vintages, bought at auctions, are almost always crappy, but young ones bought from reputable stores can be very good.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm this wine is beautiful! This may be one of the best WTSRNs I've ever tasted. Still very early though, I'll assess with the T-Bone. I'm curious what GBF thinks of this 2020 WTSRN.

I think this is a Bill-Johnson-kind-of-wine.....

Nicola.... Danny and I did have a chance to talk to the winemaker in Montreal, he was very nice and I thought the 2021 was quite lovely even in its very primary stage.
Attachments
imagejpeg_2.jpg
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And, of course, tasting the WTSRN is always another opportunity to post the epic video of our visit there in 2015!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3kZaUnaPF8
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was struck by Danny's question in the video about whether it is still available for "under $50"... that was nine years ago, and we were not so sure that was the case. I got this today at Total Wine in Mass. for $49....

2020 seems to be reasonably priced, like 2019!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Struck also by Ian/Maureen's comments on the mineral character of the 2012 we were sipping among numerous other vintages that day, I'm loving the mineral character of this very serious 2020....
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

Nicklasss wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:26 pm Did you taste the 2021 in Montréal? I did not taste it… Which one is the worst (expecting both aren’t very good)?
I tasted both Cantemerle and Nameless wine but Nameless wine was way better, very Classic, good complexity. I should say that one of the wine who represent pretty well the 2021 Bordeaux that I tasted. I put it in the group of my « second favorite « 

JeanFred
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2020 Chateau La Lagune is the best La Lagune I have ever tasted. This estate has attained an apotheosis. It has a perfect balance of strength, depth, and elegance. It takes advantage of all of the strengths of modern winemaking without selling out to Parkerization and over-extraction. This wine is beautiful. The distinctive spectacular deep bright purple color is the personification of the terroir in this region. The nose is floral, the wine is rich and spicy, forthcoming, joyful. Minerally, a great expression of the Haut Medoc. I rate it an enthusiastic 95 points. The 14% alcohol level is a complete non-factor. At $49, I will easily buy at least another 6 bottles, maybe more. I'd like to try the 2019 and see how it compares. Pretty tough to beat this 95 point 2020 beauty. Love it. Rating: 95 points.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice! I can tell you the 2016 is great too!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Agree fully the 2021 WTSRN was a step above most at this tasting making it a bargain by comparison to most. It was fun chatting with the winemaker whom Jim and I confused with the owner that served us in 2015 at the Chateau when we were on tour who we thought was the winemaker and not the owner. This guy laughed at our confusion. I enjoyed his dry sense of humour. he didn't laugh when I mentioned the 2013 vintage though!!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’m seeing the 2020 WTSRN for as low as $39 on the market, $44 at Saratoga, this seems like an excellent price range for a wine of this quality.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 am Nice! I can tell you the 2016 is great too!
Nic, does the 2016 still need cellar time? How about the 2014… let it sleep?

My notes from a year ago said ok now but better in 5-10 years.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Nice note - and I'm pleased to have some of the 2020 WTSRN tucked away.

The 97 that Ian bought out to NZ a couple of months ago was pretty special as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've been thinking about the 2020 WTSRN all day, Ian, it definitely wowed me. Just great balance.