Wines from the holidays

Nicklasss

Wines from the holidays

Post by Nicklasss »

Wines from the holidays.

I've been 18 days in holidays, and we did some camping, visiting family in Québec City and Montréal, and finally resting in Charlevoix. We stayed in Québec this year, but it was not cheaper than if we would have been somewhere else. Lots of wines opened during these many days and here are some really quick TN :

2004 Méo-Camuzet Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Feusselottes : An amazing complex Bourgogne. Smooth, fruity, spicy and earthy. Probably one of the best red I opened during the holidays. TN : 93.

2005 Ridge Geyserville : Genuine to the Ridge style, but not giving as much as it should. Closed? Really good anyhow, but I preferred the 2006 Lytton Spring lately. TN : 88.

2006 Croze-Hermitage Les Meysonniers blanc from Chapoutier : Dark yellow. Nose of mandarine and light peaches. Honey, white peaches and light lilac in mouth. A good wine and amazing as there was a leftover and I finished it 15 days after, and the wine held really well all this time... TN : 90.

2007 Numéro 1 Bordeaux blanc : Light style, sauvignon, citrus, good acidity. Herbal but still ripe. Nice quaffer. TN : 84.

2005 Chateau d'Argadens Bordeaux supérieur : A superb cheap Bordeaux. Nice merlot character, with all the violets, red-dark berries and earthy minerals expected. Chewy in mouth and not overripe. For less than 20 $, a wine full of pleasure, proving that Bordeaux can lead with their wines under 20 $... TN : 90.

2005 Domaine Duclaux Côte-Rôtie : I'm a fan of this estate. Always rightly proced and really Côte-Rôtie in style. Dark red, rasberries, fat, black pepper. In mouth, add some smoke and mineral and you can't find more elegant syrah in the world. TN : 91.

2007 Chablis Simonnet-Febvre : Since I drank the 2006 Les Clos from Domaine des Malandes with dstgolf, I'm looking for a cheaper Chablis with the same characteristic... impossible to find. This village Chablis is good but nothing amazing there. Good acidity and mineral character, but slightly liquid and missing a bit of fruits. Still well drinkable on a 85 F day. TN : 85.

2007 Riesling Cuvée Théo from Domaine Weinbach : They sell their wines at a nedium to high price, but I think I have never been deceived by a Weinbach wine. This Riesling is just a perfect expression of Alsace, with and extreme elegance. Honey, wax, lemon, lime, white flowers on the nose. In mouth, superb balance between fat, acidity, fruits and minerals. Long. Prove that the best white don't need oak at all. TN : 92-93.

2005 Bourgogne Réserve from Antonin Rodet : This is not the basic Bourgogne, it is the Réserve, so supposed to be better. This wine prove that 2005 was great in Burgundy. This is a perfect generic Bourgogne. Medium red color, nose is perfumed on fruits (strawberries, rasberries, red berries), flowers and light oak. in mouth, smooth, thick and seductive. Ligthly chill, it is perfect on a warm day. 12.8 % alcohol, not burning. Perfumed final. Nice. TN 89-90.

1998 Chateau Corbin : A St-Émilion Grand Cru Classé we don't see often here. A genuine classical St-Émilion wine. Nose of ripe dark berries, plums, earthy and light oak. Spices too. In mouth, medium weight, all in balance. I liked it very much but I think it was the last bottle available in the Province! TN : 91.

2002 Chateau Rieussec : A very nice Sauternes. Light gold color, all the aromas of acacia flowers, light botrytis, apricots, mango and light vanilla. In mouth, concentrated, all the flavors are in balanced with the sugar and acidity.Thick. Maybe a bit too much bitterness on the final, but should improved with age. TN : 92.

2005 Calera Ryan vineyard 30th anniversary : A well made California Pinot. Nothing to do with Burgundy. This is not etheral, this is pure pleasure. Lots of red berries and oaky spices. Medium weight and seductive. Light burning finish, low level of tannins. TN : 90. Considering it price (59 $) compared to the Rodet (25$), the Rodet is better.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Wines from the holidays

Post by Nicklasss »

I bought some more 2005 Chateau d'Argadens yesterday. I opened a bottle last night and I reconfirm that this is really nice for 19 $. This wine is produced by Sichel, who is owner or co-ower of Chateau d'angludet and Palmer...

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have really liked the Weinbach Cuvee Theo Riesling in the past, but no longer seem to see it in the local stores.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Nic,

Thanks for sharing your notes on a very interesting set of wines.

Just goes to show that Canada offers a lot of scope to wine lovers.

All the best,
Alex