The 2019 Chateau Meyney has been uncorked and other ramblings....

JimHow

The 2019 Chateau Meyney has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by JimHow »

Another week in paradise....
Attachments
IMG_0752.jpg
ericp

Re: The 2019 Chateau Meyney has been uncorked and other ramblings....

Post by ericp »

Cmon BD. Give us something!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

3 bottles of 2019 Bordeaux to end the February without alcohol challenge? Priceless!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I will report back on the 2019 Meyney in the morning, I'm tired tonight and going to bed.
Suffice to say it will be yet another very positive report of a 2019 Bordeaux wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What was it, a couple years ago, the Farr's tasters sipped the recently bottled 2019 Bordeaux and, without any equivocation, declared it "the greatest vintage ever." And I said, ok, that's great, but come on, how can you declare a vintage the "greatest ever" when you are tasting them so young, when they are so primary, etc. I have a lot more 2019s to taste, I've probably tasted about 20 different 2019s so far, but I have to say that, without exception, for my taste, anyway, I have found these wines universally stunning. To me they are defined by beautifully ripe and velvety tannins, but also by what the wines are NOT: They are NOT hot, they are NOT heavy, they are not overexctracted, Parkerized, trying to be something they are not. The 2019 vintage has impeccable balance, the hallmark Bordeaux balance of strength, structure, and elegance. Again, I'm not sure I completely understand the term "light on their feet" but the wines I've had have indeed been beautifully ripe without being heavy or wearying. The generally high alcohols in excess of 14% are a slight concern but I guess that is something we will watch develop in the decades ahead. This vintage is not much like 2014, which I love, but, like 2014, I think the wines will drink great in that 10 to 20 year window. And from what I can tell these 2019s are uniformly great across the region, from the northernmost areas of the Medoc, like the Meyney I had last night, and the 2019 Montrose, which was last year's BWE wine of the year, on down to the more southern parts, where d'Issan may the best ever, across the river where I've been wowed by wines like Corbin, Pavie Macquin, Beausejour Becot, and others. I have found myself declaring that particular bottlings have been "the best ever," like the "best Cantemerle ever," the "best Langoa Barton ever," etc., etc. In the case of the 2019 Cantemerle I found it so, so smooth, and yet offering traits from some of its biggest and best vintages like 1989, 2010, and 2016. And, of course, perhaps because of the pandemic(?), the 2019 pricing has been some of the best we have seen in years. I always thought the 2016 vintage was going to be hard to beat, but 2019 at the very least rivals it, and perhaps surpasses it, in that 2019 seems to have an added personality and friendliness, an added joyfulness, that the classic 2016s might not universally offer. (This is no criticism of 2016, I still think it is an epic vintage and have exactly 200 bottles from the vintage in my cellar, including the likes of Lafite, Mouton, Haut Brion, etc., etc.). As for the 2019 Meyney last night.... As someone mentioned on cellar tracker, it ain't those Meyneys of yore from 1986, 1989, etc. And if someone can figure out how we can bring back the winemaking of the 1980s they will certainly be appreciated in my book. But as for modern Bordeaux, this 2019 Meyney is about as good as it gets. A stunningly opaque deep, rich purple, cedar, very, very St. Estephe, I thought it was just a touch sweet in the first couple of sips but that ended up not being the case as it matched beautifully with a nice strip sirloin that I cooked up on the frying pan. Cassis, blackberries, a touch of spice. Sweet. Beautiful mouth-filling fruit but, again, its strength is in what it is not. It was rich but not heavy or tannic. And coming in at "only" 13.5%. I don't know if it is the "best Meyney ever," but it is the best Meyney that I've tasted in a while, and this is a favorite property of mine that I try to get at least a few bottles of each year. And at $30-ish per bottle? Are you kidding me? This is better than your typical California cab at $130-ish. I love the 2019 Chateau Meyney, and will buy more. Rating: 94+ points.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A nice little quick summary of 2019 St. Estephe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtlZhODzEFs
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I’ve done several 2019 tastings over the last few years and I’ve rarely been as positive about young Bordeaux. With a few exceptions, I think it is a “BWE” type of vintage as I think most here are keen on more classically styled wines with freshness, balance, medium body and good length. It is arguably better in the left bank though at least very good in St Emilion. Pomerol is also a star.

Not sure I ever see the point in hyperbole like “greatest ever” vintage but the ten year period 2010 to 2019 has yielded several excellent vintages and maybe two lesser years (13 and 11 to a lesser extent).

The wines from 2020 are also excellent and yesterday I broke my no more EP buying rule and just hope I live long enough to drink them all. This vintage is closer to 2015 than any other recent year but with more structure and depth. Maybe a theoretic blend of 15 and 16 as the richness of these wines hides the tannins and acid to a point.

2020 is outstanding on the right bank and at a large tasting of 100 wines, there were none I consider to be failures. Canon was one of the best young right bank wines I’ve ever tried with a magical combination of modernity and classical structure.

I know that the wine world is changing but seriously, both 2019 and 2020 are excellent vintages that rival anything I’ve ever tried.

Cheers
Mark
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Cave spoiler.
Nothing new here in good old europe, guys.
Almost every vintage since 2009 performed well. Except 2011 and 2013 maybe.
2012 an 2017 in context somewhat ok.
But look out for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2018 too if you can find one at a reasonable tag.
Smart buys.
Won't ever give 94P's for the 2019, but that's Jim, and ok for him. If you like the more hedonistic style of Chateau Meyney look out for 2018.
I prefer 2016 and 2014, aprox 91-92P.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The wines from 2020 are also excellent and yesterday I broke my no more EP buying rule and just hope I live long enough to drink them all.
Well done, Claudius2, very well done indeed.

Whether 94 points or 90 points, Ognik, I'm buying another dozen bottles of 2019 Meyney!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You are a true Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast, O, and your insight is much appreciated here, even though you "only" rank BWE-favorite Meyney at 90 points.... It's okay... It's ok. I'll give you a pass.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice ramblings Jim. I agree with you on 2016. I hope you are right on 2019 as I have a fair number but have tasted only a few on release. Very appealing but I have trouble predicting the future on such young wines.

By the way, sending you one of these as you’ve apparently lost yours. :lol:

IMG_0465.jpeg
IMG_0465.jpeg (7.5 KiB) Viewed 125 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know, what is going on, what am I doing wrong! I'm very limited when it comes to internet technology.