2012 Du Tertre

Comte Flaneur

2012 Du Tertre

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Our second visit on the first day of our Bordeaux tour in 2015 was Du Tertre. Although a comparatively lowly address compared to what was to follow that day, it was one of the highlights of an amazing trip. From the tour of the winery with our delightful hostess with fetchingly child bearing hips, who no doubt would have made a happy husband out of a young man by now, to the long languid lunch by the swimming pool on a pleasantly warm, but not hot, spring day. I remember loving this when I tried it at the chateau and it was the first case I purchased after the tour, among several (including Ponet Canet 2011 which I plan to try in the next couple of weeks). I paid £195/12 in bond. It has gone up quite a bit since then but not doubled. I released the case and cracked the first bottle tonight. Just as delightful and charming as when we tried it in 2015 the Margaux berries are singing joyfully from the roof tops. What a joyous wine. I took delivery of six and put six up for sale, and I am thinking that may have been a mistake, despite being in my seventh decade.

IMG_2306.jpeg
JimHow

Re: 2012 Du Tertre

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, Ian, that visit was one of the highlights of the trip, don't forget the helicopter. Gerry M picked up six bottles for me in NH but I've never rendezvoused with him to pick them up. It was about this wine that I first heard you utilize the term "a revelation."
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

However; beyond the nose, it does not deliver a whole lot of nuance or complexity. It is a perfect mid-week quaffing wine, but still loving it for what it is.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Nice note. I must have had a half dozen or more of its second wine from the same vintage, Du Terte Les Hauts du Tertre 2012 and remember really enjoying it. Very Margaux and at a great price.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Ian,

Great memories brought back to life. I also picked up a case of this and case still stays sealed. Over on the Costa del Sol starting to recover somewhat from a major long covid setback that started in Montreal after UGC tasting and the worsened through our Florida tour along with a significant adverse drug reaction before coming here. First glasses of wine in over a month and survived. I thought drinking days were done and maybe they are but I'll start with a glass or so and see how my body reacts. Not fun but all those bottles in the cellar were being sold last month but wife refused and maybe she was right. We'll see but looking forward to cracking the case when we're home.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Hope you’re feeling better Danny. As my doctor always tells me: moderation.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good report Ian, and i remember that highlight from 2015, the lunch at du Tertre. I would tend to be with you that many times, the nose of du Tertre is more complex than the mouth. I felt the same about 2010. But donthey just need more time? And yes the 2012 at the Château was as sublime as our hostess…

What was thename of theit Toscan wine (Caïrossa?)?

Dstgolf, hope you’ll get better as you seem to have some health issues since a few weeks. Surely not fun as sometimes things change too quickly.

I know most say Wisdom come with age. I’m personally more founded to Distress come with age… and i’m only 50
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Sorry about your travails Danny that sounds awful. Here’s hoping you get back in the swing of things pdq. I want to be sharing plenty more bottles with you!

Nic I think you are spot on about Du Tertre, with the nose flattering the rest of the wine somewhat.

Yes their Tuscan was Cairossa

Think Giscours is getting its act together now. Do you remember that impenetrable 2004 we had at that lunch? I tasted the 2020 a year ago. It was sensational.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I hope you are past the worst phase and continue to improve, Danny. Are you able to play 18 now?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Stefan,

In the Costa del Sol trying to recoup away from home and slowly improving. Played 18 yesterday in cart and bagged at the end shooting a discouraging 87! Little control over the ball strike a putter sucked with unsteady hands. Hopefully it will come back slowly. Crazy this roller coaster year with long covid has been. Those two major set backs in Montreal then worse in Florida I don't want to repeat so taking it a lot easier here but loving it being back on the Costa! This feels like home and likely come back next year if all goes well.
Danny