Is the 1997 Poujeaux worth $35?

Blanquito

Is the 1997 Poujeaux worth $35?

Post by Blanquito »

I see this wine available for $35, never had it, so I'm looking for a little enablement if warranted.

Thanks!
Comte Flaneur

Re: Is the 1997 Poujeaux worth $35?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

In a word yes

This is not the best kept secret in the world but having tried it for the first time earlier this year was not disappointed (see below)...there is such a lot going on with this wine

As I think Alex mentioned serving this blind against more illustrious names would give you an idea of its intrinsic worth

Funnily I was just enquiring about getting some in the UK, where I can probably get it for slightly less - Phil (of England) if you are reading this, how much did you pay?
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I would say it's definitely worth it, although I can't say how many you should buy. I only had it once around five years ago, but it was really impressive. Other BWEers seem to be impressed, as well.
-Chris
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

I think I cleaned out MacArthurs of this probably in about 2004 and I'm sure it was in the $20s, just for reference. Here's a note from 2004:

1997 Poujeaux. Even given the favorable notes previously posted about this wine I was still pleasantly surprised by it, particularly in contrast to some other '97s I've had. The style is light and bright, but structured. A medium ruby color. Penetrating bouquet of cherries and vanilla, quite floral. The palate follows the bouquet, with plenty of sweet fruit and very lively acidity, yielding a near-juicy texture. The finish is dry and reasonably persistent, with a surprising amount of tannin. Plenty of essence. It does not have the gravity or roasted quality of the 2000, but shares a certain similarity nonetheless.

Sounds good to me. I should have another one soon.
PhilR

Post by PhilR »

Hi Iain

£206.15 all in (duty/VAT) and free delivery - from here: http://www.nickollsandperks.co.uk

Works out at about $28/bottle delivered by my calulations so a bit cheaper.