The former BWE

JCNorthway

The former BWE

Post by JCNorthway »

Out of curiosity, I went to the old site just now to see if anything was happening. This is the most recent post (yesterday) was a reply to Jim's announcement that we were live - from one of the family bidding a fond adieu.

Message 5 of 5 in Discussion
Good Night and God Speed.

RIP http://groups.msn.com/BordeauxWineEnthusiasts

To parody an historical quote: The BWE is dead. Long live the BWE!

Jon
JimHow

Re: The former BWE

Post by JimHow »

You know, Jon, I was thinking about that this evening. I'm sure JScott and the others who were on the old Wine Spectator site would agree. The parallels with what happened nine years ago, when we left a dysfunctional WS site, are very striking.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I'm seeing more TNs from more posters than we've had in a while, and I don't think it's just the first blush of enthusiasm. The MSN site was just too much of a PITA for many people.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

And once we get the CellarTracker import, I bet it will get even busier here.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah I mean we were fighting with one hand tied behind our backs with all the log in issues, and the freezing up, and the spam, etc. The shutting down of MSN Groupswas a definite blessing in disguise. I mean, that was ridiculous over there.

...That Cellartracker feature is VERY exciting.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim,

I was an avid lurker and occasional poster on the original Spectator site. In the beginning I enjoyed the energy and comraderie that seemed to develop (not counting the occasional "mine's bigger than yours" discussions). But when they implemented the new site, it was almost immediate radio silence.

I don't intend to draw any parallels between that and the current situation - other than than the masochistic tendencies of the site owners - but it is radio silent over there.

Jon
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, it's quite interesting.
I'll always have a place in my heart for the MSN site, I guess, it was kind of like when the Apollo 13 astronauts lived in the lunar module for four days to preserve the command module. It was cold and barren and bare bones, but it enabled them to survive to better days.

We've been here about thirty hours and MSN is already beginning to seem like ancient history. This site is just so comfortable to deal with!
JScott

Post by JScott »

JimHow wrote:You know, Jon, I was thinking about that this evening. I'm sure JScott and the others who were on the old Wine Spectator site would agree. The parallels with what happened nine years ago, when we left a dysfunctional WS site, are very striking.
Funny how it goes. The oddest part is that we really had issues with MSN almost from the beginning, but tolerated it, and talked about moving for almost as long as we were there. Finally did it out of necessity, and I'm now wondering why we didn't do it earlier. I had forgotten about the Valentine color scheme incident until Michael mentioned it on another thread. We really put up with alot of crap over there.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, I must admit I was the biggest advocate for staying on MSN because I was convinced that, despite its faults, the format was somehow a contributing factor to the dynamic that led to the success of the site. I must admit that I was completely wrong. It's hard enough to maintain a successful website without all of the crap we had to deal with over the years on MSN.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Jim, it is interesting that you mention Apollo. I was at the Kennedy Space Center last month in 80 degree temps, and it was an awe inspiring and monumental experience. Walking under a full length 363 feet long Saturn 5 rocket laying on its side 20 feet above you, seperated at the various stage sections with full views of the rocket engines, and also a trainer lunar rover, and LEM. The firing room sim of the actual Apollo 11 mission was also moving, seing the video screens and monitors all lit up while the actual audio track cackled and giving the final GO! commands, leading into the now famous 10 second countdown. You even get to touch a small sliver of basalt moonrock. There is the International Space Station building too. The IMAX 3D screening of the Space Station with spacewalk footage on the huge screen was like actually being in space, except with gravity.

The space shuttle launch simulator attraction was incredible. After one is strapped into their seat in the sim cargo bay, it extends to almost fully vertical, and then blasts off for several minutes, and goes through various seperations of fuel tank and SRB's. It kicks like a mule and is fairly loud. There is so much, much more to see and do there, and the basic 2 day admission is only $38. For anybody visiting Daytona or Orlando, KSC is well worth the ride, especially for those who enjoy technology and history.

I too was a lurker and then poster on the WS Bordeaux board in its last doomed days.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I did the same tour about five years ago, Glenn, that room with the original launch control monitors was awe inspiring, as well as looking out at the original launch pads of the Apollo missions.