BWE Maine: Cabbage Island Clambake

JimHow

BWE Maine: Cabbage Island Clambake

Post by JimHow »

I just got off the phone with the Cabbage Island clambake people.

The website is: www.cabbageislandclambakes.com/clambakes.htm

This is the trip that I took Kathy and Rick on last September, it is really a lot of fun.
The Moore family that owns the island are the nicest people you'll ever meet, the owner was a friend of my mother.

The "Argo" boat leaves from Boothbay Harbor and winds through the islands off the Maine coast to Cabbage island, where we are treated to a tremendous feast of two lobsters, steamers, corn on the cob, blueberry cake, onion, etc., etc. You'll be stuffed by the time it's over.

The trip to Cabbage Island is about an hour, we stay on the island a couple hours or so, and it is 45 minutes on the way back.

I just checked the remaining time slots they have available. The fellow said there are still "plenty" of spots left on the boat for each of the remaining trips, so it doesn't sound like we need to make any decisions immediately.

Nonetheless, I highly recommend this trip, if we can fit it in.

Here are the times remaining available for the BWE weekend:

Friday, September 11th, at 12:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 12th, at 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, September 13th, at 11:30 a.m.

The whole trip is about four hours long.

Sunday is probably out because it sounds like most BWEers are heading home that day.
Saturday evening would be good, but I would want to monitor the weather forecast because it may be pretty cool/cold in the evening.
The best time may be Friday, but that would require us to leave Lewiston fairly early to make the one-hour drive to Boothbay Harbor, and those coming from Massachusetts would have to leave really early.

Or you guys may decide that it just doesn't fit into our schedule. Again, the good news is that it sounds like we still have some time to decide.
Daytonnc

Re: BWE Maine: Cabbage Island Clambake

Post by Daytonnc »

We are game - I would prefer Friday or Saturday over Sunday. We leave to return to Boston on Sunday afternoon as we have an early morning flight on Monday out of Boston.

Susan
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I think Friday makes the most sense as that would leave Saturday open. Also, since we can't byob I'd rather do it in the afternoon. Warmer weather as well and you can see everything
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Friday would be my preference as well. Don't expect to be able to eat a big meal on Friday night, though, these Cabbage Island meals are humungous.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If we do it on Friday, we'll probably want to leave Lewiston by 10am at the latest.
Rick

Post by Rick »

The Clambake is a lot of fun....bring sweatshirts in case windy or cold

When there Jim will stealthly pull out the corkscrew while one you go up to the server stand and grab a few plastic cups ....the same cups they use for wine so your glass of wine will look like everyone else
Except the Sauternes - you are bringing sauterens aren't you :):)

Have fun - we did

Rick and Kathy
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'll miss you and Kate, rick, we'll stealthily hoist a glass of Sauternes in your honor.

The more I'm thinking about this, I think the Friday cruise will work the best. We'll need to leave from Lewiston by 9:30-10 am.
Michael McNamara

Post by Michael McNamara »

Hi Jim
Fridays fine with me for the clam bake.

Regards,Mike
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I vote for Friday as well. Any others from Massachusetts able to get up to Boothbay by noon on Friday?
Daytonnc

Post by Daytonnc »

The Daytons are in as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I got an email from Jay, Friday seems to work best for him as well.
I'm going to call Cabbage Island tomorrow to confirm that reservations wont be a problem for Friday.
Then maybe we'll wait another couple days to monitor the long term forecast. Right now they're calling for a thirty percent chance of rain on Friday, which is not a big deal. The weather up here has been spectacular, absolutely stunning September New England weather, and it is supposed to get even better at least through next Thursday!
JEP_62

Post by JEP_62 »

Lisa and I won't be able to make it up that early, but don't let that change anything. Lisa's not into lobster anyway (I know, sacrilege).

Andy
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Okay Andy, we'll see you later that evening.

I just called Cabbage Island to get a feel for how the Friday afternoon clambake was booking up. He sounded confident that it is not going to sell out and we still have plenty of time to make reservations.

I would like to wait another day or two just to continue to monitor the weather report. Right now it is calling for a 30% chance of rain on Friday. Unless it is like a complete torrential downpour, we should go ahead and book it. They have indoor dining accomodations if the weather turns for the worse, and a lower deck on the boat. Right now I count me, Mike, Peggy, Jay, Sue, Rob.

