2014 Chateau le Puy Cuvee Emilien

RPCV

2014 Chateau le Puy Cuvee Emilien

Post by RPCV »

For Easter dinner we opened this wine, the only one in the cellar.

This is 1970's old-school merlot! Nothing out of place; acid, fruit, tannin, mineral, and earth are harmonious and complimentary. Lifting aromas of ripe, bing cherry fruit, black currant liqueur and damp loam. Silken mineral and velvety texture on the palate. An elegant wine that cleanses the palate and begs you to come back for more. 13% with a wax closure and Ecocert organic. Family-owned since the 1600's.

Worth seeking out more.....I'm looking for the 2016 or 2019!

Importer Neal Rosenthal notes:

Le Puy’s main-production wine “Emilien” is comprised of 85% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 1% Carmenère. After spontaneous fermentation in cement vats, it is transferred to 50-hectoliter foudres for one year, then to old 225-liter barriques for an additional year, before being bottled without fining or filtering. There is a harmony of elements in the wines of Le Puy—a weaving together of acid, fruit, tannin, mineral and earth—that is spellbinding. The “Emilien” offers a succulence of sappy red fruit as well as a driving, tunneling palate of remarkable energy. A subtle but irresistible umami pervades the palate and grounds some of the wine’s higher tones with its savory pull.
JayLives

Re: 2014 Chateau le Puy Cuvee Emilien

Post by JayLives »

I had 2017 twice, the first bottle I had three years ago was flawed but the second bottle that I had a couple of months ago was much better and enjoyable. looking forward to trying some stronger vintages.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I lile that wine, and had many vintages in the past.

RPCV Your decription of the style of the wine is pitch perfect! Very nice wine to enjoy, with great freshness and fruit.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

A real joy to drink. Brought me back to the old days....
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Le Puy is beyond quirky.

Their wines have shown very spotty vniification with resulting flaws.

They are very popular in Japan because they figure prominently in the Japanese manga "The Drops of God", which focuses on fine wine.

The owners have been lobbying hard for years to create a separate appellation just for their estate, which seems a nutty thing to aim for since the liklihood of its being granted is just about zero.

I don't think I would buy their wine but, for the experience, I'd like to visit the estate one day.

Best regards,
Alex R.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Thank you Alex. I trust your palate and will reserve my purchase to a bottle or two.