Your least favorite famous Bordeaux aoc…

Which is you least favorite?

Margaux
11%
Pauillac
No votes
Pessac Léognan
15%
Pomerol
7%
Saint Émilion
56%
Saint Estèphe
11%
Saint Julien
No votes

Total votes: 27
Nicklasss

Your least favorite famous Bordeaux aoc…

Post by Nicklasss »

So which one is your least favorite? Clearly for me, Saint Émilion.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Your least favorite famous Bordeaux aoc…

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I couldn’t put down St-Emilion given how much it is improved in the last decade and given that Cheval Blanc was my wine of the year last year. So by a process of elimination the one I love least is St Estephe but I still love St-Estephe but not as much as the others.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

St. Emilion, Estephe 2nd
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I voted St Emilion but that doesn’t mean I dislike it. They are all spectacular, it’s just that somebody has to come last.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I am sorry, but I found the voting process quite amusing. It seems to me that every district has its own unique wines, some better than others.

Personally, I don't think that basing a vote on tasting minor wines with unknown origins during less-than-spectacular vintages is a reliable way to judge their quality.

However, I do have my own opinion based on my experience tasting Bordeaux wines since 1983. I was surprised to hear Ian's comments, as he mentioned that Saint Estephe was his least favorite AOC. I wonder if he considers wines such as Cos, Montrose, Calon Segur, Meyney, Phelan Segur, Haut Marbuzet, Lilian Ladouys, de Pez, Tour des Termes, and Serilhan disappointing as well?

When it comes to Saint Emilion, there are so many great wines, such as Cheval Blanc, Beausejour Duffau, Tertre Roteboeuf, Barde Haut, Corbin, Grand Corbin Despagne, Corbin Michotte, Laroze, Soutard, Larmande, Croix de Labrie, Tour de Christophe, Valandraud, Fleur Cardinale, and Mangot, to name a few. I wonder if anyone finds these wines disappointing?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, I also like them all. I place St Estephe in last place, below St Emilion.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

For me, it is like when i tasted a Saint Émilion, the wine « got it or not ». Yes there are stellar wines for me, and some that seems to never make it for me. But i did not tasted everything in every vintages, different time of the years at all time of the day or night… at 5,10 or 35 yo. But i did not for all others Bordeaux AOC as well.

Some Saint Émilion don’t seem to be my cup of tea, example i never been convinced by Troplong Mondot or Pavie Decesse. But Cheval Blanc, Figeac or Canon seem to always got me. And there are so many wines produced that many are « quelconque » for their price.

Concerning improvement in Saint Émilion, yes it is probably true… like for all other Bordeaux AOC! And how many Saint Émilion improved enough to become proeminent figures of all Bordeaux? Which Saint Émilion have become proeminent like Lynch Bages, Pontet Canet, Calon Segur, Giscours, Haut Bailly or Vieux Château Certan?

Also, look at Margaux where many Châteaux improved their wines as well : du Tertre, Giscours, Issan, Brane Cantenac, Cantenac Brown, even Desmirail, Kirwan or Durfort-Vivens. How Saint Émilion compare to Margaux?

Last,for Saint Estèphe, i agree with GBF that many wines,like in Margaux, have improved, especially the Crus Bourgeois.so again, how Saint Émilion wines compare to that?
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Another bird brain comment:

“I was surprised to hear Ian's comments, as he mentioned that Saint Estephe was his least favorite AOC. I wonder if he considers wines such as Cos, Montrose, Calon Segur, Meyney, Phelan Segur, Haut Marbuzet, Lilian Ladouys, de Pez, Tour des Termes, and Serilhan disappointing as well?”

When I said:

“ So by a process of elimination the one I love least is St Estephe but I still love St-Estephe but not as much as the others.”
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Yes, it important to point out that « least favorite » doens’t mean « don’t like », and at the end, i just want to generate interesting discussion on that restrained topic.

Everyone have good reasons to chose either one or the other.

And of course,i prefer Saint Émilion wines to many merlot wines from other parts of the World.