They're calling for a sunny day on Saturday in the upper sixties. The weather has been absolutely splendid so far in September and, other than possible showers next Friday, it looks like it is going to be even more spectacular going forward!

Of course, this is New England, so that forecast could change in the next ten minutes....
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Jim, Susan and I can't make the clambake, either. We will see you all Saturday, though. What are our plans for that evening. I am dying to drink some Bordeaux, so we gotta find a way to make that happen! Maybe the motel has a place we can crash to have a tasting, even if we have to bring food in or cook out on a portable grill or something?!?

Any "must-do" recommendations for the area for a nice Saturday morning/afternoon excursion?

Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Give me a day to put some thoughts together Mike, I'll get back to you on your questions.
daramg

Post by daramg »

Sounds like a lot of fun...
I was contemplating going to the same clambake last month when we went to Maine for a vacation. Have fun~
RDD

Post by RDD »

I plan to have great time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm going to go ahead and order six reservations for the Cabbage Island clambake on Friday at 12:30 p.m.

I just got off the phone with them and they said there are plenty of spaces available. So if anyone else would like to go, just let me know.
Michael McNamara

Post by Michael McNamara »

Thanks Jim
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

No problem, Mike. Man, what weather! Today may be the nicest day of the year: 83 degrees, sunny, but dry and just a hint of fall in the air.
RDD

Post by RDD »

JimHow wrote:No problem, Mike. Man, what weather! Today may be the nicest day of the year: 83 degrees, sunny, but dry and just a hint of fall in the air.
Perfect weather to catch some rays, drink some wine, and eat some cheese..................
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've made reservations for Friday for six of us. They accept cash, checks, or travelers checks, but not credit cards. The boat leaves at 12:30 pm, but they said we should be there by 11:45. We should leave Lewiston around 10.

Jay's Brooklyn cheesecake arrived this morning, it's in the refrigerator now, I'll try to keep my hands off of it 'til you guys get here! :oops:
RDD

Post by RDD »

Do thay take Confederate dollars?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was thinking last night, you mentioned that you had some problems on the road in Maine. By any chance does your rental car have Massachusetts license plates?
RDD

Post by RDD »

Hi Jim - Susan here - yes, they are Massachusetts plates. Is there a ME/MA feud going on???????? I could understand if they were vanity plates with the Yankees on them.

I called Artisanal - cheese should be there before 5.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, Susan, we have a nickname up here for people from Massachusetts. But, hey, everyone in Massachusetts is rich so I guess if they support the local economy, I guess they are allowed in.

Are you expecting the cheese to be delivered today, or tomorrow?
RDD

Post by RDD »

cheese is shipping today (overnight) and will be there before 5 tomorrow! Can't wait. We sure are enjoying this fantastic weather!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm telling you, this weather we've been having in September has been the best we've had all year. It's going to be a little more fall-like the next few days, but should continue to be splendid nonetheless! See you guys tomorrow!
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Greetings from Boston where we've also been enjoying great weather. I understand many lobsters are making evacuation plans as the BWEs descend. Jim, I completely understand if a piece of the cheesecake was lost in shipment before our arrival. I can't wait for some of the Artisinal cheeses-they are the best!
RDD

Post by RDD »

Some of the lobsters didn't get away!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You know, David Foster Wallace wrote a thing a few years back about the pain that lobsters suffer as they die. Don't listen to this nonsense that they have no brain to speak of, etc., and therefore don't feel the scalding heat. They suffer. Oh how they suffer as we torture them to death before eating them for our pleasure! :twisted:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've posted this here before. Woody Allen, Bernie Madoff, and lobster....

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/2009/03/ ... outs_allen
RDD

Post by RDD »

JimHow wrote:You know, David Foster Wallace wrote a thing a few years back about the pain that lobsters suffer as they die. Don't listen to this nonsense that they have no brain to speak of, etc., and therefore don't feel the scalding heat. They suffer. Oh how they suffer as we torture them to death before eating them for our pleasure! :twisted:
I used to hear this line of reasoning from PETA about fishing.
A Marlin has a brain the size of a walnut. Just enough room to manage swimming and eating.
We alwaysed released bill fish. Now with Yellowfin, Mahi and Wahoo it was a different story.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah well, we're gonna suffer our own boiling pot in the final moments anyway, I'm gonna eat the lobster this weekend whether they died an excruciating death or not! So there!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Did they get lost at sea. How could that be weather is picture perfect in the North East. I'm jealous!

Danny
Danny