Old Burgundy Dinner with small group of friends

barsacpinci

Old Burgundy Dinner with small group of friends

Post by barsacpinci »

A small group of us got together at Joel’s for dinner and some old Burgundy. This group has converted me to the beauty of old Burgundy. I wish I purchased more in my youth to lay down like one in the group did. I only cellared Bordeaux and Cal Cabs. I remember buying Burgundy but always considered them daily drinkers! Probably how I’m treating Oregon Pinots now but shouldn’t.

1985 Pol Roger Brut - Dark gold color with plenty of fizz left. Not much of a nose but Hazelnuts on the palate. I was quite surprised this was so delicious. 93

2007 Cristal - A lemon yellow color with a perfumed nose of green apple. A lot of yeast, bread, and toast on the palate. A very delicious wine drinking perfectly right now. 97

2002 Potent Ampeau Meursault - Charmes - Pretty dark in color. Some baked peach flavors but a bit past prime. I thought acidity was almost gone. But interesting to try. 88

2014 Vincent Girardin Meursault - Charmes - Very nice wine drinking great. A bit of a steeliness to it but nice acid and stone fruit. Several years left on this beauty.. 94

1964 Mommessin Gerry Chambertin - Not corked but odd sourness to it. Flawed

1982 Drouhin Laroze Clos de Vougeot - This was my WOTN. Soy and Hoisin on the nose. Surprisingly youthful with bing cherry flavors. Drinking beautifully right now but still some years left to it. 97

1983 G Roumier Morey Saint Denis Bussiere - Nice dark color. Light nose of red fruit followed by strawberries or wild dewberries on the palate. Just a tad too sour for me but still very good. 91

1983 Drouhin Charmes- Chambertin - definitely cherries and my second favorite of the reds. It had some forest floor to in addition to the berries and had a very long finish. I think this is at its prime. 96

2010 Chanson Chambertin - Clos de Beze - Stuck out like a sore thumb because it was so much younger than the other bottles. If I was drinking this with younger Burgundy or even Oregon Pinots, I would have loved it more but it didn’t quite fit in with the theme. Plush ripe fruit to it with nice gripping tannins that need more years to integrate. 95 potential 97 in 10-15 years.

1999 Kalin Pinot Noir Cuvee DD - This was my ringer and I served it blind to see if these old Burgundy lovers could determine what it was. They did very well identifying it quickly as California and then one suggested Kalin. Stewed and smoky flavors to it but very interesting to drink Showing some complexities I was surprised to find. I’ve read others think it has many years, but I don’t think so. Drink it now. 92

1988 Guiraud - We love our stickies! Big nose Lots of apricots on the palate. Yum! 94

Brian
Attachments
2024-04-06_20-35-00_967.jpeg
2024-04-06_20-47-36_488.jpeg
Brian Pinci
JimHow

Re: Old Burgundy Dinner with small group of friends

Post by JimHow »

I think Tommy brought that '83 Drouhin to a dinner at Black Salt a few years ago and it was beautifully a point then as I recall.
Thanks for the report BP, sounds quite sublime.