And hoping BWE can help Saint Émilion wines producers (or any other Bordeaux AOC), to get even further improving the wines of their whole AOC 😀
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Lol....Ok...who voted for Margaux?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think you would like that 2014 Larcis Ducasse, Nicola.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I voted Pomerol b/c of the pricing :mrgreen:
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Flawed poll. No option for “none of the above.” I dont have a least favorite Bordeaux commune. I am a Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast. :D
barsacpinci

Post by barsacpinci »

I agree none of the above! But I chose St Estephe simply because I because I haven’t had as many from there!
Brian Pinci
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

DavidG wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:39 pm Flawed poll. No option for “none of the above.” I dont have a least favorite Bordeaux commune. I am a Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast. :D
DavidG for President of the USA!

This is a perfect answer from a politician (trying to please everyone, but at the end, we don’t believe it).😩
Ognik

Post by Ognik »

Pessac. No improvement as far as i can see.

Margaux is hot since 2015. A lot is going on now. Some may say there was much space for improvement, but they took their chances.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I'm in the boat that I can find love for many in each one of the appellations. If the question were reworded to which appellation has caused you the most disappointments then I'd agree that St Emilion would be up there for me with the most overdone. disappointments. Nevertheless there are many in this region that I keep coming back to like Tour St Christophe being the #1 in my cellar as for number of bottles with just over 10 cases total. Tough now that health not allowing me to drink but my wife is still enjoying.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:59 pm
DavidG wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:39 pm Flawed poll. No option for “none of the above.” I dont have a least favorite Bordeaux commune. I am a Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast. :D
DavidG for President of the USA!

This is a perfect answer from a politician (trying to please everyone, but at the end, we don’t believe it).😩
OK, serious answer is St Emilion. Too many disappointing over-modern Napa-esque wines. Though I hear that they’ve dialed it way back, that’s my answer and I’m sticking to it!
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

I too voted St. Emilion for reasons outlined by others.....over-the-top, oak, alcohol etc. Although since 2016, my thoughts are that restraint has become the norm. Interesting that St. Julien and Paulliac received no votes. I imagine that most Bordeaux cellars are represented more heavily by these two regions that others.....and for good reason.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nic, you should do a most favorite appelation poll. I’m sure we’ve done them before. I’m probably an outlier there, my favorite is Pessac-Leognan.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

My favourite would be Pauillac, and as noted least favourite is St-Estephe.

But everything else - St J, Margaux, Pessac, St E and Pomerol, is very closely bunched with the pecking order between these middle rankers just too close to call - for example St J has the fewest superstars but the greatest consistency.
ericp

Post by ericp »

The little voice in my head saying 'no, thats my favorite... no that's my favorite...' This is a bit like asking which of your children do you like the least!
I have a similar view Ian, very close groupings lead by St Julien and Paulliac, but with St-Estephe right up there!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

St E-too many "grand crus" that aren't. Did I say I'm a left banker?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Man that 2014 Larcis Ducasse I had the other night was a beauty.
ericp

Post by ericp »

Thinking about 1/2 a case of the 19 Larcis Ducasse Jim 🤔
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Me too E, a half case of the 19 and 14 each.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Over the years I have somehow come to like the wines of St Emilion more though that is with a grain of salt as some wines have become too alcoholic and heavy. Some of the St E's from the 80's were outstanding but the 90's (except 90 and 98) was not a great decade for the region.

So given a forced choice I said Pessac-Leognan BUT there are some brilliant wines from that region.
Yet the style of the wines in the northern Medoc is preferable to me overall, and the right bank makes the best Merlot based wines from anywhere.
C'est la vie.

cheers
Mark
marcs

Post by marcs »

I can’t. I just can’t pick one of my babies to spit on. Sorry.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Come on marcs: someone like you can say easily that Léoville Poyferré is not fit to his nose/palate, or that the 2003 Pavie is crap to him, but not which one of those 7 appellations is your least favorite? Bullshit! Don’t worry, even if you spit on one of your babies, it won’t cry or spit back at you!

Or maybe you’ll not vote this fall as you can’t decide who could be the best President for the USA, as both want the best for USA but indifferent ways?😩