2003 La Tour Blanche, 2000 Poujeaux

AlexR

2003 La Tour Blanche, 2000 Poujeaux

Post by AlexR »

Three wines with dinner on Saturday night.

We kicked off with 2006 Castelnau Champagne. I was unfamiliar with this house. The wine seemed far younger than its age with good tension and fine balance. A nice discovery.

We then had 2003 Ch. La Tour Blanche with duck foie gras. Sauternes and foie gras is one of the most hallowed food and wine matches in France and, when it works, is indeed a great gastronomic experience. This LTB, however, was a caricature of the 2003 vintage: too rich and syrupy without the requisite structure and acidity to provide a counterpoint – a disappointment from a wine I normally appreciate.

The main course (veal blanquette) and cheese platter were accompanied by a 2000 Ch. Poujeaux. I am a longtime advocate of this estate which was, for many years, a cru bourgeois exceptionnel (they have since withdrawn from the classification, for whatever reason). I have often found that Poujeaux represents excellent value for money, is made in a traditional style that I like, and that it ages well.
My impression this past weekend was perhaps a little less enthusiastic. At 23 years of age, the nose was that of a classic Médoc (more a northern one, in fact, with graphite and blackcurrant nuances). However, the wine was not quite as good on the palate. It was somewhat angular with tannin that still had rough edges – not, to me, the kind that disappear with age.
I will find out though because I have another bottle in the cellar.

Alex R.
stefan

Re: 2003 La Tour Blanche, 2000 Poujeaux

Post by stefan »

I drink a lot of La Tour Blanche, partly because I like and partly because it is the favorite Sauternes of a friend. I appreciate the 2003, but I am not surprised that it did not go well with foie gras. IMO, it is a wine to drink by itself or with a salty cheese or salted popcorn.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Foie gras is not salty enough, and its fatness doesn't go well with the abundant sweetness of LTB 2003.

Stefan is perfectly right for this wine to accompany salty cheeses like sheep and goat cheese. I would also pair it with smoked salmon, oysters, crab, shrimp, and even lemon sorbet and ice cream.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And… Maine Lobstah!!
jckba

Post by jckba »

While I generally prefer younger Sauternes / Barsac to older examples, with Foie Gras this is especially so.