The solution for Saint Émilion?

Nicklasss

The solution for Saint Émilion?

Post by Nicklasss »

No Perse, no de Bouärd, no Rolland, no garage wines,... only Vauthier? More Vauthier!

Tonight, a second bottle of the 2015 Le Petit Vauthier is something very special, bordering a superb creature. Dark red, a superb (did i wrote SUPERB) nose, with (watch out!) red berries, rasberries, blackcurrants, pine and cedar tree, spices, meat, chocolate. Complex, hypnotic, perfumed, Köln water. Mouth is medium strength, very drinkable, with all that mixture of cedar, blackfruits, blackcurrants, complex light bitter oak wood, spices and light mineral austerity " à la" Ausone. Tannic, long, black prunes with cedar and earthy finish. Impressive! Beat all the Saint Émilion wine from my last Saint Émilion tasting. Tn: 93-94.
Nicklasss

Re: The solution for Saint Émilion?

Post by Nicklasss »

What? Ouch.
Attachments
Clearly an exceptional qpr
Clearly an exceptional qpr
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Is that a négociant blended wine?

To be fair, traditional Bordeaux drinkers the other side of the Atlantic have always been more Médoc oriented.

The big bruisers of Saint Emilion, while not a thing of the past, are certainly less prevalent today.

Between adapting to climate change and planting much more Cabernet (both Franc and Sauvignon), I think the people on the Right Bank are setting the right tone.

AR
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Niclasss,

You seem to state the truth based on having tasted one wine.

Try to taste both Beausejours in recent vintages, and you will know better. Yes, they are more expensive. Duffau-Lagarrosee is a great threat and almost Burgundian in its appeal.

Imho, all the cries out of St. E. being this and that worse are way out of reality, etc.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Of course GBF, i exaggerate a bit and there are many good wines in St Émilion, the two Beauséjour are among them.

But i don’t know from which vineyard or mix of vineyards is coming, but i thought it was great, kind of link to Ausone style, complex, classic, no glossy, over ripe or too oaky tones.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I tried quite a few St Emilions from 2019 and 2020 last year and with few exceptions they were excellent wines. That includes Beausejour which I recently ordered on EP from 2020.

I’m surprised this region doesn’t get much love sometimes and over the last four decades or more I’ve learned to love it more - though not at the exclusion of the other Apellations.

The 2020s that I tried late last year were outstanding and I struggle to think of young Bordeaux I have enjoyed so much with Canon being brilliant. Not very often a wine blows me away.

Cheers
Mark