UN POINT C'EST TOUT ! par la Pépinière Berillon

RPCV

UN POINT C'EST TOUT ! par la Pépinière Berillon

Post by RPCV »

A bit of a re-post from our wine forum partners on another board, this video offers a look at how vine genetics and the reemergence of massale selections are influencing wine-making in France today. As an agronomist, I found it fascinating. We agronomists always say "it starts with the plant material selected and then the soil". This video really gives you a nice look at how it influences wine and the mistakes of the past in selecting clones for vigor and resistance. A rare look at a few of the icons in the business as well....Lalou Bize-Leroy, Jean-Louis Chave, Peter Sisseck, etc. Worth a glass or two of wine to relax you way through the video.....English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_swr89zZWE&t=2410s
DavidG

Re: UN POINT C'EST TOUT ! par la Pépinière Berillon

Post by DavidG »

Just started watching, am fascinated. Thanks for sharing!
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Nice english version of the website for the vine nursery showcased in the above video:

https://lilian-berillon.fr/en/

So cool...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just watched the first five minutes, will finish it over the weekend.
I'm curious to get to the ending and its conclusions.
I'm honestly wondering whether I am going to be more positive or more depressed.
I wonder what Dom Perignon would think? I think he used to harvest In November, no?
Thanks for sharing it, RP.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks for sharing the link. I found the documentary very interesting and problems the wine industry are facing with vines dying prematurely aided by global warming// and the impact this has on the global industry as a whole. The major importance of vine/clone/grafting methods and matching to terroir to ensure an extended lifespan to recoup replanting cost seems like a major obstacle facing all but the well healed producers. It has to change for the industry to survive climate change but what they are doing will it be enough and in time. Looks. like prices will rise and volume production will decline. At some points it ended a little of the old nursery rhyme Chicken Little!
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I dunno, Ognik, after watching this video I think I'm going to stock up and not wait five years.
We got like hardly any snow this winter here in the Great State of Maine.

I uncorked a bottle of 2013 Dom Perignon in Montreal with the Canadien BWEers. It was delicious, nice and ripe, it didn't seem to be flawed in any way. But there wasn't a bubble to be found. Where were the bubbles? Was this a flawed wine? Or merely a harbinger of darker things to come?

Thanks for sharing this, RP, very interesting... and disturbing.