2014 Ch. Garraud, Lalande de Pomerol with dinner

esl

2014 Ch. Garraud, Lalande de Pomerol with dinner

Post by esl »

2014 Ch. Garraud, Lalande de Pomerol (84% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, 14.5% ABV) Lovely deep garnet color, medium bodied, dominant flavor of plum and red cherries with a hint of chocolate, dry fine velvety tannins. The alcohol level concerned me but the wine was well balanced.

We had this Saturday night with New York strip steaks which had a dry rub including cocoa and smoked paprika along with roasted carrots and parsnips and a lettuce salad with a homemade blue cheese dressing. My wife prefers merlot dominant Bordeaux and thought the wine complimented the steak very well. She also detected a note of coffee flavor “Not brewed coffee, but coffee grounds” is what she said. I didn’t detect that at all.

I’ve had Garraud in the distant past and thought it a good QPR wine. Bought this recently for around $26. Store also had the ‘16, ‘17 and the ‘18 in a Double Magnum. Would buy again, will probably also try some of the other more recent vintages.
JimHow

Re: 2014 Ch. Garraud, Lalande de Pomerol with dinner

Post by JimHow »

Nice, esl, I have found 2014 to be balanced on both sides of the river. I think they’re drinking well now at the decade mark.