TN: 1992 Le Bon Pasteur

tim

TN: 1992 Le Bon Pasteur

Post by tim »

I'll start this tasting note to say that I am not a fan generally of Le Bon Pasteur. When we were in Paris and visited the Rolland lab, I concluded that Le Bon Pasteur was my least favorite wine of the trip. It seemed overdone, overripe, overconcentrated, and completely out of balance. So when one of my local wine stores recommended the 92 Bon Pasteur, I had immediate hesitation. However, the theory is that Rolland's methods are most evident in weak vintages, such as 1992, where (according to one website) "due to the weather, this vintage should theoretically have been mediocre, but, thanks to these new techniques, the wines were of very good quality." So I took the advice of the seller and bought a bottle.

As with many mature or semi-mature wines, I popped and poured, although this probably could have benefited from some short decanting. The first thing that I thought as I took my first sniff was "is this Bordeaux?" It didn't have that mineral characteristic that I have come to expect in a Bordeaux, although later it did let a little show through. Instead, this seemed like it was equally over-extracted, but it is not weak at all. The color is a deep red, with surprisingly little signs of age. The nose smells of cedar and sweet mint, with some eucalyptus. There is also a touch of spice, perhaps cinnamon or cloves.

On the palate, it seems extremely well balanced, and only mildly tannic. It is soft, pleasurable, and tends to focus mostly on the front of the mouth. The finish is somewhat weaker, and although its possible to still taste the wine, the linger of the pleasure is minimal.

In summary, Le Bon Pasteur seems to work for 1992, and it is a surprise to say the least. I've had maybe one or two 92's over the years, and all I can remember is that I didn't have a desire to seek out another. However, given the price point, I would likely gladly choose the 92 Le Bon Pasteur again. It is ready to drink now, and is as good or better than some of the more recent vintages for the lesser estates.

Tasted with homemade Duck Confit over the course of around 2 hours :)
sdr

Re: TN: 1992 Le Bon Pasteur

Post by sdr »

Great note, Tim, and good to hear from you. I bet you speak French like the natives now.

It seems logical that the most heavily extracted wines would work best in the rainiest vintages.

~stuart
tim

Re: TN: 1992 Le Bon Pasteur

Post by tim »

Not quite speaking French that well yet, but getting there.

Looking forward to coming back over for the 2010 convention though! And hopefully we'll be able to do another Bordeaux trip in the coming years! I still haven't been down to visit the vineyards since I moved here...and I owe Alex a visit as well...