2020 Troplong Mondot

PghMike

2020 Troplong Mondot

Post by PghMike »

So very different than the 2015 which I tried last year based on a few posts in BWE. Day 1 a little reticent but dark fruit and felt just a little bit disjointed. Day 2 shows very lively and even a little red fruited and much more harmonious. The new Troplong still has body but also has a steely purity. The nose almost has a crunchy/crystalline feel to it which I don't recall experiencing before. Good stuff. Hard to rate given the disparity between day 1 and 2 - maybe 93 or 4 for now.

14.5 abv
jckba

Re: 2020 Troplong Mondot

Post by jckba »

Haven’t tasted a Troplong since the ownership / style change but your note got me wanting to try one.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the report Mike, I need to try one. I'm one who enjoyed the 2010 Tropling Mondot, in spite of / because of the alcohol that came in at about 22% I think. It was like dating a stripper. I think I'll pick up a bottle or two of the 2019 and 2020. I think NH has the 2016 for like $130ish.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I have the 2018, 2019, 2020, and they have fabulous potential.

These wines perhaps represent the best vfm in St-Emilion because the terroir is superb. And now the oak/gloss/extraction has been dialled down to sensible levels the terroir can shine through
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Comte Flaneur wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:20 pm I have the 2018, 2019, 2020, and they have fabulous potential.

These wines perhaps represent the best vfm in St-Emilion because the terroir is superb. And now the oak/gloss/extraction has been dialled down to sensible levels the terroir can shine through
I disagree. For me Beausejour (Duffau Lagarrosse) is better choice vfm and neighbor Becot is coming back strongly.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

In the UK Troplong Mondot is significantly cheaper than Beausejour D-L, and in recent tastings I have attended the BDL just didn’t stand out from the pack the way Troplong did. Hence my vfm prospectus. But it is always healthy to disagree.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I really enjoyed the 2019 Beausejour Becot, bought a couple extra bottles. I'm anxious to get some 19 and 20 Tropling Mondot in my cellar. Some are ranking the 2020 at 100 points.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Farr Vintners hasn't had Beausejour DL on the list since the 2016 vintage. Strange.

Here in Denmark, TM was some 23 £ cheaper than BDL in the 2022 vintage. Both were the same price in previous vintages.

BDL changed hands and got a new winemaker in 2021. One who worked with Maxime Cheurlin at a famed estate in Vosne Romanee, Domaine Georges Noéllat.

I don't say TM is an inferior wine; just for me, BDL has a better expression of limestone terroir with more CF in the blend.

Jim,

Beau-Sejour Becot 2022 is the best effort yet for me from this property!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I'm not arguing about one wine or the other, but 2020 is stunning in St Emilion and Pomerol.
I did the Union tasting here in Singapore last year and the wines were delicious young.
Not sure if they will close down - the 19's did for sure, but the wines in the right bank seem to show the best aspects of both 2015 and 2016.
Don't asume that they won't keep well as the structure is there are development.

I bought Beausejour DL for the first time in a long time, plus numerous other right bank wines.
Since the testing I ordered about a dozen wines and last week bought a few more right bankers (Clinet and Grand Mayne) at what were historically good prices. The Clinet for example was a lot cheaper than the EP price for the same wine in 2009.

cheers
Mark