TN: 1986 Meyney

Claret

TN: 1986 Meyney

Post by Claret »

Some friends that were in town for the Safari Club International convention joined us for dinner and some good wines. I brought this wine, and opened the bottle for about 3 hours before we started drinking. The color was a really nice mature ruby with a brick rim. The bouquet offer up a good complexity of black fruits and some spice. The nose was clearly opened for business, and got even better as the night wore on.

There was more black fruit on the palate, along with a still strong core of tannins. After 23 years the tannins have started to soften, but are still noticeable. As the wine continued to open up, it gained more smoothness and length on the finish. This was another really good showing for this wine and is far from being over the hill . It is better than the very good 1988, 1989 and 1990 trio, and on par with the 1982.
Glenn
Blanquito

Re: TN: 1986 Meyney

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks for the note. I just scored a pristine bottle of this for $50, and your note makes me glad.

I am big fan of the 1989 Meyney (once it opened up sometime around 2002-2003), so if the 1986 is better, I'll be very pleased.
Claret

Re: TN: 1986 Meyney

Post by Claret »

My botlles cost $15.99 in the late 80's. Now with two decades of cellaring, they are showing really well. Out of my cases of futures from 1989, I have consumed 10 bottles. The 86 has a more complex and developed nose, with an old school structure. Third growth quality.
Glenn