I had a 2019 La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou the other night that was a revelation.... 94 points.

JimHow

I had a 2019 La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou the other night that was a revelation.... 94 points.

Post by JimHow »

Over two decades ago I drank a 1996 La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou. It was swill. It was a supermarket wine at best. Thin, shallow, watery. No resemblance to the first label. For over twenty years, I have just basically kept away from this wine. Over the years, however, I have heard from some like Racer Chris, Nicola (?), others, who have been impressed by more recent vintages. And I saw a bit of a buzz on cellar tracker. So, when I saw some bottles of the 2019 La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou on the shelf in New Hampshire this week, I decided to buy a few bottles. I uncorked one the other night.... As Sacha Baron Cohen would say: Wow, wow, wee! I found the 2019 La Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou quite stunning. First of all, I could tell this ain't no supermarket wine just by looking at it... the deep rich, bright black/purple color was a harbinger of the depth that was to come. This was a concentrated, first-label level of a wine, they poured the good grapes into this bottle, it was rich, classy, very St. Julien, very Ducru, could have easily passed as the first label to me. Stunning. I bought four, I have three left, I'll buy another dozen more. A real revelation, as Comte Flaneur de Boulevardier would say. Wow, wow, wee!!!! Rating: 94+ points easily, probably higher. I'll give another bottle a try to see if this was an aberration or if it was really as good as it appears.