Happy 24th Birthday to BWE.

JimHow

Happy 24th Birthday to BWE.

Post by JimHow »

It was 24 years ago this morning that I woke up and, on a whim, created this site. I had zero expectations that it would last beyond that day, or certainly not more than a week. 24 years later, through thick or thin, we are still here! It has been a great ride. Happy Birthday to all BWEers around the world who have made this site possible.

And as is our annual tradition, I am posting that very first exchange between myself and Ben “Whuzzup__” Nelson… 24 years ago….

+++++++++++++++

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

I have created this community on 2/26/00 in the hope that I can get at least 10-20 Bordeaux enthusiasts to keep a lively discussion going on a weekly basis. I was very frustrated when Wine Spectator changed the format of their bulletin boards. We had a good community of Bordeaux "experts" under the old Wine Spectator system who came on board regularly and offered a lot of information on tasting notes, where to find deals, etc. For some reason, the editors at WS changed to a much less user-friendly system and they have arrogantly ignored our requests to go back to the old format. If we can get some of the old participants to visit here, and work out any kinks along the way to improve this site, I am convinced we can generate some of the old enthusiasm. Time will tell....

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 1 in Discussion

Hey JimHow. I am in full support. I have tried some interesting wines lately. When I have a little time this weekend I will post some notes. Thanks for taking the initiative. Ben

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 1 in Discussion

Great to see you here, Ben. I'm really game to give this a try. I'll be posting some tasting notes as well this weekend. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, Jim.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 1 in Discussion

Got a question for ya: I like to share TNs with you guys on non- Bordeaux wines from time to time. I figure we all have similar palates so that if I run into something I like I should share... is it ok to break out of the Bordeaux topic from time to time?

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 1 in Discussion

Of course you can write about anything, Ben, I always look forward to your comments. At this point, as we're just getting started, I'm looking for as much discussion as possible....I've got some essays in my word processor that I'm trying to figure out how to get to this site. I've got a lot of ideas on how we can improve this site, I just want to get to know it better. But by all means, give us your notes on California or anything else.... Thanks, Jim.JimHow
Gerry M.

Re: Happy 24th Birthday to BWE.

Post by Gerry M. »

Congradulations Jim on sheparding the best wine discussion forum for these many years!
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Thinking we should do a 25 year tasting of all 2000 Bordeaux.....
stefan

Post by stefan »

Happy 24th, BWE! Thanks, Jim, for creating this board and running it for almost a quarter of a century.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Quite a ride. Is "whuzzup" still running the ship at HDH? Happy BD BWE!
Lucie

Post by Lucie »

I never would have guessed I would be writing this as I have to admit when stefan first suggested we fly to Chicago to meet up with some wine geeks whom we had never met I was a bit skeptical. But as history shows we went and have gone to every BWE convention since, minus one when Stefan had an appointment with a surgeon. These "geeks" have turned out to be some of the most interesting people we know, warm, friendly and definitely generous. When I describe a BWE get together to other friends I typically describe it as a family reunion only where you like everyone. Over the years people have come and gone, but BWE has continued and will I hope for may years. Thanks Jim.
s*d*r

Post by s*d*r »

Congratulations, Jim, and thank you.

Can anyone list every BWE Convention?
Stu

Je bois donc je suis.
Thong_WAS

Post by Thong_WAS »

The BWE just had a new member joining to celebrate its birthday. Congrats, Jim!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Welcome to BWE, TW, and thank you to all BWEers far and wide.
What an incredible ride!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Congratulations Jim and happy BWErthday to BWEs everywhere.
esl

Post by esl »

Congratulations! From my experience not many on-line forums last that long. Looking forward to next year's silver anniversary.

As a recent member, I wish I had known about this board some time ago when I lived in Sacramento, CA. Seems there are several other members in that area and would have liked to have met them. Are there any members in eastern Kansas? I am south of the KC metro area?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Congrats to the longevity of BWE and all the friends we've made along the way. Well done Jim for sticking through this amazing site and making it all happen. Many happy returns.
Danny
William P

Post by William P »

Makes me feel old, but it has been fun.

Bill
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Happy Birthday to our BD's baby!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Tom In DC, you and Gail have been BWE joys in my life, I truly hope to see you soon.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you, dear BWE!
Happy birthday to you!

An incredible achievement for a non sponsored site.
Friendly, generous, loveable people is the secret.

Started from a sparkle from Jim.

Long life to BWE.