2000 Ch. Lagrange

AlexR

2000 Ch. Lagrange

Post by AlexR »

I served this wine on Saturday with a roast leg of lamb.

I used a magnum decanter I picked up at a flea market not long ago for 10 euros.
It is often easy to find really nice decanters for sale at rock bottom prices because there is no matching stopper. Seeing as I don’t ever use the stoppers anyway, that means a good deal for me.

The wine had a classic Médoc nose of graphite, blackcurrant, and earth/forest floor. In fact, the bouquet was arguably better than the palate.

This was well-structured and fresh, with good tannin.
While not yet on its plateau, this 2000 Lagrange already delivers most of what it has to offer.

Best regards,
Alex R
JimHow

Re: 2000 Ch. Lagrange

Post by JimHow »

This was a wine that several of us drank in its youth in the early days of BWE, especially from half bottles. We were optimistic about its future back then.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I often think that Lagrange goes the safe way, and the winemaker uses the formula "You never risk anything".

It is a correctly made wine that is rarely exciting, but I would like to know if some more adventurous winemaker could bring this property up in quality.

Lagrange has excellent soil, which does not produce that great wine. One exception for me is the 1990 vintage, where this property excelled.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I agree with you, GBF, I think that about sums it up right. It's generally a pleasant wine but you come away feeling like it could have been more. It's been a long time since I've had that 1990 Lagrange but that was a BWE favorite in the early days.
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Hello,

Indeed, there seems to be a balance between prudence and risk-taking in wine production. Just as in French cuisine, where the use of authentic utensils can make all the difference to the quality of a dish.

Perhaps a more daring winemaker could bring a new dynamic to the estate, while respecting the exceptional terroir available to Lagrange.

The 1990 vintage was a remarkable exception, demonstrating the potential of this property. It would be exciting to see how innovative initiatives could revive this exceptional quality in future productions.
Visit my website.
jckba

Post by jckba »

greatbxfreak wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 pm I often think that Lagrange goes the safe way, and the winemaker uses the formula "You never risk anything".

It is a correctly made wine that is rarely exciting, but I would like to know if some more adventurous winemaker could bring this property up in quality.
I disagree with the above sentiment wholeheartedly.

When Suntory bought Lagrange they replanted vineyards and updated their wine making facilities which were necessary steps that are just beginning to repay handsomely. I’ve truly enjoyed the last several vintages of Lagrange that I’ve tasted at the UGC and I even bought the ‘19 and ‘20 vintages which is strongest endorsement one can make.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

I am in the camp of conservatism on this issue.....not a bad business model, I might add. While I like Lagrange and have since I began my Bordeaux journey, I do believe that consistency is prized over risk. There have been a few vintages where neighboring estates made more compelling wines. The soils at Lagrange are indeed excellent, and the Chateau is well-funded for sure. The investment made by Suntory was deep and broad, but I believe they would rather have 8 of 10 vintages that are good to excellent versus 4 that are legendary and 4 good to excellent....JMHO. Apologies for the drift.